HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Help with several issues with world building  (Read 1333 times)

PumpkinOnline

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Help with several issues with world building
« on: Jul 13, 15, 10:50:14 AM »

So I started putting together my world. The seamless links all seem to work fine prior to carving out the land however a few issues in the video

VIDEO ---> https://vimeo.com/133348087

(0:34)

I am trying to remove the speed trees I had placed earlier. (I was able to remove them before) However now if I tap the delete key when highlighted nothing happens, when I try to delete via the asset editor, nothing happens.

(1:00)

I move the speedtrees onto the heightmap and log out)

(1:47)

I log off and log back in only to get stuck under the world. So I have to fly above the landmass.

(2:20) I run back over to where the trees are and they are stuck in the previous place they were before when I move them. When I log off and log back this happens every time. Same thing with my bench which is my own asset. It won't delete and if I move it and log off it returns to the original state.

(2:41) Ignore that I fixed it. Just needed to link up the areas as the error said :3

So yeahhh.... where do we even start.
Also I thought well maybe I screwed up the whole area might as well delete it and start over... it won't let me delete it either.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
Re: Help with several issues with world building
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 15, 11:54:29 AM »

I am trying to remove the speed trees I had placed earlier. (I was able to remove them before) However now if I tap the delete key when highlighted nothing happens, when I try to delete via the asset editor, nothing happens.
Are you in character mode or select mode?  You usually need to be in Select or Select and translate mode to delete.
Sometimes you may need to tap delete a time or two.
Also make sure their selection outline is yellow (in the same room/area as you are)

I log off and log back in only to get stuck under the world. So I have to fly above the landmass.

Open the Paths panel, look for Arrival.  if theres not one, create it.  Select select the single waypoint it has, and move it to where you would like to appear when logging into that area.

Also I thought well maybe I screwed up the whole area might as well delete it and start over... it won't let me delete it either.

usually, simple deleting all assets is enough, reuse the area by renaming it or just removing assets/start over.

To delete an area (if you really need to) in the console type -AREADEL "areaname"

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
Re: Help with several issues with world building
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 15, 12:48:05 AM »

What I didn't catch the first time i viewed your video was this:

Do not run in character mode from one area to another while in Edit instance.
Instead use the "Switch To " option under SeamLess Links in the Area panel. 
Dropping your char into another area while in Edit instance causes the same issues.

This can lead to issues like you're having where the client/server winds up confused as to what area you're in and which one you're trying to edit.  Communication between the two seems to get lost if you run back and forth too many times between Edit instance of areas.  Logging out doesn't fix it, only restarting the blade seems to correct it.  I can't locate the post right off, but there is a caution against moving the character across the borders of seamless EDIT instances.

Terrain editing works fine across seamless boundaries, but if you need to do something that requires you to be in that area, just use the switch to option in the areas panel.(it's quick and painless)

Hope that helps