HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Facegen Assistance. Still Need Help :( !!!  (Read 7145 times)

PumpkinOnline

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Facegen Assistance. Still Need Help :( !!!
« on: Jul 23, 15, 09:59:15 PM »

We still need help None of the suggestions have worked. Keep in mind every other part of the body morphs exactly as we want it to and we checked over the hands and fingers and we don't think we did anything different as oppose to all the other parts. Thanks

----

Sorry we're back again. :3 So this time, we've got most of it working pretty decently except we're baffled as to why the thumb on the hand deforms when we scale up the body the way it does and we would like some hints as to what we can do to the

Please watch the video of our issue (1:22 shows it the clearest)
See video here ---> https://vimeo.com/134371695

So essentially the fingers are fine when the character is average size to skinny. However when using the skeletal morph and adding some size to the character the thumb morphs in a weird way. When the character is idling it's not that noticeable, however, when our character runs and clenches their hands the hands looks really bizarre. 
If you have any suggestions let us know thanks again in advance for the assistance.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 15, 09:51:02 AM by PumpkinOnline »

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
Re: Facegen Assistance yet again. Hands acting funny with morph
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 15, 10:11:46 PM »

Just a guess.
Is the thumb set to receive changes when the body transforms?
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Re: Facegen Assistance yet again. Hands acting funny with morph
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 15, 07:48:24 PM »

it's doing what it's suppost to to if I was looking at it. Or it's doing what is expected in my mind. Problem is your min and max for the hand isn't adjusting the hand lengthen / skin weights while adjusting the thickness of the hand. So what is happening is when the skin weights try and pull down against the bones in the hand, there is a lot more flesh in it's way.

If the hand try to close down tighter or more importantly the thumb it would be collapsing on itself and your models don't have the skin weight / style to handle creases.

For an example when your model goes from skinny to fat your shoulders grow in width by a good 3-4 units on each side your character physically becomes wider. when their hand gets fat it stays the same dimensions just picks up bulk on the girth of the fingers. so naturally the bulk / gap in the thumb to hand grows as well. It's a pure slide mechanic you are seeing. In regards to in skinny mode you have character hand with a 2 inch grip hole. then all you doing is saying stretch everything in hand out linearly, so what happens the grip hold linearly stretches as well.

So either have to make some adjustments or learn to be ok with it. Overall I think you are just mis-representing how "fat" a hand grows in proportion to how big someone actually gets.
aka your hands are too bulky in the wrong areas. Most of the bulk is on the backside of the hand not in the fingers.

http://born2lbfat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/hand-e1385653784586.png

for example. the hand fingers barely grow at all but the back of the hand expands greatly. So just a bad model setup less so than issue with facegen. It's working exactly how it should be. Just need to re think how the human body works.

Anatomy is key when using modeling tools cause developers of them paid close attention and programed their tools to assume real life growth patterns when you break those laws of anatomy then you see odd things like this.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

PumpkinOnline

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Re: Facegen Assistance. Still Need Help :( !!!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 15, 09:51:28 AM »

bump

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 15, 07:27:16 PM »

How is the morphing done to begin with? I mean, is this done by scaling the bones or by using actual mesh morphs?
If you are scaling bones, then I would think that scaling the hand, for example, would make the hand wider, which would push the base of the thumb further away from the hand, causing an increasing gap between thumb and first finger.

To fix this, I would try scaling the hand without affecting the axis that the width of the hand uses.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 15, 10:57:46 AM »

I'm going to jump into your world and take a look, to see what I can see. Sometimes these things are hard to grasp until you fiddle with it first hand.

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 15, 11:56:58 AM »

Thanks Bennett.
You'll have to create a dynamic npc through the character specification editor (f5), and possess it.
Haven't swapped out the static one yet.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 15, 02:04:50 PM »

Very interesting. If you look at the skeleton in the hands while activating the "heavy" morph, you can see that the bones for the hand don't move at all. However the mesh does.  What this says to me is you may have a mismatch between the "heavy" morph target and the "heavy" morph skeleton.  First step is to double check that the "heavy" geometry and the "heavy" skeleton match up properly in the hands, with all the joints in the hand aligned properly.

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 15, 11:01:46 PM »

Here is what the hands for the heavy morph look like in maya

Here is what they look like in HeroEngine
Left image is the default morph, right is the Heavy morph

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 15, 01:11:48 PM »

Hmmmmm, interesting.  I may need to fiddle a bit more in depth here.  Can you send the scene file containing the various assets to support@heroengine.com?  I'll need all the skeleton and mesh morphs in addition to the normal meshes.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 15, 02:55:29 PM »

Wow that is fascinating.  As I understand, it was suggested you try re-skinning (and I'm recording that here for posterity ;) ), let me know if that helps. Otherwise I'm baffled.