HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Assets/Objects  (Read 1497 times)

DPontious

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Assets/Objects
« on: Oct 25, 15, 07:11:21 PM »

when I place an assets into heros such as a house or something that you go into, the walls disappear, and you can run threw them.  what am I doing wrong.  ps. the assets are made using 3d max

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: Assets/Objects
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 15, 07:50:07 PM »

Typically, meshes are made to be convex and only viewed from the outside and so the polys are usually only visible from one side; hence being invisible if you move inside of it.  That is also why the collision does not happen from the inside out.

Making a house that can be entered usually requires making multiple meshes that serve as the walls, floor, ceiling, etc.

Although this page is focused on occlusion meshes, the latter part shows a little bit about making an enterable building out of multiple meshes:
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Occlusion_assets#Mesh_Construction
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 15, 07:52:12 PM by FI-ScottZ »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

DPontious

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 15, 02:09:13 AM »

Great Read, I guess the question is how dose it no what side of the mesh to use or see, or wood it be easer to make say for example Wall 1 Wall 2 and so on and join together in HE?
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 15, 02:20:37 AM by DPontious »

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 15, 09:01:11 AM »

Are you making your objects using boxes or planes? A plane is one-sided, while a box has depth. In your image it looks like the walls may have a small bit of depth to them but I can't tell for sure.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 15, 09:03:37 AM »

Building each piece would make it a modular system, which is great for being able to make many different buildings with just a few pieces. The main drawback of modular is that it generates many more drawcalls for objects versus having them all as one object.

I think that maybe your scale might be off, either it is too large or too small. Objects must be no bigger than 100x100 meters in size, otherwise they will have no physics and you can run through them.

Before you export this model, try to reset its xform in max/maya

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-B98414B9-4F28-45F4-A1F4-9DA994548ED9-htm.html

This will ensure the model is not say 500 meters big, even if it looks the correct scale.

DPontious

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 15, 12:33:48 PM »

yea all the side walls are made of plans, with extrude mod. so they have a little depth to them and the scale for this project is in US Standards with the system unit setup at feet.   the size of this is 20 x 20
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 15, 01:00:04 PM by DPontious »

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 15, 02:01:14 PM »

We have set up our scale to follow the hero engine scaling of 1 unit = 10 meter.

I would recommend doing this as it saves any hassle.

http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Setting_up_3ds_Max

3ds Max Units Setup

One(1) HeroEngine unit is equal to 10 meters. In order to configure 3ds Max such that each unit demarcation in the Max grid will be equal to one meter, do the following:

Units Setup
Open the Units Setup dialogue in 3ds Max via the Customize > Units Setup... menu and set the "Display Unit Scale" radio button to "Metric" and set "Meters" for the dropdown menu.
Units.jpg

System Unit Setup

Click on the "System Unit Setup" button at the top of the "Unit Setup" dialogue. This will open the "System Unit Setup" dialogue.

For "1 Unit =" enter 0.01 and change the dropdown menu to Meters.
Press the "OK" button on the "System Unit Setup" dialog.
Press the "OK" button on the "Unit Setup" dialog.

Now Restart 3ds Max to apply the changes.

Note: It is possible to build assets in other units scale, however our MAXScript tools are built for the suggested scale listed above.