HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved| A Little Confused  (Read 1456 times)

Unorthaparadox

• General Accounts
  • TIM Nutfair
    • View Profile
[Resolved| A Little Confused
« on: Aug 01, 11, 09:38:21 AM »

Okay, so we are a little confused as to how this all works out. Just can't seem to get the real difference between HeroCloud, HeroEngine, HeroBlade, and HeroJourney ;D. Well, we understand it to a degree, but our main concern is about this "automation build process". We applied through email and received a response saying we had a HeroCloud license and were in queue for the automation build through 8.3 - 8.11.

So, we're still unclear. Does that mean until the 3rd we can only work with this sandbox and then for that time period we can use the full power of the engine, or that through that date we should build in the sandbox and you're going to evaluate some worlds, still not getting exactly what's going on. Does this HeroCloud license only give us access to use the Sandbox? I'm sure I could probably keep on reading to find the answer, but I've been looking around for a while. ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 12, 10:33:01 PM by HE-Cooper »
TIM Nutfair Studios

Embrace the movement
Special thanks to Max Duncan for the great artwork.

RealityX

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Vaporware Studios
Re: A Little Confused
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 11, 10:20:07 AM »

Okay, so we are a little confused as to how this all works out. Just can't seem to get the real difference between HeroCloud, HeroEngine, HeroBlade, and HeroJourney ;D. Well, we understand it to a degree, but our main concern is about this "automation build process". We applied through email and received a response saying we had a HeroCloud license and were in queue for the automation build through 8.3 - 8.11.

So, we're still unclear. Does that mean until the 3rd we can only work with this sandbox and then for that time period we can use the full power of the engine, or that through that date we should build in the sandbox and you're going to evaluate some worlds, still not getting exactly what's going on. Does this HeroCloud license only give us access to use the Sandbox? I'm sure I could probably keep on reading to find the answer, but I've been looking around for a while. ;D

Good questions, here is what that means. You will be getting your very own HeroCloud to build your own awesome game with. You have already been accepted, and your server will be setup between the 3rd and the 11th. Once its up and running you'll get another email with all the credentials to login and start working, getting your teams accounts setup, etc. Just remember that any work you do in the sandbox will not be moved over to your own server, so the sandbox is a good place to get your team members used to working in HE, but not really a place to do any real work.

HeroCloud - Hosted server in the "cloud"
HeroEngine - The actual engine/server
HeroBlade - The game world editor and game client
HeroJourney - The game that the HE guys are building w/ the HeroEngine and HeroBlade

What you could do while you wait for your sever to be setup would be to get your Art Server setup. This will be a central place your art guys will store their assets and where you'll export your Granny assets to so that you can import them into your world via the Repo Browser.

The way I have my teams Art Server setup is using a linux VPS with Samaba to share a folder that my team accesses via a Hamachi VPN connection to the server. We all have this folder mapped to the same drive letter on each of our machine to make sure that any artist can pick up where another artist left off w/out running into missing texture issues, etc. Since we are all in different locations, this solution works out quite well.

Take a look at this wiki page for more information:
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Art_server
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 11, 10:24:41 AM by RealityX »

Unorthaparadox

• General Accounts
  • TIM Nutfair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 11, 10:48:17 AM »

Ah, okay. Thanks a million. That really cleared some things up. We'll definitely start looking into the art server and getting polished in the Sandbox while we wait. Can't wait to finally get things on the ball.
TIM Nutfair Studios

Embrace the movement
Special thanks to Max Duncan for the great artwork.

RealityX

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Vaporware Studios
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 11, 11:00:50 AM »

No prob! If you need some help w/ the art server stuff, let me know.