HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: A few questions about the GOM  (Read 1028 times)

issler

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
A few questions about the GOM
« on: May 02, 15, 04:00:27 AM »

Ok, so we have this diagram, which purports to show how the different processes in the HeroCloud are related to each other:

What I don't understand is, where does the GOM come in? I see only processes for managing the Data Object Model, and relations between them!
Which processes actually manage the Game Object Model and effect changes in it?
Please, bear with me, I'm learning, but I've seen a lot written about the DOM so far, but little or next to nothing about how all these processes actually handle the game data. I've read all the wiki pages for the processes indicated, but still haven't found a satisfactory answer, so here's a few questions:

-What does each of these processes do to the server/client GOM?
-How do these processes communicate this data? I've read something about it, so I'm gonna guess Replication?
-Where do HSL scripts act? Are they supposed to effect change only in the GOM? Do client-side scripts manipulate the cleint's GOM and server-side ones the server GOM?
-Where is the GOM located, or, what exactly is the GOM? Is it an SQL or XML database just hanging around the clusters and being manipulated? (Again sorry, but part of the reason why I'm using this engine is because I don't know much about databases)

I know to most of you HSL programmers these must sound like silly, trivial questions but if anyone could help me, please, I'm really stuck  :-[!
« Last Edit: May 02, 15, 04:03:17 AM by issler »

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
Re: A few questions about the GOM
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 15, 12:33:54 PM »

I built the diagram, so it does actually show the interrelationship of processes in on the server side :)

The GOM is a subset of data in the DOM.

(Almost) every statement about how the DOM works applies to the GOM.

The server diagram may be more confusing as it's a physical model of the server processes, not a logical model.

What does each of these processes do to the server/client GOM?
Since the GOM is a subset of the DOM, and the client and server DOMs are stored in separate datastore extents, it makes it easy for us to trace backwards - who has access to #2 (Client DOM datastore), and #3 (Server DOM datastore).

Beyond storage and coordination, the server doesn't really do much with the Client DOM. 

How do these processes communicate this data? I've read something about it, so I'm gonna guess Replication?
It depends on how you setup the DOM fields.

Where do HSL scripts act? Are they supposed to effect change only in the GOM? Do client-side scripts manipulate the cleint's GOM and server-side ones the server GOM?
HSL work more or less only DOM data - GUIs being the only major exception.

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy