HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Documentation question  (Read 2537 times)

Bear

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Documentation question
« on: Aug 03, 11, 11:52:45 PM »

Before I bother posting a lengthy request for a documentation reorganization, to what extent is HE/IF aware that the wiki needs work?

e.g. the http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Introduction_to_HeroCloud_for_Social_and_Web_Game_Developers page is suspiciously similar to a copy of the "for MMOs" page, and doesn't include any information or wiki links to stuff about the social game APIs etc (presumably because this isn't public yet). 

Anyways, this and many other pieces of front-and-center documentation on the wiki are outdated or misleading/confusing at the moment and I'm just getting a vibe for 1. whether you have a project already in the works to do something about this and 2. how receptive you are to customers grabbing this bull by those horns w/r/t just going into the wiki and trying to put right what has gone wrong?
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 12, 08:52:20 PM by HE-Cooper »

smassa

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Evolve
Re: Documentation question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 11, 05:15:17 AM »

I might be talking out of my a**, since I havent even gotten access to the engine so far...  But from what I think I understand, the engine supports real time streaming of any game assets to the client.  So basically you have the tools to build your social game any way you want, its just a matter of making sure it is lightweight enough for your target audience to handle.  There could be a bit more info on web browser plugin deployment though.  All I could find was this:

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/HeroEngine_Web_Browser_Plugin

Bear

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 11, 06:20:59 AM »

My post/question isn't really about the social game development documentation in specific, it's about the wider documentation effort as a whole (and that one bit of doc was used as an example.)

Thanks for the link though. :)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 11, 07:45:21 AM »

Hi Bear,

I think hands down we've got the best documented engine out there. Certainly there will occasionally be an outdated section. Our engineers spend a great deal of time documenting everything. The example you use is because the Facebook API isn't currently available so instead they duplicated the best practices for all types of games and then outlined the specific ways to think about social game paradigms.

If you run into other sections that you feel are outdated please post about them or feel more than free to edit them yourself. We have a number of users both updating at adding completely new sections. I tend to see that if folks can't find a section they are looking for, more often than not it's a terminology mismatch where we are using a different term than they expected, so that's certainly one thing we are paying attention to.

But I'd need specifics of where you were confused by or feel that a section was missing in order to help.

Bear

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 11, 04:13:10 PM »

Hi Bear,

I think hands down we've got the best documented engine out there.

Having licensed a number of engines and read through the public documentation for a number of others, I am inclined to agree.  At the very least, the public face of your support staff is incredibly responsive to questions.

Quote from: HE-Cooper
If you run into other sections that you feel are outdated please post about them or feel more than free to edit them yourself.

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Character_Data_Tutorial  Here's what made me decide to check and see if you already have an effort behind the scenes to update stuff like this; I like the documentation on Replication but I really wanted to see your implementation ideas in this tutorial.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 11, 05:17:16 PM »

Good point Bear, I think I misread the tone of your original post, which sounds a bit harsh and like it's accusing our wiki of being out of date and misleading all over the place. I'd still be interested to know where those places were.

The example you point out is certainly one of the "It's good enough" sections of the wiki, where we haven't explicitly written out line by line how to do something, but have all the documentation and framework to allow anyone to do it themselves, especially when there could be multiple ways of doing something. So, its a fair point on your part, but not sure it deserves the harshness of your first post. :-)

There are definitely the occasional out-dated section of the wiki we come across, most often when a dev points it out, and we make sure to fix those immediately. But sometimes the "It would be great if we had a really specific tutorial for making a thing do X" have to fall the wayside, because it's the same engineers writing those tutorials that are writing the code to make new stuff in the engine.

But I promise anything you point out as needing polish goes onto our todo list, and devs that have the wherewithal to make sweeping helpful changes and additions to the wiki will forever have my gratitude. :-)

Bear

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 11, 12:39:33 AM »

One feedback about the wiki in general unrelated to anything I've mentioned above is that whoever is making the diagrams, I love you.   PLEASE TO BE MAKING MORE.  :D