HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Error: Skin modifier not selected  (Read 7343 times)

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Error: Skin modifier not selected
« Reply #15 on: Sep 08, 15, 04:09:48 PM »

You've provided some very helpful information, So hopefully I'll be able to track down the issue soon :)

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 08, 15, 08:20:52 PM »

Good that Bennett is on the job, cause I was unable to repro the same error.

I haven't had a chance to look at the file since I'm using 2012... But! The issue has forced me to upgrade.. which I needed to have done already  ;D

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 15, 05:46:53 PM »

I did take a quick look at the model, at first glance I saw that that on the skin you'll need to change the maximum number of bones affected from 20 to 4 (under advanced parameters).   Usually it will error out telling you about that but the other error might have prevented it from getting that far, not sure.

anyway, thats all I noticed so far.  I'm not that familiar with CAT rigs so if its a problem with the rig I'm not much help

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 15, 06:29:41 PM »

Thanks for looking ToY-Krun. I have changed the number of bones affected from 20 to 4 in several attempts, I just didn't save it in the file I posted. :)

The CAT rigs are similar to Biped for the most part, just easier to animate with the tools it has with it. Did you try to export it using the Character Tools to see if it will do that for you?

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 15, 07:04:20 PM »

Yes, removing the "morph" modifier allowed it to export okay.
Perhaps try exporting without the morph initially, then export the morphed mesh as a dynamic body part afterward.

I changed the bone limit to 4
I changed setup animation mode toggle(in the motion tab)
I deleted the "morph" modifier (though I would assume it being turned off should work as well, but didn't)
I deleted/recreated the SRB (it wound up backwards after all the above for some reason)
Using the HE animation tools tool, I limited the frames from 0 to 20 (just because I forgot to set it back to your amount)
and named the animation "idle" (frames 0 to 20)

umm.. I think thats it, then exported using character tools as a dynamic character.
Everything exported okay, although I'm sure it doesn't look like yours (I applied a single texture to the mesh for testing).

Hope some of that helped, although I don't know precisely what caused it, my hunch is the "morph" modifier since I tried several of the other steps prior to removing it.

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 15, 08:05:15 PM »

Well, I tried everything you did. :)

I spent 2 days trying to get it to work. I even tried making new Biped rigs and a quick cylinder skin and all that to rule out it being my character. Up to this point, nothing I do will help my HeroProcess, using Max 2014 and 2016, every version of the HE tools, etc.

I can export manually and it works, but that doesn't help fix the original problem of why my HeroProcess and sometimes the Exporter are crashing. I think it may be a bug with the specific versions, or it could be something in my computer's security settings.

Sarrene watched my screen through Skype and followed my every move through 2 tests, and she is convinced it wasn't my fault either. That's why she sent Bennett after the bugger. :)

The fact that you can export it with the Character Tools shows that it isn't my rig and mesh to blame, and that's very valuable information!

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 15, 08:10:38 PM »

just a note, there is always "1" HeroProcess has stopped working error, during the export using character tools, has been since 2013, but, I'm positive its related to my system and has never caused any issue with the output model or files.  If there is "2" of them, then I know something is wrong with the model setup (usually an animation issue).

It was that way with 2012, and still does the same thing with 2015 (just updated).

Yeah I'm sure Bennett will find the source.

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 15, 08:16:29 PM »

Oh no, when I exported with Character Tools and got the error, it never exported the mesh. It created most of the other files, the prt, dyc, the animation and parts folders, but no meshes. Sometimes I get 1 error/stopped working, sometimes it's 2. It's ok since the manual export works. If it didn't I'd be pretty upset by now, LOL :)

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 15, 09:17:00 PM »

when I exported with Character Tools and got the error, it never exported the mesh

Yeah I understand, that last post was purely what happens on my end from time to time regarding the HeroProcess has stopped working.  The errors you came up against go beyond that looked to me like.
Pages: 1 [2]