HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Dont be shy. Share your Knowledge with the Community  (Read 1373 times)

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
Dont be shy. Share your Knowledge with the Community
« on: Mar 26, 15, 11:52:22 AM »

As the HE is a smaller community than other engines, it means information is a bit sparse in a few areas. We can all help remedy this by taking a few minutes out of our busy development schedules to post a few tips and tricks that we have learned while working within the engine.

I know some of you are shy of sharing your "top secret methods" but if you have figured out a neat way of doing something that hasnt been documented you should at least think about making a tutorial for it.

We will all be better off with other teams being successful. Dont let others suffer in silence if you know of something that could help them out. Lets be proactive about information sharing guys.

You can go to the at the Unity or UDK forums...and there are more tutorials and video tutorials than you could possibly look through in a lifetime. These cover essentially every aspect in working within their respective engines. From creating the tiniest little gizmo, to making an entire FPS multiplayer game.

I personally vow to post some indepth tutorials on creating basic particle effects and also how to get the state system to make some basic moving doors...once i can figure out how to do them myself. Ill also be posting any other art related tips and tricks i have personally achieved.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 15, 11:56:59 AM by Prometheus2012 »

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Dont be shy. Share your Knowledge with the Community
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 15, 07:31:38 PM »

I agree. I did post the one tutorial about attaching a script to an object so you can interact with it, but so far that's all I've figured out how to do. I am a 3D artist and programming is my weak point. Someone long ago posted here that they would make a tutorial for a skill based system similar to Ultima Online, but they never did. Too bad, because I really could have used that one!

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 15, 10:59:37 AM »

Art based tricks and tips are as needed as coding ones :)

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 15, 06:50:39 PM »

Good point! Once I get more comfortable with the art pipeline I'll probably make a few short tutorials. Especially for more complicated things like dynamic characters and changing materials (using Material Override) in game.