HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: How noob friendly is this ?  (Read 3359 times)

Rungsted

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
How noob friendly is this ?
« on: Apr 01, 16, 07:00:22 AM »

Hey i am very inclined to buy this, and i already got a few friends interrested too. But before i spend $300 i want to know how advanced this is :)

I am a quick learner but i'm more like a level designer/modding guy. And my project is not a complicated one at all.

More so does this ship with any assets free to use? I saw it was posible to use the scripts from the "Hero's journey" does this apply to its assets too?

And from reading around i saw 2 year old post about FBX files format soon becoming avalaible. Is it posible to import this at the time? Because i have like a 1000 models and it would take ages to convert them :)
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 16, 07:25:51 AM by Rungsted »

Ratchet_Dev

• General Accounts
  • Ummm... yes?
    • View Profile
    • Omnivoid Site
Re: How noob friendly is this ?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 16, 08:54:14 AM »

A few questions to you before we get into this.

What other engines have you used?

Are you willing to spend 3 - 5 years on a single project?

Does you or a team-mate know how to model, code and deal with networking?

To answer some of your questions
Direct X 11 is coming, not sure about FBX, you can join the Skype group and check with some of the Hero Staff members. There are no real free to use base-assets, a few simple textures and models but they fit a specific style. As with most MMO's it will take a while to make your game, there are Hero world owners who have been working on their projects for a good 4 to 5 years now.

Now for links
Blight Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/nocaked/profile
Raven Tutorials - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P75m2HRaufs
IF YOU NEED ANY HELP PLEASE PRIVATE MESSAGE ME!

Lead Programmer for OmniVoid & CEO of Shattered Studios.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 16, 09:30:06 AM »

It all really depends on your ability to code and think outside of the box.

It is all just about time. If you have the time you can master the engine, just like any other engine. You can make any type of game you want as long as you have a good idea of what you want to do and how you are going to achieve it.

HE handles all the tough stuff like networking. So you just have to know how to code and have someone that is adept at 3D modelling.

There is a good helpful community here, so if you do join, your questions are answered pretty quickly.

Rungsted

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 16, 10:35:44 AM »

Well to be honest i've only worked like a lot with Gameguru and MyRPG which runs on Torque3D. Then of course a little bit of Unity and UE4 but yes i'm a noob but i enjoy making games :)

And yes i wouldn't mind spending years if that's what it takes.

But no none of us knows that :/

Well a bit shame without any base assets i must say... But over the years i have bought around a thousand models so i think that could work out, just a bit sad that it's not posible to just import FBX.

I wish to create a moba but much more PvE based with dungeons/Instances and a single lane. (Third person) So you will have to gear up meanwhile being very aware of your opponents. Probably like 10 vs 10 matches :) Think of it as a mix of LoL and WoW.

But seeing that it was posible to use everything from Hero's jouney i was hoping that i could use a lot of the stuff from there so i basiaclly just had to design the world and do a few scripts myself :)

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 16, 11:40:47 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forums!
    It sounds like you have a good start with world building. And the willingness to learn along the way is a very good sign!

FBX is not possible at this time, but it is something on our list for the future. However, the plugins we have for Maya and Max make exporting and bringing into the engine quite easy. Since you are still in the process of learning, there are the student versions of both that are available for free for non commercial/learning usage.

However, if you do plan on releasing your game to the public, even as a beta, you will have to have a full copy of Max or Maya before hand. But for learning purposes, the student version is fine.

It sounds like you have a lot already. Making most of your assets to work with HeroEngine should not take much time at all. Once you have the plugins installed, it is a simple open, make sure your textures are present and all in the correct directories and export. (Remember, you do have to have the same directory structure for both your models and your assets on your local drive as you have set up in the engine.)

There are several HJ assets that are available as well as a fairly large set of "white boxes" to allow you to build out areas and plan things along. Then you can replace them with other assets as you progress your development. You will want to eventually so you can fit the look and feel of the world to your game.

HJ and our other reference worlds do have a lot of scripts that you can use as good starting point. Some of them are quite advanced and should give you a good base and idea on how to progress to the next step. The community here is quite active and most are willing to help out and answer any questions you might have during your learning/development time.

I hope this helped answer a few of your questions and concerns. If you have any more please feel free to ask. We are always willing to help out where we can.

Sarrene'

Rungsted

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 16, 12:14:03 PM »

Thanks a lot for the replies!

Btw if i buy the cloud subscription for $150 and find out more people want to join can i then upgrade it to the 10 people one for 150 or will i need to pay $300 ?

And do you guys think it would be posible to make a game as the one i described without too much experience ? My intentions with the game is to be on par with the good old custom games you would play with your friends at a LAN :)

And btw i gotta say it's really awesome with the realtime working by several users ^^ 

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 16, 09:37:51 PM »

Hello and good evening,
    If you chose to upgrade, you just pay the difference, no more. :) It would not be fair of us to charge full price for an upgrade to the same world, so no worries there. And you can upgrade any time.

I think it is possible to make almost any type of game. A lot depends on your determination and dedication really. Beyond that, anything is possible I am sure others here will post up a bit. We have many that have come quite far. Some started with no development background, no programming skills.. and a few of those are either in beta now or prepping for beta. :)

but I will let some of the other devs respond if they like about their experiences.  Good luck!

Sarrene'

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 16, 03:11:04 AM »

You are absolutely able to make the game you are talking about. You could even do it with 1-2 knowledgeable programmers and small team of artists.

This is a very powerful tool for community collaboration. You will enjoy making a game with friends because of this as well. Being able to change something and then instantly test it in the world with out having rebuild or relog is so much fun.