HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Hololens  (Read 1828 times)

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Hololens
« on: Jul 15, 15, 01:06:33 PM »

I feel I already know the answer to this, but can you anticipate any HeroEngine support being made for Hololens?
https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Hololens
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 15, 01:24:34 PM »

It's not currently on our roadmap. :-)

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 15, 03:42:58 PM »

It's way too much of a gimmick top have any widespread appeal or usefulness for an MMO.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 15, 03:56:38 PM »

Bear in mind the engine can make more than MMOs.
Scott Zarnke

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 15, 06:57:30 PM »

Its only the 1st step to something that will be more useful, in the years to come.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 15, 11:36:42 PM »

I could / would love to see VOZ in hololens format. So I totally get you there. I could also see it being a better fit for some MMO's than VR would be.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 15, 12:53:11 AM »

I could / would love to see VOZ in hololens format. So I totally get you there. I could also see it being a better fit for some MMO's than VR would be.

That's what some of our team was thinking.  And it is not so far off: a certain other engine that starts with U has announced they will be supporting it, so I thought I'd ask.
Scott Zarnke

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 15, 10:35:41 AM »

I would take a bit of time to master the HE renderer and its capability before even thinking about addons etc.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 15, 05:59:31 PM »

I would take a bit of time to master the HE renderer and its capability before even thinking about addons etc.

well more of would it be something the devs would even consider, cause sitting at a desk with a hololens on playing Voz, with the game world laid out in full on the table would be totally wicked. http://research.microsoft.com/apps/video/default.aspx?id=191304

I mean having that while you were playing, as a way to play desktop game boards but in a MMO setting. Think about a dungeons and dragons game where there is a real world to be played in, beyond a random map drawn or managed by the DM.

Also in regards to just MMO gaming, MS has the IllumiRoom project, but rumor has it they merging the technology into hololens. And using that as the means to manage the projection instead of a seperate projector environment system. Which really in some cases works much better than a full VR head set. Cause for a MMO with a traditional need for a mouse / keyboard, or controller the player will be pretty stationary. CAuse I know I'm not standing for 4 hour raids. So to me VR just ends up being a wide screen monitor in most cases. Of games. However hololens could greatly amp up what visual feedback i'm able to get from my screen. Think about having your ventrillo / team speak overlay in the hololens, off to the side of your monitor's focus / perphieral. Parties life not on the monitor but floating above the monitor, while your main view port is in the monitor. Lots of valid options, some of which a bunch of game developers are looking at more so than what they getting with VR options. Which is as I said in most cases, just a big side screen monitor with motion tracking that tends to make you sick after a bit.

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/video/default.aspx?id=191304

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 15, 06:32:56 PM »

A little off topic, but that is a fair point about VR.  At the last few conventions we were at, we shared a room with a team showing off a game demo on an occulus rift*.  Even though they had people sit in a swivel chair, people are so used to only facing forward that they rarely remembered to turn the chair and look around.  In fact, they had to make it so the game controller could turn the player rather than requiring them to physically turn around.  I've even heard of ideas of having the player stand on a free-moving treadmill so they can walk or run to move forward; but not too many players actually want to do that much work, certainly not for very long.

*One the demos running on the rift which had been made by another company was a 3D version of the original Zelda (the first level, anyways).  Needless to say, it was very popular.
Scott Zarnke

jcsmith562

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 15, 02:00:03 AM »

I can't see much MMO use for the hololens, but I definitely see it with the Rift and other VR hardware. It's a different level of immersion that you just can't get otherwise. I do think you have to design games a bit differently though when designing for VR, similar to what FI mentioned in his last post. Things like the interface need to be done differently. Taking advantage of head tracking, not taking over cameras, etc are very important.

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 15, 12:42:38 PM »

The big problem with VR in general is that it's only trying to trick 2 of your senses, while ignoring the others, which just makes it feel weird rather than immersive.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios