HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: HeroEngine Windows XP EOL Dates  (Read 2445 times)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
HeroEngine Windows XP EOL Dates
« on: Apr 03, 14, 04:02:49 PM »

HeroEngine Windows XP End of Life

When the HeroEngine moves to the new DX11 rendering system and .net 4.5, its support for Windows XP will officially end. It's been a good run with Windows XP, but progress marches on...despite some of that progress being Windows 8.

The .net 4.5 update will deploy to the cloud sometime in the next 4 to 6 weeks. At that time, Windows XP based machines will no longer be able to use the HeroBlade, or the HeroCloud player client.

Why is this happening?
-Microsoft is ending all Windows XP support as of April 8th 2014
-Microsoft's DirectX 11 does not support Windows XP
-Windows XP is going on 13 years old
-Microsoft's .net 4.5, a requirement for many aspects of Windows 7, does not support Windows XP

So, you can see, despite everything in your being telling you to yell at me about it, that there just isn't any way to hold onto Windows XP forever, despite so many of us wanting to. If it makes you feel better, Valve's Steam platform statistics, the best indicators of what player hardware is in the market, puts the total number of Windows XP machines in operation at less than 8%. And of those machines, most of them don't have a video card that can support shaders, which would put them out of the market regardless.

I'm Furious, What Can I Do?
Unfortunately, there's not much you can do. You are welcome to yell about it in the forums, and post all of the statistics and explanations and vitriol you can muster. But technology marches forward, and it's out of our hands. Please direct any anger you have towards Microsoft and request that they provide support for DirectX11 and .net 4.5 on WindowsXP. There are a myriad of reasons why they cannot do this, but I assure you that we possess 0 ability to make it happen.

Projects On Beta Servers Looking to Stay on DirectX9
If your project is at the Beta stage and operating on its own Dev, Staging, and Beta worlds, then you have already been contacted with the option to remove your Beta Cluster from future HeroEngine updates and essentially freeze it in time at this point as far as the HeroEngine main codeline is concerned. So far, no groups have opted for that option. We also don't recommend that you do this, but it is an option we provide.

-From the HeroEngine Team
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 14, 04:42:36 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
Re: HeroEngine Windows XP EOL Dates
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 15, 05:34:43 PM »

As part of the transition to the future HeroEngine client architecture, Windows XP support is being retired as of the upcoming Quartz.d release (Q1 2015).
herb marselas
graphics guy