HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Player Character Design  (Read 905 times)

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
Player Character Design
« on: Oct 26, 14, 06:00:12 AM »

So, we are now working on modelling our player character models.

I have thought about it a lot but would also like to hear your opinion on these plans and its viability.

At a basic level, there will be 3 sizes of model for both male and female - Small, average and large.

With each of these models, will be sub divided into parts for swapping out equipment. So feet, legs, waist, chest, neck, head, upper arm, lower arm and hands

So that is 9 swappable parts to use in the dynamic character system. I guess my main question would be, what do i tell my modeller to do when making the character models? We have done static characters which are easy because their appearance doesnt really change other than texture wise.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Re: Player Character Design
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 14, 11:33:53 AM »

have them read through the dynamic primer and tutorial. Understanding the texture bank, and tinting systems will be a big help. One person on your team needs to understand the parts file scripting so you know what you can do with the conditional rules. Start planning them out.

Make sure you don't forget that you need a few options you forgot about. AKA hair. Does a wizard hat for example make the character bald? In most cases want something like bangs, top hair, neck hair so you can toggle them on and off based on the hat / helm wore.

From there take your character and break him apart to each piece, and make two different parts for each, and test a quick option of swaping between them. HE has enough pieces there to use the f5 tools for basic testing make sure you get it right.

Try and put "sets" together if possible players love sets, and your graphics cards love sets, as they can usually fit in a texturebank, and thus get combined into one draw call which will help a ton.

Good subpart atlasing can become a key to success.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]