HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Import from blender to 3ds Max with Hero Material is blank  (Read 3461 times)

ess0523

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

I imported a blender model (my artist only has blender) into 3ds Max 2016 and changed the Standard Materials into Hero Materials. The place where the standard material used to be applied goes blank and I am left with a model with (visually) no color. When I add the .dds textres into the hero material, nothing changes. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone explain the right way to do this? I can send the model to anybody who wants to check it out.

P.S. I can't get the hero material to apply to any other object either. It applies but there is never any color or texture, even after I add the texture in.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 16, 03:21:17 PM by ess0523 »

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Import from blender to 3ds Max with Hero Material is blank
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 16, 04:10:34 PM »

Once you added the .dds texture to the Hero material, did you try rendering the model in Max?

ess0523

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 16, 06:17:00 PM »

I never tried that before so I just did. When I press render, it renders the correct material and color in the render window. The normal view window that is default when I open up 3ds max does not show any color still. Is this a setting I need to turn on to show the hero material colors? Also will the rendered version be what is shown in HeroEngine?

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 16, 09:48:08 PM »

Yes, in the Material Editor, just above the material name, there is an option to "Show Shaded Material in Viewport" click on that

ess0523

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 16, 10:48:18 PM »

Okay, I got it to work and upload to heroengine and I can see it in 3ds max. Now another problem...(should I put this in a new thread or keep this one?).

I import the model into the engine and put it in the world but nothing shows and I get repeats of 2 errors:
ERROR:System:[\tree.hgm] MeshAssetSpec unknown Property: MapChannel:1 = UVMap
ERROR:System:ModelGroup::Load() attempting to load [\tree.hgm], had a model not part of LOD chain: [grass]) and we already had our base model specified

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 16, 11:18:39 PM »

If you have a UV Map modifier, you need to collapse it in the modifier stack. HE doesn't like modifiers, except the Skin modifier, so collapse them all before exporting. If that isn't the problem let me know. :)

ess0523

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 16, 12:50:33 PM »

I don't think I have a UV Map modifier on, but I could be mistaken...How could I check? Also what could it be if it is not that?

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 29, 16, 06:19:39 PM »

This is the modifier stack:

It's on the right side of the Max screen where the X is here:

In the first image it shows a bunch of Modifiers with a UVW Map selected, and to collapse them you right click and choose the option to Collapse To or Collapse All.

At this time I can't think of anything else it would be, but will let you know if I think of anything. If you want, I can take a look at the model itself if you save it as a Max scene for me.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 16, 06:58:43 PM »

Check what Amarak mentioned, and the following error:

ERROR:System:[\tree.hgm] MeshAssetSpec unknown Property: MapChannel:1 = UVMap
Can be fixed by selecting the model in max and right click/object properties, then click on the user defined tab, and remove the following:

MapChannel:1 = UVMap

If what Amarak suggested doesnt solve the second Error, then double check to make sure you only have ONE mesh selected when you export.   If its a Group, let us know, there could be an issue there.

ERROR:System:ModelGroup::Load() attempting to load [\tree.hgm], had a model not part of LOD chain: [grass]) and we already had our base model specified

This suggests that there is a mesh called "grass" which is not part of the mesh you attempted to export, that somehow got tied in with it.

ess0523

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 16, 08:44:07 PM »

Thank you guys so much! It now works. What I had to do is delete that part from the "object properties" under "user defined". Then I had to make all my parts of the model (from blender) into 1 mesh using "attach list" in 3ds max. Now it is imported and in the game perfectly. Thanks for being patient as I am still very new to this.

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 16, 08:51:16 PM »

You're welcome. I think ToY-Krun was spot on. :)

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 16, 01:36:43 PM »

You're welcome!