HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Character Creation  (Read 2592 times)

Merrie

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Character Creation
« on: Feb 22, 16, 06:00:44 PM »

I got started with Hero Engine way back when it was just getting started.  I'm back taking a look around. I have a question regarding character creation. Character creation is not my strong suit in modeling, does Hero engine come with a base male/female character you can customize?

And if I purchase some characters off a 3rd party website what should I look for?  (Model format, type of skeleton etc.)

Thank you!

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Character Creation
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 16, 06:17:55 PM »

At this time, HE only has a female character as a placeholder. It does have a few customizations with it to show you how to create your own, but you don't really build on the one provided.

As far as format, it doesn't matter as long as you can import it into 3DS Max or Maya, then export it to Heroengine using the custom exporter. HE uses the HGM format for now, but they are looking at adding FBX support later this year (no promises or ETA).

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 16, 06:37:59 PM »

HI and welcome back!

For models which YOU will animate OR Rig yourself,
as amarak mentioned you wont find anything that is already in HE format, however look to make sure they have either the OBJ or FBX formats available IF they dont have it in max/maya.  You could also use other formats (3DS, DAE etc) but FBX tends to be easier to deal with.

There are a number of options out there, AutoDesk has the Character Generator, there are outlets such as TurboSquid, and then there are several modelers such as 3Dfoin that advertise on the forums here.

My recommendation (from someone who began not knowing the first thing about modeling/animating) would be to find a useable model, regardless of detail, and begin learning the ropes from setup in max/maya, to exporting to HE and then setting up the animations via .AAS scripts.

But again, Look for OBJ and/or FBX primarily IF they dont have the model in MAX/Maya format.

I didnt take into account animated models.  if you're looking for models that are already animated, then I personally stick with only Max/Maya scenes as it can be a challenge converting bones from fbx to export to HE.  To use the Biped system in autodesk the FBX bones have to be converted.   So you can use FBX, and you can convert it to Biped, but you'll save some time if you can find models already in max/maya format.   In which case they'll already be using Cat or Biped systems most likely.

There are exceptions to this, such as Autodesks Character Generator which provides you with a script which will convert the provided FBX model to Biped within 3DSMax.

Merrie

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 16, 10:38:56 AM »

At this time, HE only has a female character as a placeholder. It does have a few customizations with it to show you how to create your own, but you don't really build on the one provided.

As far as format, it doesn't matter as long as you can import it into 3DS Max or Maya, then export it to Heroengine using the custom exporter. HE uses the HGM format for now, but they are looking at adding FBX support later this year (no promises or ETA).

Thank you! Yes they have been saying they are adding FBX support for 'along' time.

Merrie

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 16, 10:41:34 AM »

Thank you folks that's exactly what  I needed to know To Y-Krun, details are much appreciated.

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 16, 12:37:12 PM »

Thank you! Yes they have been saying they are adding FBX support for 'along' time.

Aye, this is a big and long running.. almost joke in some ways (yes I actually said that).  To be strait forward, plans are to have it out by Christmas/new years. However, it will NOT come before a lot of other things are added in.

We want to make sure that everything is done correctly and in the correct order. So making things as painless for all of our current developers is the key! IE: no more rush jobs that result in buggy updates.

NOTE: Not saying that bugs will not happen, as they will- tis the nature of development and updating/upgrading software. However, preventing as much as possible, the need for our developers (you) to have to go back and redo work is important. Some will be unavoidable, but we will not know what will be seamlessly upgraded and what will need to be in legacy and updated by the developers until we get to those parts. We will let you know ahead of time though. We have a good few Support Volunteers that will help us with that testing in real case environments. Even the odd cases like someone I know. ;)

Our next two updates in a few months will be the start of this process however. So keep an eye out for the news. Transition between both R&D to production, as well as Management takes a while. However, I am VERY lucky with the engineering team. They are great, especially for a small company.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 16, 02:06:56 PM »

Wheres the Like button????

We need a Like button! :o

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile