HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: New DOM Suggestions (Quartz.d)  (Read 4383 times)

_Omzy_

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
New DOM Suggestions (Quartz.d)
« on: May 06, 15, 12:44:12 PM »

There have been a few threads around with DOM glitches since the latest update. Let me add a few other DOM suggestions that I've been brooding over. These are not meant as complaints, just suggestions to improve workflows:

• New DOM requires client refresh after every Copy to Client command (old DOM auto-refreshed client) -- slows workflow significantly
  • New DOM does not save panel layout as the new DOM windows are not considered panels, slows startup
  • Also these new DOM windows, not being panels, aren't dockable to each other or other panels, impairs aesthetics and flexibility
  • Resizable elements, especially field box for classes (I know this issue has already been mentioned and scheduled for the next update), impairs aesthetics and slows workflow
  • Default archetype should be set to data rather than empty, like the old DOM. Now you have to select archetype for every single class definition, every spec, every dec, dec helper, etc. Significantly slows workflow
  • Read Only checkbox should only need to be unchecked once (currently has to be unchecked on server and client, which is different from before update), slows startup
  • Loading bar now replaces text in search box which is a bit disorienting, especially after long hours when you forgot what you typed, impairs aesthetics
  • After creating/updating definitions, there is more lag than before, or at least it appears that way. I'm not sure if code has become less optimized or algorithms have been swapped out, but it is definitely noticeable--I used to not have to wait after creation to start editing, significantly slows workflow
  • Copy to Client/Server should allow a 'forced' update even if destination classes/fields already exist, rather than just supporting creating new field/class definitions. For example, if I create a spec decorator on the server and prematurely copy it while empty, then add 10 fields to the server definition and try to Copy to Client again, I get an error that this is not possible. I'm sure this is intentionally designed to prevent overwriting existing data. There should be a checkbox with a checkmark allowing forced update (default unchecked) in this scenario so I don't have to manually add every field twice. This could prompt the user for verification and could either copy the entire class/field or just add fields that are non-existant in the destination but exist in the source, which is a compromise that avoids the issue of overwriting data altogether.  significantly slows workflow

Thanks for reading!
-OMZY-
Odyssey of Ydris

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
Re: New DOM Suggestions (Quartz.d)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 15, 01:09:04 PM »

This is a great read. Thanks for posting.

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 15, 09:20:49 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 15, 12:52:27 PM »

New DOM requires client refresh after every Copy to Client command (old DOM auto-refreshed client) -- slows workflow significantly

This should be resolved in the next update

New DOM does not save panel layout as the new DOM windows are not considered panels, slows startup
Also these new DOM windows, not being panels, aren't dockable to each other or other panels, impairs aesthetics and flexibility

They will be panels in the next update.  Giant, massive panels, but panels.

Resizable elements, especially field box for classes (I know this issue has already been mentioned and scheduled for the next update), impairs aesthetics and slows workflow

This should be added in the next update

Default archetype should be set to data rather than empty, like the old DOM. Now you have to select archetype for every single class definition, every spec, every dec, dec helper, etc. Significantly slows workflow

This should be fixed in the next update

Read Only checkbox should only need to be unchecked once (currently has to be unchecked on server and client, which is different from before update), slows startup

This should be changed to propagate read-only behavior across both DOM's, regardless of which you change.

Loading bar now replaces text in search box which is a bit disorienting, especially after long hours when you forgot what you typed, impairs aesthetics

Removed in next update.

After creating/updating definitions, there is more lag than before, or at least it appears that way. I'm not sure if code has become less optimized or algorithms have been swapped out, but it is definitely noticeable--I used to not have to wait after creation to start editing, significantly slows workflow

This should be more or less resolved in the next update due to removing more legacy code. 

A whee bit of the performance changes in the DOM editor are because we removed the Windows-specific third-party C# control library we were using. 

You should see Master Control Console running on OSX.  It's freakish :)

Copy to Client/Server should allow a 'forced' update even if destination classes/fields already exist, rather than just supporting creating new field/class definitions. For example, if I create a spec decorator on the server and prematurely copy it while empty, then add 10 fields to the server definition and try to Copy to Client again, I get an error that this is not possible. I'm sure this is intentionally designed to prevent overwriting existing data. There should be a checkbox with a checkmark allowing forced update (default unchecked) in this scenario so I don't have to manually add every field twice. This could prompt the user for verification and could either copy the entire class/field or just add fields that are non-existant in the destination but exist in the source, which is a compromise that avoids the issue of overwriting data altogether.  significantly slows workflow

That's a feature request for a server message change outside the scope of an update or minor release.  I'll add it to the backlog request list.

Oh, alright, here's Master Control Console on OSX ...

herb marselas
graphics guy

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 15, 02:26:53 PM »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I would like that the list of parent classes (Classes tab) is collapsed by default. This would improve visibility.

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 15, 07:57:36 PM »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I would like that the list of parent classes (Classes tab) is collapsed by default. This would improve visibility.

I'll add it to the backlog as a request

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 15, 09:04:18 PM »

New DOM addition: a way to remove a field from the class?

In client DOM, under the fields on class, I see "copy to server", "save", and "cancel".

The "remove" above the fields is for the parent class, and the "delete" is for the class from the DOM.
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 15, 01:53:15 PM »

a way to remove a field from the class?
Just click on the line of the field and press the delete key, then Save.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 15, 07:59:43 PM »

Ok, thanks.

I wasn't sure if there was a way already in there or not.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 15, 04:24:16 PM »

Not necroing a thread but, can we get an option for leaving the dom in separate windows / still outside of the docked blade version.

windows 10 has a lovely multi-window/ desktop setup where you can split "windows" across several desktops that keep their stack order. Was a huge help to put them split apart in a separate window inside separate tabs. Allowed me to have the client and the server dom's split as individual icons in my task tray, now it's all back to one HB icon which makes things a pain. Screws with stack order, and hinders screen space overall.

I know for anything pre windows 10 it was a pain, but lets face it everyone will be over to windows 10 by end of next year. MS is going to just about make it so. With that said having the option to utilize the great feature would be nice.

Like I said though maybe a toggle setting in blade where you can set a config and it loads a different setup?
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 15, 04:45:20 PM »

Not necroing a thread but, can we get an option for leaving the dom in separate windows / still outside of the docked blade version.

windows 10 has a lovely multi-window/ desktop setup where you can split "windows" across several desktops that keep their stack order. Was a huge help to put them split apart in a separate window inside separate tabs. Allowed me to have the client and the server dom's split as individual icons in my task tray, now it's all back to one HB icon which makes things a pain. Screws with stack order, and hinders screen space overall.

I know for anything pre windows 10 it was a pain, but lets face it everyone will be over to windows 10 by end of next year. MS is going to just about make it so. With that said having the option to utilize the great feature would be nice.

Like I said though maybe a toggle setting in blade where you can set a config and it loads a different setup?

In addition to what keeper said.

If you take the dom editor panels out and put them on another monitor. While the script editor on the other one. When you click on something in the DOM editor, it brings the Blade into focus covering the script editor.

Irushian

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 15, 06:23:20 PM »

One thing that I liked about the previous update, was that the DOM editors were separate windows, and not a panel within the main Blade window. I feel like it was a step backwards changing it back to how it is now as it just gets in the way. So yes, I would absolutely love having the option to open those editors back within their own windows, I can't tell you how much I miss that already.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 15, 06:36:34 PM »

I liked it being a separate window also. It was easier for those of us with just one monitor. The options of having it either way would be useful, in that each could have the way that works best for them.
HSL Video tutorials: