HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: I guess Hero is dead?  (Read 3215 times)

Laszlo

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
I guess Hero is dead?
« on: Dec 26, 15, 09:46:47 PM »

I guess Hero is dead? I say this for a couple a reasons. I have been doing a lot of reading because I want to play around with making my own game. After all my reading it came down to unity with a addon that helps the back in of a mmo or Hero. So I plan on buying both and seeing what I like the most. I got everything I need with Unity but I can not buy Hero and I am guessing it has to do with some money things going on. I also see that it is dead here so many be I am trying to jump into Hero to late :( Hero really seem like it was going to be what I was looking for.

Warded

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: I guess Hero is dead?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 15, 10:18:22 PM »

Hero isn't dead and I wouldn't expect it to be any time soon. As you mentioned and read they have had some issues that they are working through and hopefully everything can be squared away soon. I know the current management has been leaps and bounds better than what was around previously and they appear to be relentless in getting things squared away for the long term.

Speaking about the engine itself, their is honestly nothing like Hero and the backbone they provide for MMO's and real-time collaboration. It takes a bit to get used to Hero Script but they have a lot of tools to help build a game along the way. The biggest problem most people run into is that they plan on making an enormous AAA like game and realize too late that their scope is just unreasonable and give up. A MMO is not the easiest genre to complete as an Indie but this engine can be used for much more than trying to make a game that puts WOW to shame in scope. Idea Fabrik has some amazing things planned for the engine which would really help change the landscape around here, I'd expect we start seeing some of those changes sooner rather than later.

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 15, 11:13:10 PM »

There's information about new users in one of the recent updates - https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,6076.0.html
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 15, 12:10:25 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forums  Laszlo,
    HeroEngine is not dead, though because of a bit of a dispute, we are facing some temporary hard times. Because of the uncertainty of if we were going to face a temporary service blackout, we did end up turning off subscriptions last month. We thought it would be unfair if we do have a temporary loss of service, to have this effect people that just subscribed.

There is nothing wrong with our servers and all development servers are still up and running at this time. Do keep an eye on the News section of the forum for more updates.

Thank you for posting and asking though. I wish I could give you an instant positive answer right now, but until w sort out this other issue, we want to make sure we are fair to everyone. Plus, as many here will attest, I am quite stubborn!

Peace, and have a happy holiday!
- Sarrene'

Laszlo

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 15, 09:14:54 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I completely understand that making any game is a ton of work. I have no false expectations. Really I am just doing this for me and a mmo community that I help run. This is a long time dream of mine. I do understand that there is a 99.99% chance if not worse that the game turnstarts into nothing and I'm OK with that. If it does that's great too. I remember long ago the work that I put into making the largest uo server and this would be 100% worse if it became anything. I been drawing out a mmo for over 20 years and just think it would be fun to do. It's a hobby of mine more than anything. I been doing a lot of studying on Hero and unity with a new add on for mmos that have been made. They now do servers too but it cost $60 a month. I may do both depending just to see what software I like better unless I get to use to unity before hero opens back up. I seen somewhere where Hero should be back before the 1st but it's not looking that way and the bad thing is when I'm ready to do something I want to jump on it then. I know flaw of mine but it has been a long time plan and have been researching it would over a 1000 member mmo group. Even if only they played it, we'll it would still be fun.