HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Can I use Hi-Poly models for my main characters? (20k+ polycount)  (Read 2041 times)

issler

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

I'm wondering whether I can use hi-poly characters for the main character in my game. I read on the wiki I'm supposed to use at most 6-8k tris on my model, but the page that actually references this was last edited in 2011  ??? (http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/General_Counts_and_Budgets).
Could I build a game with more detailed models and simply aim at higher end users because, you know.... 2015?
Would that be possible or would the engine just totally crash?
Thanks everyone
issler
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 15, 04:13:18 AM by issler »

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains

That info is somewhat out of date, especially with the DX11 upgrade getting closer - but still don't go overboard with the character polycounts.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

HE-Cooper

• View Profile

The engine had a hard limit at 64k tris, which I think even that's been removed. You Are welcome to use your own judgement. Personally, I'd say if you are trying to use much higher than 10k for a player character, that there most likely some cleanup you could do on elements no one will notice or see.

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

My current player character base mesh is 7k tris. That's without armor/clothing or hair. I am thinking the base mesh should be closer to 5k so I can have more detailed armor and clothing which would bring the total for character + equipment to around 10k at most.

If you are wondering how to reduce the poly count without sacrificing looks/detail, I recommend playing some games like Age of Conan, Rift, Mortal Online, Elder Scrolls Online, etc. because they all have nice looking character models with moderate poly counts. Just sit at character creation and examine how they lay out their polygons. I've learned a lot by doing that.