HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Bugs in Merge/Re-grid Tool?  (Read 1369 times)

_Omzy_

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Bugs in Merge/Re-grid Tool?
« on: Apr 09, 15, 01:48:16 PM »

Hey guys,

I've been having issues with the merge/regrid tool. If I've got a mesh thats, say 192x192 standard res made up of 36 nodes (6x6), each 32x32 verts, and merge regrid it with a node size of 192, it should create a single node from them that is size 192x192. However, it is creating one that is 187x187.

Additionally, when doing the opposite conversion, from a single 192x192 to a 6x6 of 32x32's, it doesn't split up evenly and actually makes a mesh thats like 194x194, leaving slivers of 2x32's along 2 of the sides.

Has anyone experienced or is able to reproduce this issue, and are they bugs?

Thanks

Edit:
One more possible bug: using the merge/regrid on nodes that are not at standard resolution does not result in the desired behavior. If you are trying to regrid a terrain at HALF res, it is necessary to convert to standard first and re-align and re-height all nodes in the group before using the tool, which can take loads of time if you have 3x2 areas, each of which is 6x6 blocks of 32x32 verts. Thats 216 blocks i have to line up and re-height =(

Perhaps this can be fixed by writing an algorithm that scales the entire terrain (all nodes) down or up when changing resolution rather than it scaling each node individually, or at least an added tick-box to add that possible behavior in case this was intentional design.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 15, 02:04:52 PM by _Omzy_ »
-OMZY-
Odyssey of Ydris

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
Re: Bugs in Merge/Re-grid Tool?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 15, 03:17:47 PM »

We'll investigate

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 15, 09:39:39 PM »

Short answer: yes, it is kind of weird.  Due to the impending Quartz.d update, we'll make some minor usability fixes, and we'll put the rest of this on the backlog.

Long answer ...

Part of the confusion is that the units displayed between the terrain panel UI and the heightmap properties aren't exactly the same. 

Although you can create larger heightmaps, for performance reasons we recommend heightmaps no larger than 64x64.

Overall, there's no reason to use half-resolution heightmaps. 

Is there something specific you're trying to accomplish with very large, half-res heightmaps?

Cheers

herb marselas
graphics guy

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 15, 10:58:10 AM »

I have updated the wiki to hopefully make this less confusing http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Terrain_panel#Transform

Cheers

herb marselas
graphics guy

Warded

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 15, 01:36:11 PM »

I think in the past there was a lot of talk about using half res to keep counts down, right up there with the grid world or section by section discussions. This might have been one or two years back. I think Repopulation and some other farther along games were pro half res. But I would assume with advancements in computers you probably don't need it anymore.