HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: FX system and performance  (Read 949 times)

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
FX system and performance
« on: Feb 09, 15, 12:38:31 PM »

Hi! I tried using the FX system for some of my FX, but i found out that since its one of the most powerful systems on the market it requires a decent amount of time and effort to wrap your brain around. Something I, as a single developer, don't really have.

So i decided to use a shortcut. I just need a couple of basic FX, like explosion or two, some force lightnings and muzzle flashes. For that i'm using a set off billboards which i spawn via a prop bucket, and then simply "play" the effect sprite sheet on the billboard frame by frame (by changing the uv of the texture).

The question is... is this method generally good regarding performance, or should i really reconsider it? Will it backfire in the long run?

Thanks

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: FX system and performance
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 15, 03:01:09 PM »

I would say it is likely you're going to spend more time trying to get a satisfactory result with that "shortcut" than it would take to learn enough of the FX system to get the effects you need.  The system is really quite straightforward and there are some good tutorials you can run through in not much time at all.

I suggest just trying some tutorials with the FX system and learn it in pieces.  You should easily be able to get up to speed within an afternoon.

jcsmith562

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: FX system and performance
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 15, 07:18:19 AM »

The FX system takes some practice, but it is very good and worth learning. One you get the hang of it it's easy to use and powerful.