HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: SpeedTree import problems - Solid lines appear through the tree's leaves.  (Read 2581 times)

Aftershock

• World Owners
    • View Profile

I suppose this would have been better posted on SpeedTree forums.  I'll see if some people here have experienced the same issue first.  I'm using SpeedTree v6.2.2 which came with our HeroCloud purchase.

Well I'm not entirely sure where one would post this, so I'll put it up here since it's an Asset issue and I was unsuccessful at finding identical issues I'm having.

So I decided to go back and play around with SpeedTree for a bit. Normally I design my own models in 3DS Max for many reasons.  One reason of which has come back to haunt me.  I've found a fix for it, which is completely un-installing, re-downloading and re-installing SpeedTree through the Dashboard.  However it's getting rather annoying to have to back my stuff up and replace when this issue arises on and off again.  I'm just curious if anyone out there may know why or have a solution to what is going on here or have had identical issues.

The issue is that some times when taking a tree I done through SpeedTree, uploading it to my HE world and placing it within... my leaves get these solid lines displaying through them.  I'm not sure why this happens.  The texture size I typically use is 512x512, though I have recently started to try out 1024x1024 as well to see if I'd take a loss.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

It loads the Capture image the same in the asset library as well.  The tree's in the background are done via 3DS Max, so they can be ignored.  It's just puzzling why suddenly SpeedTree decides to pull this on me.  If anyone out there has an idea of what is going on, I'd appreciate the help.  The folders & files have the same name in the repository and are found in the exact same location from my PC.  I've tested at least three other tree's, even one using nothing but SpeedTree templates / textures and they all had the same result.  I'm sure it's some rookie experience I'm having difficulties with.  It keeps happening from time to time though and is disheartening to go through the same frustrations over and over again.  Though it's to be expected in game development anyway! :)

If I can't get this figured out, I suppose I'll go back to figuring out why my tree's leaves (when modeled in 3DS Max) won't cast shadows (They do in other engines though).  Then figure out how to get keyframed animations working.  As to make my own "wind effect" on the leaves.  I followed the wiki steps, but being new to that category it failed. ;)  Forgive me ahead of time if I don't understand questions that may fire up from this.  If anymore details are required, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine

It's difficult to tell from your sshot's distance, but the line appears to be at the bottom of every billboard texture or leaf texture?

To debug this, I would paint a different solid color a few pixels wide on each side the texture, and paint the alpha for those pixels to 1.0/1.0 or 255/255 depending on your art package.

Then, you can tell which side the problem is on.

Once you know that, you can track it back to a dirty alpha channel, incorrect texture addressing, or some other setting

Cheers

herb marselas
graphics guy