HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Clamp facegen controls  (Read 3369 times)

LAvila

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Clamp facegen controls
« on: Sep 20, 15, 10:35:04 AM »

Cant find anything other than a sentence saying if you dont like what facegen calculates for your negative controls you can clamp them to 0,10 but no details on where this is done.

Is it done in the initial processing, done in the facegen.dat files, or is it setup somewhere else?
Artist - FoxySoft
Portfolio

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
Re: Clamp facegen controls
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 15, 12:36:19 PM »

Link to what you are referring to please.

A controller sounds most likely like an fknob. (complete guess without more information)

LAvila

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 15, 01:45:38 PM »

http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Technical:FaceGen_Pipeline#Terms
The part in the yellow box is what I loosely quoted.

So i have my base model, muscular, fat and skinny morphs all setup and working except I dont want the generated negative values or any values outside of 1.
Artist - FoxySoft
Portfolio

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 15, 02:36:15 PM »

and you have read over this post? https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,5514.0.html

I dont dabble in art assets but I think you want to define it in your facegen.dat

LAvila

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 15, 08:23:33 AM »

Yea read that over, its been my go to for initial setup. Thanks for trying to help btw.

Found this:
http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Facegen_Dat_File_Reference
Code: [Select]
!
! FaceGen Specification
!
[SETTINGS]
  Version=1

[CONTROLS]
{Head}
  File=Character\Dynamic_2\Human\Shared_Geometry\Head\FaceGen\HumanHead.ctl
  DefaultCoord=Character\Dynamic_2\Human\Shared_Geometry\Head\FaceGen\defaultHumanHead.fg

{Body}
  File=Character\Dynamic_2\Shared_Geometry\Female\FaceGen\Body\FemaleHumanoidBody.ctl
  DefaultCoord=Character\Dynamic_2\Shared_Geometry\Female\FaceGen\Body\defaultFemaleHumanoidBody.fg
  Overall Size=path:body;type:shape;min:-1;max:5;labels:smaller,larger;
  Dwarf=skeleton:dwarf
  Elf=skeleton:elf

[SAMS]
!
! head
!
  head.head
     EGM(head)=character\dynamic_2\human\female\facegen\head\head_female.egm
     EGM(body)=character\dynamic_2\human\female\facegen\body\head.egm
     TRI=character\dynamic_2\human\female\facegen\head\head_female.tri
     GR2=character\dynamic_2\human\female\head.gr2
     RecalculateNormals=true

So I tried this:
Code: [Select]
{Body}
  File=character\dynamic_2\Roman\Male\FaceGen\Body\Roman_M_Body.ctl
  DefaultCoord=character\dynamic_2\Roman\Male\FaceGen\Body\Roman_M_BodyTemplate.fg
  Muscular=type:shape;path:body;min:0;max:1;
  Fat=type:shape;path:body;min:0;max:1; 
  Skinny=type:shape;path:body;min:0;max:1;   

But the morphs still go outside the min and max values.
Artist - FoxySoft
Portfolio

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 15, 01:40:13 PM »

only other thing i can contribute at this point is maybe the Min Max are like the weights you put onto the morph. While you can go over in setting the value its max value should equal the correct max length.

For simplicity sake I will keep the ratio the same.

So you have a morph that can go from 1-10 inches, you set your min max at 1/10. So every 1 unit of morph you are morphing it 1 inch. Now you can set the value to 15 or something and it will morph it 15 inches but this will not look correct on your model.

Now lets take the morph and make it 1-4 inches but still give it a min/max 1-10. Now every 1 unit of morph you apply changes the morph .4 inches.

I hope that is clear enough and honestly I have no clue if it is right but it might give you some insight.

« Last Edit: Sep 21, 15, 01:50:40 PM by nocake »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 15, 03:16:25 PM »

Well that's odd.  I'm looking at facegen stuff today already, so I'll see what I see :)

LAvila

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 15, 07:34:54 PM »

nocake: Yea, that's kinda along the lines of the workaround I'm thinking of doing. So in my modeling program i would only let the morph go 10%, export that and then let the full morph hopefully be generated. Id still get the negative value but it wont be as extreme as I'm getting now.

HE-BENNETT: Thanks, I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but any help would be appreciated. I have a work around in mind, mentioned above, but if rather set them properly.
Artist - FoxySoft
Portfolio

LAvila

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 15, 08:29:18 PM »

HE-BENNETT: Did you come across anything?

Tried changing the min and max for the head, because those are all set in the facegen tutorial sticky, and still no change in engine.
Artist - FoxySoft
Portfolio

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 15, 10:59:30 AM »

Still working on things, I'm juggling a few different things at the moment :P  I'll let you know as soon as I find anything. I'd recommend working on something else for now, as this isn't likely something that is going to require you to change a lot of your content or process.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 15, 12:16:34 PM »

Oh.  Right.  Ha.  I haven't looked at that bit of code for a long time.

The provided character manager tool is intentionally simple, so it can serve as an easy to understand demo tool as well as providing basic functionality to test things like character parts and facegen morphs.  Basically, it pays no attention to the extra information in the facegen.dat file.

The limit info you attempted to add is fine as is, there's just nothing using it. So, for now, I wouldn't worry too much about things looking extreme in the character manager.  When you build your character creation GUI, you can take all the added limits/etc into account to prevent ugly or extreme morphing.

To see how to make your character creation GUI load the information you need from the facegen.dat file, look at the HJREF character creation GUI.  Specifically, look at HJCCSFeaturesPanelClassMethods, lines 65 through 92.  That is the code that parses the keywords.  Then just follow the function calls, AddFacegenSlider() is called there with the keywords passed in. That function is on line 119 of the same file.

LAvila

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 15, 03:48:29 PM »

Awesome. I had a feeling it was something like that, thanks for confirming.  :D
Artist - FoxySoft
Portfolio