HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: NON-UPDATE RElated: "Bring Instances Here" Destroys Dynamic instances  (Read 6095 times)

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile

UPDATE:
This has been tested, and the cause found.  Working on a temp solution.
Changed the subject to reflect that it affects Dynamic objects only.

Hey guys,

I've had this issue several times now over the last 3 years and am curious if anyone else has had similar issues.

The problem lies in one of several things:
1) Instance is in a room that doesn't yet exist in the receiving area
2) Instance has an additional class glom'd on
3) Too many instances selected and the function times out

I don't know which , but each time this has happened its likely that 1 and 2 were involved.
Usually, there will be a few instances that make the transition, but the rest (and ALWAYS the heightmaps) are gone.

I can't prove it, but my best guess is it has to do with a single instance failing the move and somehow causing the rest to get hung in limbo.  "Undo" doesn't work to rectify it either.

This isn't usually a problem as its not often we need to use "bring instances here", but from time to time its faster to build one large area and split it up, and then we run the risk of this happening.

I can't recall having ever had it happen when having only 1 instance selected.
From memory, it has happened when an entire section of the area has been selected, including heightmaps/models

Restoring the areas Dat files in the repo will restore them temporarily, but the server doesn't know they exist so the Dat files promptly get overwritten again.

If you need me to do some further testing on it I will, but atm I've got a good deal of rebuilding to do  ::)

Thanks
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 15, 12:13:10 PM by ToY-Krun »

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

I will do some testing and post what I find
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 15, 06:34:21 PM by Jrome90 »

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile

yes, they completely disappear from the area, the assets list, everything.

The move function removes them from their parent area before moving them over to the new area, so theres no backing up if something fails in the process. (at least not that im aware of)  Anything left thats not been added to the new area yet is gone entirely.
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 15, 06:35:18 PM by ToY-Krun »

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

How many assets are you moving?

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile

well, I tried to cover all that in the initial post, but , quite a few, more than 5, less than 20.....
I've no definite answer as they don't exist anymore.

Its not like it can be undone so this was just a heads up, don't try to move too many things at once, even if its just heighmaps, as we did once lose an areas worth of heighmaps while they were being moved to an adjacent area.
Again, it was a handfull at a time, maybe 5 to 7 maps.

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

well, I tried to cover all that in the initial post, but , quite a few, more than 5, less than 20.....
I've no definite answer as they don't exist anymore.

Its not like it can be undone so this was just a heads up, don't try to move too many things at once, even if its just heighmaps, as we did once lose an areas worth of heighmaps while they were being moved to an adjacent area.
Again, it was a handfull at a time, maybe 5 to 7 maps.

The reason I ask is because I was able to move ~279 assets(speed trees) and 9 heightmaps with no problems.
Seems #3 may not be the case

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile

I'm sure something else factors in, when you're working on areas like that, you've usually been in and out of a number of panels, (terrain, assets etc) as well as Switching between several areas over a period of time.

I have cautioned our folks to reset their blades regularly when they've been switching back and forth between areas just in case any issues arise, but sometimes its easy to forget to do so.

Thats why its nigh impossible to provide a "repro", it happens when it happens.

Todays situation was 5 linked areas, with the two between two, and one branching off of one of the middle ones.  it was decided to combine the two in the middle as well as the one that branched off,  so there was a good deal of switching between areas to move assets into the one which would remain.  The problem occurred while moving the assets of the last one into the main one.

It might also be a good idea to reSpin the Edit instance between moving the assets of multiple areas into another.

I feel like #1 causes it at least sometimes, but its not consistent so I can't say for sure.
There were several additional rooms in this area, however there were in the others as well, but it seems like rooms have been involved in the previous events as well.
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 15, 07:32:47 PM by ToY-Krun »

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

I'm sure something else factors in, when you're working on areas like that, you've usually been in and out of a number of panels, (terrain, assets etc) as well as Switching between several areas over a period of time.

I have cautioned our folks to reset their blades regularly when they've been switching back and forth between areas just in case any issues arise, but sometimes its easy to forget to do so.

Thats why its nigh impossible to provide a "repro", it happens when it happens.

Todays situation was 5 linked areas, with the two between two, and one branching off of one of the middle ones.  it was decided to combine the two in the middle as well as the one that branched off,  so there was a good deal of switching between areas to move assets into the one which would remain.  The problem occurred while moving the assets of the last one into the main one.

It might also be a good idea to reSpin the Edit instance between moving the assets of multiple areas into another.

I feel like #1 causes it at least sometimes, but its not consistent so I can't say for sure.
There were several additional rooms in this area, however there were in the others as well, but it seems like rooms have been involved in the previous events as well.

Indeed there could be a number of factors.
But it can be nice to see if they happen because of #1, #2, or #3 or a combination

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile

i took a minute and created a couple test areas, connected them and began moving some objects back and forth, while switching between the areas (not running but using the Switch To function).

Then I created a couple of our dynamic objects, created some new rooms, and put them in them, moved them..
the new rooms were created correctly on the receiving area and the items were moved.

still no repro. 

I'll do some more testing tomorrow if I get time.

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

Did some further tests.
I was able to get the results you described.
Although I was only able to test with the default stateful door.

Every time that a stateful door was present the issue occurred.

Results
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 15, 12:13:22 AM by Jrome90 »

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile

Interesting.

Perhaps its linked to replication.

The dynamic objects I mentioned are similar to stateful objects. 

I'll try a few more tests using those and see what happens.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile

You're right, I tried moving just 1 dynamic instance of ours from one area to another, and it disappeared with the same error:

Code: [Select]
[hsl_error] 9223372155650191503,0: [B Test] SCRIPT ERROR: GOM::getVariableReferenceFromNode (10843): field (10233000002) not found in node (9223372190110021725).
ID: 9223372190110021725 was not found
Time:08/19/2015 05:36:26 UTC
Call trace:
  Script _EditHandlerClassMethods line 3671 me[9223372190844021669]
  Script _EditModifyInstanceAreaHandlerClassMethods line 281 me[id=9223372190843021719 class=_EditModifyInstanceAreaHandler]
  Script _EditHandlerClassMethods line 3518 me[9223372190844021669]
starting method/function _ROOTNODELOADEDNOTIFICATION
starting me[id=9223372190844021669 class=_EditHandler,E_EditHandler]

These particular models are set up to use replication.  Models that were standard HGM instances moved just fine.

Thats understandable then since moving such an object would cause problems with the SAS among other things.

That being the case, folks could add in some checks in the Edit override to prevent moving objects that aren't standard instances, just in case.

good catch on finding that.

JGrant

static item no problem for bring instances here single or double item moves.

Dynamic items it is moving physically to the other area. So they are disapearing from the first area and physically relocating
to the new area.  If the terrain different it will be hidden by the terrain. Now I am getting the same error as stated in
the ticket and forum post. But I can find the the asset in the assets tab and bring it into view.

Server Script Error
Area: 9223372222574801548 Instance: 0
 [Squirrel Test] SCRIPT ERROR: GOM::getVariableReferenceFromNode (10843): field (94341294810) not found in node (9223372222737802513).

ID: 9223372222737802513 was not found
Time:08/19/2015 13:58:46 UTC
Call trace:
  Script _EditHandlerClassMethods line 3669 me[9223372222739801512]
  Script _EditModifyInstanceAreaHandlerClassMethods line 278 me[id=9223372222737802761 class=_EditModifyInstanceAreaHandler]
  Script _EditHandlerClassMethods line 3516 me[9223372222739801512]
starting method/function _ROOTNODELOADEDNOTIFICATION
starting me[id=9223372222739801512 class=_EditHandler,E_EditHandler]

Could you try the test one more time and look in your assets list and see if the objects being moved have gone underground.
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 15, 09:27:31 AM by JGrant »

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile

what "dynamic" objects are you using to test with?   Are these using a custom class which is set to replicate both to server and client?

Yes, this issue destroys objects altogether, they are not hidden.

As I stated in the initial post, the object disappears from the assets panel, the Dom/Gom and is completely gone  :P

IF you want to repro it for the sake of doing so, then add a number of custom objects that are set to replicate (not like the ones created from the DRO tutorial which use remoteCalls rather than "replication" unless you've altered them to be replicated), then, move not only them, but the heightmaps and anything else in an area, to another area, across a seamless 2.0 boundary.

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile

The tests that Jon (JGrant) did was using custom assets with custom scripts using the states (Stateful object). I watched as it was reproduced. All scripts were custom scripts that is on the server he was testing on.
As he said, he was able to reproduce this, we just found that some objects will move actual position to the other area when done.

He as just asking for a bit more specific information with your testing to make sure that they are not just hidden somewhere.

I will contact you directly. Lets see what we can do and get the exact reproduction steps and events happening.
Pages: [1] 2