HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (Solved) Particle System bugged?  (Read 2205 times)

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
(Solved) Particle System bugged?
« on: Mar 30, 15, 04:17:42 PM »

Hey guys. I created a particle in an area. I CTRL-D to copy it. When i copy the particle it doesnt seem to work right. All the settings are the same but its like the particle is inactive.

Other times i copy, the particle is active and working, but it looks much different than what i copied. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 15, 08:45:49 PM by Prometheus2012 »

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
Re: Particle System bugged?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 15, 05:41:58 PM »

Ok over time the particle that i created seems to have become corrupted.

The particle has gone from looking exactly like it should, to currently not showing or working at all.

Changing the settings on the particle did nothing to effect its appearance once it becomes bugged.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 15, 06:00:18 PM »

Ok here is a timeline of events.

1 - Top image shows the original particle working perfectly.

2 - Middle image shows how the particle "corrupts" over the course of a few minutes time to become just a single puff of smoke or single representation of the texture that it is using.

3 - Bottom image shows what the particle looks like over time, plus when i try to duplicate it and drag it around the world. This also happens when i add the original fully working particle into the asset library and try adding an instance of it that way.

« Last Edit: Mar 30, 15, 06:05:19 PM by Prometheus2012 »

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 15, 07:41:29 PM »

What if you create a new instance of it instead of just copying?
I know copying should, but wonder if by going create particle and then picking it if there is a difference betweeen the ctrl D method of new instance.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 15, 08:41:36 PM »

What if you create a new instance of it instead of just copying?
I know copying should, but wonder if by going create particle and then picking it if there is a difference betweeen the ctrl D method of new instance.

Ive tried everything. This does include adding a new instance in the method you described. usually the new instance doesnt work at all and simply shows nothing.

Sometimes opening the properties panel will "boot" the particle into being active, but not always. Also usually just bugs out after a short time (a few minutes).

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 15, 08:47:28 PM »

Even the first "clean" particle i create eventually corrupts after a few minutes and goes all weird. Just becomes a single puff of smoke.

Edit - Some emitters are stopping...some arent. Its totally random. Also the duration of each one and even IF they will bug is random.

Edit 2 - Emit frequency or something is buggy. It is set at 0.1 and this is fine at first. But after a while it just seems to send out 1 copy of the texture per second or none instead of 10. Ive checked and rechecked and the emit freq still says 0.1

You can see the particles being emitted as tiny red dots. Usually when its working fully there are about 10 red dots a second coming from the emitter. When it bugs its usually just 1 tiny little red dot.

Also sometimes just moving a particle will make it stop working OR will make it start working again. Is this a known bug?

Sometimes running away from the particle will make it stop working OR will make it start working again????

Its really starting to get on my nerves if im honest. Ive shown the settings to a couple of people and it all looks good.

On this image i have selected a fully working one and one that has bugged and is only emitting 1 sprite at a time. Ive circled the sprite dots. The bottom one shows one of the ones that has totally stopped working.

« Last Edit: Mar 30, 15, 09:38:09 PM by Prometheus2012 »

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 15, 09:11:50 AM »

Have you looked at this from the player client? It's possible it just doesn't keep working in the blade, although I admit it's a long shot.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 15, 10:20:14 AM »

Is your issue just with this one particle spec?

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 15, 12:27:36 PM »

Is your issue just with this one particle spec?

ive tried 5 so far. also tried making some in different areas as well. all particles i create end up going like this no matter what settings i choose. i cant tell where the problem is.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 15, 02:03:05 PM »

It can't be a widespread issue, otherwise a great number of worlds, including those that generate revenue, would be yelling at me. Have you verified if any other team members have the same issue on their machines?

There are settings relating to whether particles animate when off screen and at a distance that may be coming into play. It's also possible you are keeping so many particles around, or something to that effect, that issues are arising.

Do you see the same issues happening if you log into an example HeroEngine zone with fire particles or something like that?

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 15, 02:09:13 PM »

Cooper it cant be because there are too many particles in either our world or the area as this is essentially my first real foray into trying to make a finished particle. This is basically the only particle we have created so far on our world.

Yes it looks the same to other members of the team.

Which settings would those be that affect the distance etc? I dont see why those would be making it do this as the problem looks like its just generating too few sprites and also not animating at all when standing right next to it.

Ive made a video. In this video i have made a new particle in a new area with the same settings on the particle as the other broken one. You will see the original clean particle. I then duplicate the particle and you can see it is generating a few less sprites. Even the bounding box on the duplicated particle behaves differently to the original.

I then also generate a new instance of the particle using the Create>Particle menu on HE (you cant see it because fraps doesnt like to show the HE interface or mouse for some reason).

When i copied the first particle, you can see it only started to work when i dropped my character next to it. What the hell?

The HJref world works fine. Ive gone into the examplefireparticleffects area and only 1 of the fire particles show in there. The others arent showing at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYuFcFKdtzs&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 15, 02:27:30 PM by Prometheus2012 »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 15, 02:39:38 PM »

Yes, dropping your character next to it would enable the newly placed particle, otherwise it wouldn't be triggered. You wouldn't want all particles in an area rendering for you when you first entered the area, unless the particle deemed itself within view of your character.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 15, 02:45:00 PM »

Yes, dropping your character next to it would enable the newly placed particle, otherwise it wouldn't be triggered. You wouldn't want all particles in an area rendering for you when you first entered the area, unless the particle deemed itself within view of your character.

Ok so thats normal behaviour.

Is there a setting that makes it degrade over time and stop showing all together. Even if standing right next to it. Like i said, it looks like most of the time every single one of the particle i create start generating less and less sprites of the texture than normal. Eventually they just stop.

Ive not overloaded the area with particles. Infact this particle is the only one in this area. Ive duplicated it a couple of times, but even the first duplicated one doesnt work the same as the original.

Is there any chance you could log into the world and see if im doing something wrong with a setting. The area if have created this particular particle is called Downtown - Heightonview

World is called Erebus - EU West 20

Would appreciate it as its been driving me nuts for days now.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 15, 02:46:01 PM »

I see all of the fire particle effects in our example worlds, so the issue is either with your machine, or your specific world if you don't see the fire particle effects. I'll check your world in a bit.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 15, 02:47:48 PM »

I see all of the fire particle effects in our example worlds, so the issue is either with your machine, or your specific world if you don't see the fire particle effects. I'll check your world in a bit.

Yah the only one i see is the one that is flying around that has been attached to the square. Leads me to think something is wrong with our world in particular. Might be one of our pesky coders, but they havnt really touched anything to do with particles in months. Last time i checked out the fire particle zone a week or 2 ago it was working fine.
Pages: [1] 2