HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: World building tutorial 101 - Needs some voice over  (Read 1644 times)

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
World building tutorial 101 - Needs some voice over
« on: Jan 08, 15, 12:32:02 PM »

Any chance of getting some voice to go with this tutorial here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQBGyJlhgtA

You quickly make a very nice looking area here, would just be nice to have some voice over to explain what is going on and when. Cheers.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: World building tutorial 101 - Needs some voice over
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 15, 01:31:37 PM »

The point was actually to show how fast you could build worlds, but there's really not much at play in the video.

1. Textures, diffuse and normal
2. Brush tools, and the power of the various smoothing tools
3. Using masks to apply specific textures and brushes to specific slopes

It follows the basic wiki tutorials, but playing around is the best practice. I suppose some artistry is involved. :-P

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 15, 03:23:06 AM »

It does look nice, easily on par with anything a world building software could come up with and in only 30 odd minutes. Guess it just takes some knowing what all the tools do to be able to create nice, natural looking terrain like this.

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 15, 08:26:44 AM »

raven67854 has some world building tutorials on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQV1SBngVKw
He also shows how to use the Water system to add rivers and lakes.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 15, 10:30:52 PM »

Yah Ravens videos are handy for starting out using the engine for sure. The main thing is to train train train in sculpting natural looking terrain that flows and can play well in a game. Ive seen (and made) some bad looking terrain with similar tools, so it pays to watch Coopers video a few times to try and understand what is going on there.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 15, 12:08:00 AM »

Yeah i agree it would be helpful to get some and this is how i'm doing this aspects instead of just hmm ok.

Mainly for newer people to the engine, but as is with all sculpting tools it's mainly just loading into it and taking off. Lots of practice to get things just right.

I think the biggest piece is using the slope limit tools so you can really refine things just how you want it in a hurry.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

ConvertibleTurtle

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 15, 09:49:33 AM »

I agree with the above posters here. Trying to learn from watching a silent movie without any type of reasoning or explanation is akin to trying to learn Zui Quan by watching a brawl break out during happy hour.

You can do it, but it will take many mistakes, errors, and judicious use of Ctrl-Z to figure out why the actions you take do not match the actions of the silent video.