HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: server side physics representation for NPC control  (Read 922 times)

Maldris

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
server side physics representation for NPC control
« on: Nov 25, 14, 07:11:45 AM »

I've been working on the new ability system for my project and after allot of planning and much more blundering and testing and fixing we have a basic system that more or less works.

I have a question that has arisen as a result of discussions on how to implement somewhat edge case abilities in this system.

The one that I'm unsure how to implement involves selectively aware physics. As an example, say the creation of a wall of force. This wall allows players to pass through it, but not NPC's or vis versa.

Preventing players passing through a region is simple enough with our existing implementation, just turn on physics for the prop when its created from its replicated root. However, making this representation on the server for the npc's movement is more difficult, and the subject of my confusion.

Would anyone have suggestions as to how to create a physics representation for an arbitrary piece of temporary geometry that will only effect the server side npc's and not the players, when this geometry is introduced by an ability at an arbitrary time and place.

Thanks for your help and kind regards,
Maldris

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Re: server side physics representation for NPC control
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 14, 11:52:43 AM »

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Maldris

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: server side physics representation for NPC control
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 14, 02:52:33 PM »

not sure how I missed that when I read that exact page previously  :-[ but its been one of those weeks

those methods will require some work to apply to more complex regions like a cylindrical annulus, but I'm sure I can manage.

Thanks for your help, that's given me a few thoughts on how to proceed.