HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: General Questions On World Building  (Read 1787 times)

Brianirvin

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
General Questions On World Building
« on: Mar 17, 16, 12:26:49 PM »

Since Hero Engine has a method of linking areas or rooms seamlessly I would like to know if this is the route to go if I wanted to recreate the planets of Star Wars Galaxies?  I would like the player to appear on the opposite side of the map when they get to the edge of said map to give the illusion of looping around.  Also what is the difference between single and height map grid?

My other question is more of a clarify one.  Am I right to say areas are "levels" in single player games, and rooms would be used for instances?  I tried doing a wiki search and forum search didn't find much.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
Re: General Questions On World Building
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 16, 02:02:45 PM »

Hi Brian,

There is some info on the wiki, which can be harder to find, and that is being worked on, but here are some Quotes
from the wiki that may help:

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Area

Thats a pretty good list of descriptions of an HE area, but heres some further clarification in "other words":

Each HE Area is a server process, and is treated as its own server.  In this manner, it "is" like a "level" or a "zone".
An HE Area's useful size is determined by the assets within it and any physical boundaries you implement. 

An HE Area is also a Unit of data storage called System Areas IF set up as one.
System Areas are normal areas, with a very special setup, and rather than contain assets, they store and handle special information.

Rooms are non continuous volumes of space within an Area, defined by the models/assets assigned to them.
Example: you have an interior AND Exterior for a building and you want the interior to be invisible to the Exterior and vice versa; You would create a room called "interior" and add the interior model to that room.  Entering the building would turn off rendering for anything not in the room called "interior".  This takes practice setting up properly but thats the gist of it. 

Rooms are a part of Areas.

Seamless Areas are handled in 2 ways, version 1 and version 2. 

Seamless 1.0: http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Seamless

Seamless 2.0: http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Seamless_World_2.0

I would like the player to appear on the opposite side of the map when they get to the edge of said map to give the illusion of looping around.

This could be done using either method but more efficiently using Seamless 2.0
Notice the "infinite loop" example layout on the Seamless 2.0 page.

I'll leave it at that for now as not to toss too much at you to begin with :P

If that doesnt help answer your questions, let us know!

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 16, 02:09:17 PM »

Just don't recreate the actual planets from SWG - Disney would frown on that kind of thing  :P
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 16, 02:11:08 PM »

I forgot to mention instances.

Every time the World spins up an area, that is an instance.  Instance 0 is always the EDIT version of that area where
you would make changes to terrain/add models etc, and those changes would be saved.

If the population of the area reaches a cap (set by you) another "instance" is spun up, which is another copy of that area.  As each instance is spun up, you have the opportunity to do special "setup" for it and so can setup special "instances" of areas as needed for events/quests etc, its really dependent on how you design your game.

You can, with the right setup, create an "instanced" type situation using rooms as well using triggers and scripting.

It can be as complex or as simple as you design it, which is part of the beauty of HE, its very flexible.

Yes the information can be hard to find via the Wiki but "partially" in defense of the wiki... there is a LOT of information, but there is also alot of information on the forums and when in doubt, don't hesitate to ask! :)

Brianirvin

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 16, 02:22:18 PM »

Thanks for the replies, and rest assured I'm not recreating SWG planets, but it was a well known example of what I was trying to accomplish.