HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: No More Audio in my world  (Read 1728 times)

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
No More Audio in my world
« on: Mar 26, 16, 01:00:03 AM »

So I haven't noticed but for a while now the audio in my world has not been working, not even on the fantasy lowerlands.

I am fairly stumped as I have reviewed everything. I know it isnt just a single instance on my computer because my friends reinstall also does not play audio.

Is there something I could have broken that initiates the audio? I have tried through FX's and through the create menu. I know the FX audio used to work and I have not changed anything with that.

I know it is something unique to my world as well because the audio still works on the hjref.

any input is appreciated.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
Re: No More Audio in my world
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 16, 11:26:14 AM »

I have also noticed missing sound files that originally came with the E_ scripts. Anytime a fireball, a weapon strike or heal is used, the console shows missing sound files.

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 16, 08:02:02 PM »

That is different than my issue. My issue is simply everything seemed to be working but now it isnt.

Almost like HE updated a setting on the new installs or something and ever since I just havent noticed because it is usually muted when I code and now i can't find that setting.

I am really just baffled, everything worked before (a year ago) but now it just doesnt work even on a clean install? idk so confused.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 16, 09:33:05 PM »

Is this for 3D sound (nodes placed in space) or basic 2D sound?

Are you using the old style of DirectMusic Producer segments (.sgt), or FMOD files (.fev and .fsb)?  I believe only FMOD is supported now (though I could be wrong on that). You should be using the FMOD Studio Authoring Tool to export those files.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 16, 09:39:02 PM by FI-ScottZ »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 16, 08:41:16 PM »

I have tried 3d and 2d. I have not tried Fmod.

I was using .wav and .sgt files. Neither work now.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 16, 12:17:32 PM »

no issues on our end with Audio.   But as FI-Scott mentioned, you should use the banks created by Fmod studio for your audio.

IF you want to test a wave file, from create, select a .wav file that you DO NOT have currently loaded as an asset in your area.  Load that.

Now Create it.  Now in the properties panel, adjust the _audioPitch level using the slider.  you should hear your audio if the pitch is above 0.

0 pitch value is the same as muted. 

I dont work with .sgt so I cant tell you how those settings would work.

I work solely with .bank files now, but i did just test .wav and .mp3 to verify they still work when loaded/created as audio using the blade.

Aelinthali

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 16, 09:20:14 PM »

I'm having the same problem.  I think I found part of the issue; the console shows and error loading (for example) amb_bird_robin_loop.mp3  so I went into CREATE->AUDIO->LOAD AUDIO... and dove into the directory only to find there are NO *.mp3 files they had all been changed to *.sgt files!  Of course this means they won't load.  I am currently trying to find a way to fix this...

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 16, 10:22:54 PM »

This was changed last year, although i do not currently recall which update..

create/audio/load asset only supports bank files created by the New FMOD Studio which can be downloaded from here
http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/FMOD_Studio

Audio Clip HeroScript External Functions

All HeroScript external functions for playing audio clips have been updated to work with FMOD Studio. Please be aware of this if you have been using FMOD Ex projects, as this could could cause a conflict due to the usage of both systems.

Other Audio Formats

If you are interested in support for additional audio formats, please review the FMOD Studio documentation, and contact mailto://support@heroengine.com .

Porting from DirectMusic to FMOD Studio

In order to facilitate porting from an older DirectMusic system to FMOD Studio, MP3 format audio files are used.

When a DirectMusic “.sgt” file is requested, the file request is processed in order to load any existing spec properties, and then an MP3 format version of the file is requested using the existing fully qualified directory path name. This allows an easy transition away from DirectMusic by eliminating the need for any data changes besides the bulk file conversion outside the client itself.

There are a few DirectMusic-specific properties that are not supported as part of this legacy transition as they do not map to MP3 file properties: CutoffDistance (we use max distance and rolloff attenuation), StartOffset, FadeInLength, FadeOutLength, and CleanUpOnEnd. However, these should not matter, especially during a transition.

As DirectMusic audio clips used non-standard distance and range attenuation, any clip with a maximum distance of more than 20 units is divided by 10 to bring it down into a reasonable and correct range.

Also, since looping a DirectMusic audio clip was embedded in the DirectMusic segment instead of set as a property, we arbitrarily decide to loop legacy ambient files - those in a path with "ambient" in the name, or that have the "amb_" string somewhere in their filename.

DirectMusic audio files that relied on dynamic music or embedded volume (which overrode client spec properties) may not play correctly. However, we have encountered very few files which used these features.

Batch conversion of DirectMusic .sgt files to WAV format files can be handled using [| sgt2wav]. Once converted to WAV, files can then be batch converted to mp3 format using any number of available applications such as [| LameXP]

YOu also might want to note this thread i made regarding it :

https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,5886.msg33249.html#msg33249

Hope that helps

Edit: a quick test shows trying to play an mp3 from script results in an error , as indicated in the quote above,
There are a few DirectMusic-specific properties that are not supported as part of this legacy transition as they do not map to MP3 file properties: CutoffDistance (we use max distance and rolloff attenuation), StartOffset, FadeInLength, FadeOutLength, and CleanUpOnEnd. However, these should not matter, especially during a transition.
i get an error regarding CutoffDistance.

I would recommend using the .bank files from FMOD Studio, its easy to setup and easy to use, and will make use of most of the standard audio formats including .ogg.
« Last Edit: May 01, 16, 10:39:28 PM by ToY-Krun »