HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Texture import problem  (Read 2743 times)

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Texture import problem
« on: Feb 11, 16, 10:23:35 PM »

I am testing out my textures and uploaded both the .DDS texture and Normal Map in my repository as shown here:

But when I am logged in and try to add my texture to a surface, all I am getting is this:

Why is it showing blank? Not even the default repository files are showing up.

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: Texture import problem
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 16, 10:29:07 PM »

It looks like your folder pathway isn't identical - the textures on your computer are in the texture folder, but they're uploaded to a sub-folder called "Misc" in the repository.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 16, 10:32:13 PM »

It looks like your folder pathway isn't identical - the textures on your computer are in the texture folder, but they're uploaded to a sub-folder called "Misc" in the repository.

Yes but even so, the repository shows not only my new files in Misc, but the default files as well. When I click the Misc folder, I should see something at least shouldn't I?

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 16, 10:32:33 PM »

Amanda is right, the textures need the exact same path under HeroEngine directory. This means on your local drive you also have to have the textures in the Misc folder, and save it that way in Max/Maya.

Edit: I see what you mean, they don't show up in HE. I'm checking into mine now...

Edit again: I can't reproduce the problem. I set my directory up just like yours and can see my texture.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 16, 10:42:50 PM by Amarak »

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 16, 11:25:49 PM »

Amanda is right, the textures need the exact same path under HeroEngine directory. This means on your local drive you also have to have the textures in the Misc folder, and save it that way in Max/Maya.

Edit: I see what you mean, they don't show up in HE. I'm checking into mine now...

Edit again: I can't reproduce the problem. I set my directory up just like yours and can see my texture.

Ya I am actually stumped on this one. Thought it was perhaps my system and rebooted, with the same results. I can open the asset library just fine and see everything. None of the textures are showing up though.

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 16, 08:01:43 AM »

Good morning,
    I can see how this is a wee bit frustrating. A few systems have dedicated paths to increase optimizations. Try placing the textures inside the following directory:
HE\world\livecontent\TerrainMaps

You can have as many sub-directories as you like inside there, but terrain maps must go in that directory.

Give that a try, and let me know how that works out for you.

:)

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 16, 08:35:43 AM »

Hey,  I see the issue, and its an easy one to look over.

ALL terrain editor textures MUst have a suffix of "_d"...soo..

mytexture_d.dds would be fine.

Double check your paths, and add the suffix to the texture file and it "should" work.

NOTE:
For textures to show up in Terrain editor, diffuse must contain "_d" and Normals must contain "_n".

Sorry one more clarification:
you CANNOT open (nor list) textures that don't meet this qualification (which means most all other DEFAULT textures)
Originally, the only textures that meet this seemed to be the terrain textures only.   (with a few exceptions im sure) so dont worry that you dont see textures in other folders when using the Terrain Editor Texture chooser.

A good idea to save frustration is to use that folder ONLY for Terrain textures.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 16, 08:41:09 AM by ToY-Krun »

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 16, 08:41:16 AM »

Ah, good point and good catch!  I totally forgot to mention that one!

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 16, 11:48:55 AM »

Hey,  I see the issue, and its an easy one to look over.

ALL terrain editor textures MUst have a suffix of "_d"...soo..

mytexture_d.dds would be fine.

Double check your paths, and add the suffix to the texture file and it "should" work.

NOTE:
For textures to show up in Terrain editor, diffuse must contain "_d" and Normals must contain "_n".

Sorry one more clarification:
you CANNOT open (nor list) textures that don't meet this qualification (which means most all other DEFAULT textures)
Originally, the only textures that meet this seemed to be the terrain textures only.   (with a few exceptions im sure) so dont worry that you dont see textures in other folders when using the Terrain Editor Texture chooser.

A good idea to save frustration is to use that folder ONLY for Terrain textures.

That was it! Thank you! I totally forgot about the extra add. I went in, changed the names with a _d and _n and everything is working fine now. +1 Awesomeness to you ToY-Krun

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 16, 05:42:33 PM »

i spotted it because I wind up forgetting that myself from time to time :)