HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: (Solved) Setting objects to no physics - Performance gain?  (Read 931 times)

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online

Is it worth settings things that the player cant get to or touch to having...

Physics Type: No_Physics
Physics Shape: No_Shape

Does this help to boost performance, if a bunch of meshes dont have any physics calculations to deal with? Cheers.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 15, 10:27:20 PM by Prometheus2012 »

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Re: Setting objects to no physics - Performance gain?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 15, 09:27:04 PM »

Yes, it will lighten the load on the client's physics calculations, a tad but don't expect huge performance gains if the meshes were marked as static. Since nothing has to move it's sort of a load and forget, so you will shave a bit of performance off just don't expect a huge night and day, unless you have a ton of meshes etc.

The only possible thing I don't know right off hand, is if no_shape would affect culling I'm going to say no, but would want to test that scenario.

But anytime you can remove any calculation the players machine has to deal with, the better you are. especially if you going to look for lots of action.

Often times I'll split really tall meshes into a modular aspect just to remove physics blocking when i can, sure a fireball might go through a building or something but players tend to not care. since 95% of player wants is game play and only 5% wow factor they tend to lean towards good gameplay / performance over a few random meh aspect.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Re: Setting objects to no physics - Performance gain?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 15, 09:29:15 PM »

oh and don't forget to use the analysis tools they can be great for seeing if something does or doesn't affect the client etc and by how much.

Cause it's always independent between games, etc.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
Re: (Solved) Setting objects to no physics - Performance gain?
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 15, 10:27:44 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. Squeezing every little drop of performance gain is what optimisation is all about eh :)