HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Concerning Renderer Upgrades  (Read 3418 times)

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
Concerning Renderer Upgrades
« on: Feb 16, 16, 09:38:26 AM »

I'm curious, will the upgrades over the next year bring new file types/prototypes such as replacing the ".hgm" and "hgmInstance"/"hgmAsset" types?

If so, will these still be supported?

I ask because we rely heavily on the HGM instance prototype.

Major concerns would be changes to field Names/types for the HGM instance/asset prototypes.
This would result in a complete overhaul of many of our editors and object systems.

Will there be changes to the HeightMap  Instance/Asset prototypes?

Will there be changes to the FX system to the extent that current FX specs would need to be recreated?

Very much looking forward to the new changes, but also looking ahead at any issues we might run into on our end when these changes take place.

Thanks

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Concerning Renderer Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 16, 11:25:02 AM »

From what I understand, HE will continue to use the .hgm file format. When FBX is supported, the engine will convert it to .hgm. This will allow current assets to still be used. Of course, I could be wrong or things could change in the future.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 16, 11:57:58 AM »

From what ive seen, its going to look purdy!!!

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 16, 06:58:23 PM »

I agree!  Excited to get to work with it.

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 16, 07:11:14 PM »

I will do the best to answer some of these things as I am able. Of course, a lot of these answers come out to being "We dont know yet". The reason is because of the new and modern systems that will be updates, integrated or changed.
    These changes will be done in stages. As we delve into each system, we will do our very best to let you know if there is a significant change to the systems. We will know what and how it will effect everyone as we begin each of the phases.

I'm curious, will the upgrades over the next year bring new file types/prototypes such as replacing the ".hgm" and "hgmInstance"/"hgmAsset" types? - Yes it will, but to what degree- we are unsure at this time.

If so, will these still be supported? - Yes, though some of the scripts may have an "End of Life" cycle, but we will let you know ahead of time!

I ask because we rely heavily on the HGM instance prototype. - Yes you do!

Major concerns would be changes to field Names/types for the HGM instance/asset prototypes.
This would result in a complete overhaul of many of our editors and object systems
. - It may, but we will do our best to be as progressive/evolutionary as possible.

Will there be changes to the HeightMap  Instance/Asset prototypes? - More than likely yes. To what degree we do not know yet, but it will be much better than current!

Will there be changes to the FX system to the extent that current FX specs would need to be recreated? - Yes, and very possible, as there is a huge difference between old material systems and PBR materials.

Very much looking forward to the new changes, but also looking ahead at any issues we might run into on our end when these changes take place. - We are going to do our very best and let everyone know what changes are coming in. We cannot forward for every single "Odd Use Case" <cough *Kelly* Cough> but we will be developing this in a more progressive manor and let everyone know what work it may take as we get to each step/phase.

Thanks

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 16, 07:54:05 PM »

Good info.

I ask because we rely heavily on the HGM instance prototype. - Yes you do!

Lol.

This is all good to know, I realize theres alot that will hinge on a number of variables as the updates proceed.

Thank you for replying!

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 16, 07:49:02 PM »

It's always a tough battle to bring new and greatness while not instant nuking backwards compatiability. I think as long as we get the tools we will need to make transitions smoother we will be ok.

So if we need to go to a new file format, or rework assets etc if a tool or aid could be created to help I think we would all be very great for that.

So for example if the FX system has to have a full rework, which i'm fine with never been super ultra happy with it. Super powerful yes, super easy to use no. Then having a tool which at bottom line cases lists off all the assets that need changed or are in the wrong format at least would be helpful. Just as a way to help scour through all the work we have.

Same for scripts etc. I think the hardest part of making any upgrade conversion is just knowing where everything that still needs work is to be worked on.

So Sarrene might we get some scripts / commands to run against when the time comes might be something super helpful.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 16, 08:34:11 PM »

That is the general rule/difficulty of software development.
And yes, the plan is that anything that has to be reworked from the bottom up or cannot be converted over directly will remain as legacy for x amount of time. Migration tools where needed will be a focus as well. :)