HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: World Generation  (Read 1720 times)

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
World Generation
« on: Aug 25, 15, 03:22:59 PM »

Right now there is no real clear way to generate a world other than importing the heightmaps (with no textures).

Is there any discussion to change this?

What is the fastest, easiest way to implement a world generator?

This is a massive hurdle for me atm, obviously this would take use of the seamless link 2.0.

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: World Generation
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 15, 04:47:18 PM »

Hello,
I am not 100% sure what you mean, so if I cover something that you know or not what you meant, please let me know. Feel free to explain as much as you like. :) I believe the more detail the easier it is to know what the problem is or what all of you want.

For heightmap generation, there are a few ways. You can import as you mentioned from almost any programme. I myself, honestly prefer L3DT. There are several here that have used a verity of programmes and each have their favorites.

You can also create heightmaps using the Create new tool in the engine. You can specify the size and a few other nice things, then sculpt it as you see fit.

http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Terrain Is a nice place to start.

On that page you can see the Terrain panel and the tools associated with it.
To create a custom size map, click on the Create Grid instead of the Create Heightmap, you can then select the size, resolution and number of nodes you want. See the attached image.

From there you can set up your default materials as well as sculpt the terrain however you would like it to be.

Feel free to ask any other specific questions you might have. I hope this can help you get started- I hope this was an answer to your question.

- Sarrene'

« Last Edit: Aug 25, 15, 04:51:38 PM by HE-SARRENE »

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 15, 05:20:37 PM »

I am talking about having an HE supported import system for a terrain generator like world-machine. Where when you import the generated world it does more than just import the heightmap into 1 area without any textures.
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 15, 05:43:52 PM by nocake »

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 15, 06:02:02 PM »

Ah, okay, I understand. This is not something that is supported, however I can show you a few tricks later if you have time. You can import one at a time. But nothing where it will automatically import and link up the areas themselves.

One trick I have used is creating default area template then importing that into your new area(s). But either way, you will need to manually link up the areas.

World machine, you would export one "tile" at a time, then import them into each of your areas. However you will still need to manually link them up.

I know this is not the answer you were looking for, perhaps someone else has some other ideas. However, I am available most evenings to help out and show some tricks and tips. (I do plan on creating more tutorials again in the somewhat near future.)

- Sarrene'

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 15, 10:11:02 PM »

Anything to add or correct on this because right now this is the atrocious way i am doing it :x
 https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Mq8t9lDWGXSMC21Fu5_ScC7BeeZXsY8acBFCVPOreA/edit

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 15, 11:04:22 PM »

Oh cool! I will take a look at that tomorrow. I am just getting ready to sign off, it has been a long night of work :) But a good day/night of work.

That will help a lot! We may go in a bit deeper of a discussion once I read it, so be warned! I will let you know. Nice work on the doc, I cannot wait to read it. However, if I do tonight, then my husband may kill me. Since I was working early this morning and all afternoon and evening. ;)

Have a good evening and talk to you tomorrow.

- Sarrene'

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 15, 09:32:22 AM »

Good afternoon,
Sending you a PM :)