HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Discussion about HE game developing  (Read 4623 times)

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Discussion about HE game developing
« on: Dec 30, 15, 05:03:24 PM »

Hi all, I was working on my character for my game and was thinking about all the different teams out there and what they are doing. As a game artist, I admit my game is not really started from a coding stand point, but I decided to make some great characters and start from there, then work into the coding. So here are a few questions I have for the community in general...

Q1. There has been some discussion about HE being shut down temporarily, and if that happens how will this affect you and your project?
A1. Since I am working on 3D assets, it won't hurt my project in the short term.

Q2. How many of you are close to Alpha testing your game?
A2. As stated above I have a long way to go.

Q3. Are you on a large budget, small budget, or working on your game for free right now?
A3. I am doing this by myself in my spare time so it's for free. I only pay for HE.

Q4. When we are close to alpha/beta testing, do we have to pay for more servers?
A4.

Q5. Where do we get more assets for our games?
A5. To me, assets are difficult to find simply because it can be obvious to the players when you mix art styles from various sources. That being said, you can search the web for assets and just pick the ones that fit in a certain style, or hire your own artists when you get a kick starter going.

Q6. I have heard there is some confusion about whether we get a website with HE. Do we?
A6. From what I understand, no. We have to make our own web site and find our own host for it.

Q7. When you release your game, how do you plan to generate income?
A7. I want to set up a monthly sub plus micro transactions for game features.

etc...

I would encourage you all to answer these questions and post your own. I think as a community we can help each other grow and complete our projects, and for many of us this is our first project so it can be quite daunting.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion about HE game developing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 15, 06:55:08 PM »

Q1. There has been some discussion about HE being shut down temporarily, and if that happens how will this affect you and your project?
A1. We are actually behind on preparing assets and so have alot of that to do... so we would not lose
      the ability to work entirely, only the ability to upload the assets while the servers are down IF they went down

A2. Very close, we are currently working on our Demo.  We plan a private pre alpha within the next month or so.

Q3. Are you on a large budget, small budget, or working on your game for free right now?
A3. We are on a very small budget currently, working our way to producing our first Kickstarter project.

Q4. When we are close to alpha/beta testing, do we have to pay for more servers?
A4. We plan a private Pre Alpha initially which we have seats for already.  We aren't sure of the limits of our
      current server configuration, but don't plan to need a massive amount more before Beta.

A5. We have made use of a number of asset outlets online , as well as customized our own.
      Potential asset outlets are: Arteria3D, TurboSquid, DexSoft, 3DFoin and quite a few others.
      I understand that there is a planned marketplace for HE in the works (or was).

Q6. I have heard there is some confusion about whether we get a website with HE. Do we?
A6. We receive recognition/publicity on the main HE web site, listed among the HE games, but must
      create our own site.

A7. We plan to have a 3 tier subscription system, plus game item store. 
      Subscriptions will not be required to play the game, but benefit of subscription will far outweigh
      the cost.  Some features will be limited to subscribers due to the overhead they will produce.
      There will be a purchase price for the Game itself before being able to download it.
      We currently do not plan to box the game for public retail.

Good list of questions Reg, offhand I don't have anymore :)

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 15, 04:00:17 AM »

Q0. What has your experience been with HeroEngine, in the past few years and the last 6 months?
A0. Some here may not know this, but I was an Indie Dev myself here on HeroEngine. It is how I got started (Hint- a few of the engineers started out this way also)- I still am. My own personal experience has been a love/hate relationship, though more love than anything. TGS left for some personal reasons, but many of us stayed helping the community with their games, projects and dreams. I believe strongly in the technology and the great engineers for more reasons than I can state. I also believe strongly in the community because as a whole you all are great.
HeroEngine had some major problems, and there are still some there yet to work out. And moving out from an R&D phase can be difficult. Though we (IFStudios) have worked hard to improve the experience here, development difficulties and some of those glaring bugs that drive all of us mad. I would love to hear the experiences you all have had- The good, bad and ugly. (though good is always nice too hehe).

A1. I have a project as some here know, this will put an unwanted delay for us, but it will also give some time for my team to finish planning and finish up some assets. Though I would love to hear what everyone thinks about this possibility: concerns, fears, expectations or other questions.

A2. I know of 10 games that are close to release, Beta or Open Alpha in the next 18 months. There might be a few more "silent" developers out there as well. ;)

A3. Most teams are on a small budget. Though in the last 6 months I have helped several teams set up and build a pack to help with finding investors or even preparing for Kickstarters, IndieGoGo, etc. Some of the community with experience has been a great help as well to others.

A4. Depends on if you want a large scale or smaller scale. We will provide separate current servers which you do not pay for, or if you really want, we can move you to the live servers. Generally for Alpha and very early Beta we suggest the smaller route and scale up when you are prepared and ready.

A5. Art assets are all up to you. The community here is great and can usually provide assistance with creating them. There are other sites as well where you can buy assets or find people to create. 3D Foin and Gajatix are two great examples.
Once all is sorted and back to the good normal, we will be working on a 3d asset store for companies like the above, as well as for all of you to submit and sell your own assets to the community. I know in the past this has been stated, but a few here know that I have been working and testing the first prototype. More news will come of this once we are back up on our feet again.

A6. We do not provide a website for your game, but we can offer assistance when teams are close and ready for their own site. We do however help with promotions of your game, and other development.

A7. Games can go almost route they can think of. HeroEngine is currently based on using HeroCoins that your players can buy on the site (Coming soonish) and use in your game, or buy through the in game Micro transaction store you can set up in your world. We have provided support on how to get it set up and working to developers. Think of how SOE and many other companies have handled their multiple games and shops.
As your game comes close to working on the store we will help with different options and if you want, assist with building a building a business plan so you can make money.

« Last Edit: Dec 31, 15, 04:09:26 AM by HE-SARRENE »

Cdngater

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 15, 09:24:17 AM »

A1. Since I am a coder and flying solo this could be devastating depending on how long. A week or two ok, but months, then I may as well go back to Unity3D.

A2. i have a long way to go.

A3. I am doing this by myself in my spare time so it's for free. I only pay for HE.

A4. I would assume yes as its outside of my current subscription model.

A5. Assets for me are difficult as I am a coder and not a 3D artist.  The HE website says there are demos,  but you cannot access their assets.  I do wish HE had something like the Unity 3D Asset store itself. I know there is alot of anti asset shop thinking, but seeing as I'm no modeller I'd use it as a stepping stone in gaining a real artist to help make proper models for the game.

A6. From what I understood there is no included website.  HE only provides the game services and billing.

A7. I am not at that point yet, but was thinking micro transactions.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 15, 10:05:49 AM by Cdngater »

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 15, 11:00:20 AM »

Thank you Cdngater for your thoughts.

A1. Comments: I really hope not also. A lot depends on negotiations and how they go in the new year. Being primarily a coder, I fully understand how devastating that can be. To bad we did not have something like an "offline" editor eh? My motto is "Prepare for the worst, but always hope for the best."

A4. Comments: For your servers, it really depends on if you want to stay on the current, or think you need to set up a full scale live server. We do have a few in alpha and beta that are not paying for their servers as they did not expect more than a few hundred people. So a lot depends on what you think you will need at that time. We do work with you.

A5. Comments: For an asset store, that is NOT a bad word to me or the engineers. In fact our artists have been working on assets for when we are ready to alpha/beta test our shop (once it is finished being built of course). This is actually in development, though a bit slow right now.

If there are other questions or comments any of you have, feel free to add them also!

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 15, 07:03:18 PM »

Well this brings up a question about the HE Asset Store. What is the planned split when selling? I have sold on other stores for 30-50% commission, and while I think 50% is a bit high, it is actually quite normal for art in general.

IF could use it as a small source of extra income, and it would give indie developers a way of getting assets already in HE format. The requirement of 3DS Max or Maya is a huge turn-off to would-be developers, so offering a selection of low cost assets would help mitigate that problem.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 15, 07:32:47 PM »

With the ability to "rent" max or maya now for around 80 USD per month, its not so bad, but I do know the feeling of thinking in the back of your mind "how am i going to come up with 5k to pay for that".  Before AutoDesk began leasing their products recently, it was a major hurdle to overcome, but not near as bad now.  IF you have your models prepped ahead of time, you can import/export quite a bit of models in a months time.  Assuming you're used to using max/maya that is, however if you're not, Its natural that IF/HE  should probably assume you are, or have a modeler on your team (or that you will get one or pay for the services of others).

That being said though, Its already been stated in the past that FBX very possibly would be useable in the future at  some point.   

So granted it is a concern, but not one that IF/HE is unaware of / unsympathetic to.

I agree, the asset store would be a huge bonus I think in the minds of would be world owners.

A4. Comments: For your servers, it really depends on if you want to stay on the current, or think you need to set up a full scale live server. We do have a few in alpha and beta that are not paying for their servers as they did not expect more than a few hundred people. So a lot depends on what you think you will need at that time. We do work with you.

That answered quite a few questions for me.  So its based on what I think I need as far as a player base for alpha.  I can definitely see scaling up for beta if the situation called for it, but for us, alpha wont require more than a couple hundred players, at least with current projections.

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 15, 08:58:49 PM »

A slight correction, 3DS Max is $185 per month, but you can get it for $1249 ($104/month) if you get a 1 year sub.

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 15, 09:40:07 PM »

Well this brings up a question about the HE Asset Store. What is the planned split when selling? I have sold on other stores for 30-50% commission, and while I think 50% is a bit high, it is actually quite normal for art in general.

...<snip>...

The plan is to be 30%. This does a few things; it keeps consistency, so you do not have to figure out different amounts between game and asset store, and keeps a nice fair price. We handle the hosting and bandwidth, the rest is up to you.

The only issue we are facing right now is the directory system. If exported as HGM and textures, there is the issue of each team has a slightly different (or radically different) file system. Since assets follow an absolute path, it can make it a bit different if one person exports into one file, while the person buying it has their own totally different directory layout. If it is different you end up with that flashing texture and errors.

I can think of two options around this right now (until there is fbx or obj support):
    1) Use the path and directories that are included from the seller (can clutter things up eventually)
    2) use the material overrides, then re-save the asset with your custom directory system in the Asset Library.

What are your thoughts on this?

Warded

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 15, 11:04:50 PM »

A1. Not at all. Most of the stuff done on our servers so far is just for learning. I have taken the possibility of this happening to hash out our game design more and to learn more before we proceed further.

A2. No where near close as most systems were done for learning and don't resemble what we want on release. Also missing a lot of art assets.

A3. Free (small if we really need something).

A4. I would expect us to go with the non-live Alpha version as we test more and more. Beta might see us going to live however beta would be expected to be short and more of a stress test/last bugs type of deal.

A5. We have gotten assets from different stores and use them solely for design purposes. We have also made some basic items to use as placeholders as some of us are not modelers. We have had in house artists make assets for us that are meant specifically for the game as well.

A6.  I know we don't and Sarrene has answered this in a previous post.

A7. Game Sales and would prefer lower subscription with micro, but I feel like it might be prudent to do a Buy, FTP, with a Sub/Micro setup.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 16, 01:18:00 AM »

A slight correction, 3DS Max is $185 per month, but you can get it for $1249 ($104/month) if you get a 1 year sub.

hrm my bad then, its gone up since i used it last i guess.  Still, its much more doable than it used to be.

If someone were wise and had the time, there is a lot of need for exporting service among HE teams..
Granted most folks are busy with their own games.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 16, 09:33:01 AM »

Plenty of life in the old girl yet.

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 16, 11:17:33 AM »

I would be willing to get Max and convert assets for everyone for a small fee. Enough to help pay for Max plus the time. the price would depend on the complexity of the model; for example a character with rigging would take more time and thus cost more than a static asset.