HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Join Us In Creating Our Game: Formations  (Read 1954 times)

MichaelPaton

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Join Us In Creating Our Game: Formations
« on: Aug 08, 11, 01:20:58 AM »

TL;DR Please read everything! There are images after of our concept art!

Hello everyone! My name is Michael Paton. About a year and 9 months ago, I started assembling an indie game team. We went through our phases of attempting to build stuff, acquiring members, changing names, and coming up with ideas. Things went stagnant, became active, went stagnant again, etc. For the first year, we mostly focused on trying to get into an Xbox developers program. We since changed direction, and decided to do something different.

From this difference, spawned 'Formations', what I believe to be a game to revolutionize the industry. We are now active again, obviously, and finally with a HeroCloud license with 99 seats to put to use. Things were difficult, going through numerous engines trying to decide what could work for our ideas, but now things seem on the right path. This topic's goal is about getting those of you who'd like to join forces in creating our game to do so. Whether you already have a team, or are simply an individual looking to join one. Be you a high school student, or a working adult, if you have talent, and motivation, we want you. If you want to know just what you'd be creating, then read on.

The game [Formations] is meant to be the ultimate strategy shooter - combining RTS elements alongside MMO, to create an experience that not only allows casual players to become engulfed, but advanced players to rival opponents with skill and game know-how. Through 100 vs. 100 player battles, air + ground vehicles, jet packs and team bases, our goal is to revolutionize the shooter genre. Allowing real time updates with new content such as bug fixes and maps, the Hero Engine creates a perfect environment for instant-action gameplay.

With varying classes, and upgradability for seasoned players, different styles are not simply available, they're encouraged. Imagine a world where online mass battles are choreographed by each individual player and their decisions, coming together into a game where team-play is not only an enhancement, but a requirement players don't even realize they're making contributions to. We plan to encourage all aspects of team work. For example, an aiding teammate whose helping to repair a vehicle/character gets rewarded through a point system. This system can be used both for personal and team use. Whether this be upgrading the Fusion Core, heightening the speed of the human projectile cannon, or buying that shiny NEW gauss turret for their APC; each point elevates additional gameplay features to create a new experience worth living.

The real key to Formations is not simply the ways to kill opponents, but rather, the way a game starts from the get-go. Formations goal is to have a set of pre-determined base setups that work on all maps. These are voted upon by each team amidst the game transition screen. These options can determine a teams likelihood for domination or obliteration, and the need/advantage level of teamwork. More basic loadouts, but powerful vehicles? Sure. Less vehicles, more explosives? You got it. Amazing defences, less money to spend on goodies? Okay.

With Formations, it may be apparent that the base setup can determine a games outcome, depending on the forte of the combined team. This is why the voting system is implemented. Chat in between and during games on which setup you want. And, if you don't want one suggested, have the server choose at random. Each building present will decide upon what freedoms and tools you have available to you. Proximity to a resource field will determine how fast you have money to purchase addons/upgrades, (alongside your combat bonuses for teamwork), just like an RTS. With Formations plan for massive maps, player freedom, and continuous, realtime gameplay-enhancers, Hero Engine isn't just an engine we feel is fit for the development of our title, but rather, made for it.

This is just a taste of what we want to do with Formations. We've been planning the game for a while, and we want to make it a game that is Free to play, with miniature in-game purchases. We had looked at Hero Cloud seriously, but had not had the revenue to invest into the Engine in the past. With this new opportunity presented to us, we hope to make the most out of the Engine that we possibly can, and ensure that such a unique and hopeful game can be created and not left on the road to die.

I have attached a few images of concept art for Formations. We have many goals to have unique weapons, such as the deterrent gun (this gun doesn't kill players on its own, it shoots a beam that propels opponents backwards in the direction they are shot).

http://mikepaton.com/manos.jpg
http://mikepaton.com/manoscolor.jpg
http://mikepaton.com/howdoes.jpg
http://mikepaton.com/deterrent.jpg
http://mikepaton.com/deterrent-color.jpg

So as I said before, if you are an individual, OR a team who wants to join us, feel welcome to. You could either fire off an email to me: mike@mikepaton.com or you can reply to this topic (or both). We have some team members already, but it'd really be great to make this game the best it could be. In the fall it is possible I may be able to give some funds to the major team members. When it comes down to it, I want to create a game I know we would want to play, and therefore the gamer community too. I want to do something that hasn't been done, a mix-up, so we can't be called copiers like virtually every FPS currently out there. Oh, and there'd be a third person option for those who aren't major FPS fans. :P

This is just a taste of the game planned. More could be given to any people who join us! We want to at some point make a forum and take advice + ideas from the community, in essence making this a community-created game. If ideas from the community were used, the person who submitted the idea would get a thanks in the credits. :D

So, anyone interested?
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 11, 01:33:42 AM by MichaelPaton »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Join Us In Creating Our Game: Formations
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 11, 09:02:23 AM »

I'm thinking your design would be greatly benefited if you thought more about what type of guns your game had.  ;)

MichaelPaton

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 11, 02:17:42 PM »

I'm thinking your design would be greatly benefited if you thought more about what type of guns your game had.  ;)
Yeah we've been thinking a lot about that. The concept artist had just decided to make those sketches and all, but we plan on having a lot of different ones. The sketches isn't necessarily the style we're going for, however (the whole bullets vs plasma thing).

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 11, 02:54:19 PM »

I was totally shaking your monkey tree. Your gun investigation was decidedly "thorough". :-)

MichaelPaton

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 11, 07:37:47 AM »

I was totally shaking your monkey tree. Your gun investigation was decidedly "thorough". :-)
OH! Hahaha. :D Thanks!

RealityX

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Vaporware Studios
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 11, 08:17:04 AM »

Sound very interesting, do you all have a GDD yet?

Bear

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 11, 02:51:42 PM »

From the concept art, it looks like your game is going to be about a civilization of auto-mobile firearms.  You can be any race or class of gun you want to be, and if you level up you grow into a sniper rifle or chain gun.

(Actually, I'd play that....)

MichaelPaton

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 11, 04:33:34 AM »

Sound very interesting, do you all have a GDD yet?
Not a fully complete one, but it is being worked on. :)

The stuff that's not in there yet we still have in our collective heads, and just need to get it into the document so that it's all there. And thanks, you have any interesting in developing with us?

From the concept art, it looks like your game is going to be about a civilization of auto-mobile firearms.  You can be any race or class of gun you want to be, and if you level up you grow into a sniper rifle or chain gun.

(Actually, I'd play that....)
That's definitely one way of putting it, haha. :D I just want it to be a game where you have things like vehicles and weapons and bases, and not just a massive, same old deathmatch that every other multiplayer shooter out there is doing nowadays. Need to change things up a little every once in a while, stray away from the comfortable bubble that is the current state of the FPS genre.

And thanks for the feedback, good to hear somebody also thinks the game would be fun once made. Do you, by chance have any interest in developing with us too, or you just stopping by to comment? Either or is fine, just curious. :)
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 11, 04:38:08 AM by MichaelPaton »

Merries

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 11, 09:08:50 AM »

Very nice concept art, will be neat to see these turned into models. Good luck with your project.
Game Asset Artist | I am available for static art asset creation and world building, please message.

MichaelPaton

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 11, 04:57:22 PM »

Very nice concept art, will be neat to see these turned into models. Good luck with your project.
Thanks! I too think it'll be awesome to see these turned into models. Thanks for the kind words, good luck with your work as well! :)
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 11, 05:05:46 PM by MichaelPaton »