HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: importing  (Read 8455 times)

DPontious

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: importing
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 15, 09:21:03 AM »

ok, everything uploaded with no errors, well there was UV thing.  But when opening f5 Boxman3 is there he just will not spawn.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 15, 09:28:07 AM »

Okay, in 3DSMax  select the same body part (mesh) you used for the initial export when you used Character Tools.
Now open the Hero Exporter tool (Not the Character Tools) and tick the radio button at the top that says Dynamic Character Part.

With your initial mesh selected, click Export Selected.

Find the folder you exported your character to (with the same name as the Character) and open the "Parts" sub-folder.

OverWrite the original .hgm file that corresponds with the Mesh/body part you are working with.

Now open the Repository Browser, and upload that body part again.

then test your model again using F5 / Character Registry.

DPontious

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 15, 10:00:05 AM »

ok, Did as instructed, nothing happens when i hit create NPC 

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 15, 10:25:09 AM »

any errors in the console panel or the error panel when trying to create the Npc?

also could you post a SS of the material manager panel in 3DSMax with the material selected that you're
using for the model, as well.
also in the SS, include the Modify panel open, mesh selected, and if you're using a skin, the skin/advanced parameters
expanded Please.

thanks

DPontious

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 15, 11:23:14 AM »

ok, no prob ill well do that most likely tomorrow morning.  thanks

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 15, 07:39:54 PM »

If you used the character exporting described here, you may need to re-export the skeleton. Using Hero Export in Max, select the "Dynamic Skeleton" option and export just the skeleton again. I have to do that every time or it doesn't show up in the engine.

DPontious

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 15, 09:21:47 AM »

here are the SS you ask for, also i have spawned a few npc via the f5 command and i cant get rid of them how do i do this.   

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 15, 12:48:07 PM »

Its best to test your models in a "Play" instance , indicated by a number after the area name in the bottom right corner of the blade.  An "Edit" instance will have "Edit" after the area name.

This way, the models are not stored to the Areas .dat file, and you can test all you want.

To get rid of them, in the chat panel/chat window type :
/henpc list npcs

This should print out any npcs with their name in the chat panel.
Then you can type:
/henpc delete "npcname"   
for each one of them to get rid of them.

now as for the model itself, I'm uncertain as to how the Exporter would handle the UnWrap UV modifier in the case of a dynamic character...   Without saving your max project, I would try applying the UnWrapUV BEFORE the skin, AND,
CollapseTo, to commit the UnWrapUV to the mesh, THEN apply the skin modifier.  You should be able to leave the skin modifier NOT collapsed.   This should get rid of the error you're getting when exporting the model.

You'll get the "process has stopped" error sometimes "Once", during intial character export, but you should NOT get it at all during an export of a Dynamic Character Part by itself.

So, try the changes mentioned above and re-export the mesh as a dynamic character part using the Hero Exporter tool.  If that works, you should get no errors.  Upload it, and if you see your character now, then thats solved it.
If you don't see your character now, Also export the dynamic character skeleton as amarak mentioned (it might not have exported right due to errors the first go round).  To export the skeleton, UNselect everything, and choose Dynamic Skeleton in the Hero Exporter (make sure skeleton is visible) and click export UnHidden.
Should get No errors.   Upload it and try again.

I've never gotten this type of error in max using the exporter, however I also have not used any modifiers other than Skin on a Dynamic Character.   

(Just as a Note, You CAN successfully export a static model (barn, rock etc) using the UnWrapUV modifier in the stack, even when its not collapsed.)

Let me know how that goes.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 15, 01:49:57 PM »

Don't let this frustrate you!

Once you get it working, just use the exact same steps every time from then on, and it becomes
quite easy.   After you get the hang of it, you can probably export models (barring the time you spend working on the model itself) in roughly 5 mins per model/body part etc.

A set of steps I use each time:

PreCheck:
make sure textures are converted to .dds AND are scaled to a power of 2 (64/128/512/1024)
and then upload textures to the repo, preventing a spam of errors if i accidentally upload the model
before i upload the textures.

1. check my material to make sure I've already uploaded the right texture to the right folder in the repository.

2. double check my material to make sure all settings are correct (diffuse/normal settings, collide/ignore etc)

3. check object properties on the mesh im using and make sure there are no user defines that might cause issues.

4. Check the skin(if im using Skin) to make sure the max bones affected is 4.

5. make sure the rig is NOT in Pose mode

6. Using the Animation Tools , make sure I have the right animation selected (If im exporting as a character)

For exporting any body part:
7. Make absolute sure the model is in the exact same pose/animation that I exported the original character model.

8. Make sure the SRB or GrannyRootBone has the proper settings in the Hierarchy/links tab.
    Make sure to lock/inherit anything proper for the current animation (idle, walk etc)

9. Hide everything except the mesh I currently need to export (keeping the rig visible)

10. Export the body part/character using the proper tool.

DPontious

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 15, 07:22:56 AM »

AWEWSOME! CollapseTo was the key! he is in, with an idle animation.  Thanks 1000 times over. i figured i would build boxman to practus and learn the syustem before i jump in with real stuff.  i can always start adding Parts to him to learn that as well.      isn't there a way to copy an .dat animation file to paste in Boxman .dat file.   again thanks

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 15, 10:36:35 AM »

Great!
Yeah it helps to take a simple model to learn from and then get more complex.

Sure you can copy the .aas files.  but not so easy to copy .dat files.

Look in either character OR dynamic or dynamic_2 folder for an Animation folder in the repo.
Start with an idle one and copy it to your characters directory.  Make sure its not read only, and edit it to change the file name to the exact name as your animation (idle)  and change the anim name in the script itself to the proper name.

for your animations themselves (.hgm) you CAN use animations from other models but they wont match your rig, so , you'll likely wind up with a squashed char moving around or a pancake, or a ctd.   its fun to animate yourself, but there are also literally thousands of free motion caption files in archives and data bases all over the u.s. and available on the internet.  These can easily be turned into biped animations for your chars.  with some work cleaning them up and editing them just right, you can get plenty of animations without a whole lot of work.

See this page:http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Character_Animations
Pay careful attn to Animation Sets
Animation sequences, animation agent scripts, and animation files links.

for every animation you add, you'll need to:
Add it to the Animation.dat file
Add a .asq file for it
Add it to the BoxMan.aas

these can be tricky at first, look over the links above to better understand them.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 15, 10:48:53 AM by ToY-Krun »

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 15, 10:46:38 AM »

I was thinking the UV Unwrap might be the problem but I was going to test it before I said anything. I've had similar problems with other modifiers in the stack.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 15, 11:59:31 AM »

well, i didn't test it first,(should have i know  ::) ) but it was the only thing I could see that didnt fit my list rofl.
I'll have to add that check to my list now.

DPontious

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 15, 10:31:50 AM »

ok, made a basic walk animation, but the option for animation will not let me click on it. 

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 15, 12:40:04 PM »

Use the VDA anim option,
Then use the Export Unhidden option.

The "Old" method will block itself out if you try to click it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4