HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: FBX  (Read 2128 times)

Brianirvin

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
FBX
« on: Mar 17, 16, 05:33:30 PM »

After searching the forums I see that the lack of FBX support is a major complaint and that it is being actively worked on.  Is there any update other than its being worked on, and or a possible date when it is coming?

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: FBX
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 16, 06:32:07 PM »

Hello Brian,
    At this time there is not a date set. We have a lot of things in the works right now as we speak, which is the preparations for FBX support. At this time, do not expect to see it until the big announcement later this year. But these preparations will be more than worth it. We do have a lot of things that are coming up soon, all of which help prepare for the badly needed and wanted updates- including FBX.

For updates, please keep watch on the forums News and Announcements. I am sorry I cannot give you a time line right now, or even an estimated date. Being a small company and team, rest assured that I have the engineers slaving.. I mean the engineers are working hard. :)

ConvertibleTurtle

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 16, 11:06:34 PM »

HE-SARRENE,

By your above post do you mean not to expect a date for implementation until later this year, or that the implementation may occur later this year?

I love Hero Engine. As a single person trying to bring a world to life it seemed like a great opportunity, especially at the $100 licensing for the cloud.

Then I realized I would have to forego my Mac, and buy a windows PC. Not a problem, have to spend money to do the things we love after all, and it was a one time cost.

I was able to go through that hurdle, and presumed the graphics side would be something I wouldn't need to worry about for a while, but still priced out Maya and 3D-Max, finding out the rental cost and the perpetual cost was prohibitive. Not being an artist, but a coder, I presumed there would be some form of a alternative cost, or a doable solution in the interim.

The only affordable solution for my purposes that I've found at present appears to be not to use Hero Engine. =/

When I view the $185 monthly requirement to produce art assets for a $100 per year license, it's like finding a top of the line luxury car for $10 a month and then finding out that the car only runs on Pure Methanol (The same fuel used in Nascaar, presently running at $10 a gallon, is high on the toxicity scale and burns at a rate that produces around 50% of the mpg of normal gasoline.)

I'm presently debating on renewal of my license this year, as the FBX implementation appeared to be coming soon when I first signed up for the engine. If the support is still 8+ months away, then as much as I love Hero Engine, I may need to start over with a different system.

With as awesome as Hero Engine is, I feel as if I shouldn't expect the program to do or support more, but the lack of being able to add models for how I learn and build is a large stumbling block for myself.

Edit: I see in another post where FBX may be added for Christmas this year? If that's the case I may renew.
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 16, 11:08:49 PM by ConvertibleTurtle »

Brianirvin

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 16, 08:55:16 AM »

I am using my mac book pro using boot camp, no need to buy a new pc unless yours doesn't meet specs.

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 16, 02:42:01 PM »

By your above post do you mean not to expect a date for implementation until later this year, or that the implementation may occur later this year?
    - We expect implementation later this year. However I will not do dates as this is a lot of work with the updates that will be coming out. It was a choice to focus on FBX only and get that out sooner, or the really cool updates AND FBX a bit later. 

I love Hero Engine. As a single person trying to bring a world to life it seemed like a great opportunity, especially at the $100 licensing for the cloud.  Then I realized I would have to forego my Mac, and buy a windows PC. Not a problem, have to spend money to do the things we love after all, and it was a one time cost.
    - As Brianirvin pointed out there are other options for Mac users right now. However, this is something that we do want to address as Mac users are become more popular again. But there is no need to purchase a pc unless you want to.

I was able to go through that hurdle, and presumed the graphics side would be something I wouldn't need to worry about for a while, but still priced out Maya and 3D-Max, finding out the rental cost and the perpetual cost was prohibitive. Not being an artist, but a coder, I presumed there would be some form of a alternative cost, or a doable solution in the interim.
    - To start you can use the student version of Maya or Max. However, a license would need to be purchased prior to releasing your game into Beta or Live.

The only affordable solution for my purposes that I've found at present appears to be not to use Hero Engine. =/

When I view the $185 monthly requirement to produce art assets for a $100 per year license, it's like finding a top of the line luxury car for $10 a month and then finding out that the car only runs on Pure Methanol (The same fuel used in Nascaar, presently running at $10 a gallon, is high on the toxicity scale and burns at a rate that produces around 50% of the mpg of normal gasoline.)
    - I am not sure what you mean by the $185 monthly cost for assets? Or is this the cost of the Max cloud?

I'm presently debating on renewal of my license this year, as the FBX implementation appeared to be coming soon when I first signed up for the engine. If the support is still 8+ months away, then as much as I love Hero Engine, I may need to start over with a different system.

With as awesome as Hero Engine is, I feel as if I shouldn't expect the program to do or support more, but the lack of being able to add models for how I learn and build is a large stumbling block for myself.

- There is also the other option of working with the community as well. Please feel free to ask anyone around about a coop with some of the artists or even how to obtain the student version of Max. We do have a skype group as well for those types of personal assistance. Feel free to PM me if you are interested in joining one of the two groups.

Edit: I see in another post where FBX may be added for Christmas this year? If that's the case I may renew.

ConvertibleTurtle

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 16, 07:27:08 PM »

HE-SARRENE,

Thank you for the quick reply, that's another thing I love about the Hero Engine Team.

The choice to purchase the PC was was due to the options available between a dedicated PC or to partitioning out my iOS dev system. The choice was driven financially, and I was fortunate enough to purchase one of the Alienware pre-Steambox systems with specs that exceeded the Hero Engine requirements for less than the VM Ware client and hardware upgrades would have cost.

For the Student Version of Max or Maya, I understand the common usage of the Student Version of the software, but my own morals prevent me expecting future customers to pay and at the same time not pay Autodesk for the usage of their software. I have looked into other services such as Fiver. The $185 per month is the recurring fee for usage of Maya or 3Ds Max.

The time I have to dedicate to my personal project is minimal, so I would have even less time to give back to the community. If I was able to be more productive in general, I would feel more confident with participating in a Skype group or aligning myself with an artist as a coder / scripter.

I'll be keeping an eye for the announcement later, and once again appreciate the rapid response. = )

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 16, 07:47:28 AM »

All i ever hear is FBX support haha.

Merrie

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 16, 09:09:29 AM »

Hoping for a Hero Engine Christmas present :)