HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Questions Regarding Hero Engine  (Read 4251 times)

Ignatios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Questions Regarding Hero Engine
« on: Apr 11, 16, 03:43:45 PM »

Hello everyone, I have just a few questions regarding this engine that I seem to not be able to find a clear and concise answer to.

1): Character creation screen: Is this automatically inclusive in the game upon purchase or is it a plugin of sorts? Meaning, do I have to custom code and graphically create this menu screen? Do I also have the ability to customize races, appearances, and the selection of classes in this menu? Or would any of this require some coding and graphic creation on my end?

2): I noticed that when looking to purchase Hero Engine there are some different options I can select from in regards to the payment plan. I see there are options for 1 user, 2 users, so on and so forth...Now, is that developmental users? Or users able to access my game when completed and actually play this game? How am I able to staff developers and Game Masters?

3): Model and Region creation....I see that some of the requirements are 3DS MAX or Maya, my question is, are these required to make all of my areas, weapons, armors, characters, etc? Or is there some type of built-in interface that allows me to achieve my goals without completely using these two platforms? Is there already inclusive models?

4): Account creation: How does a user make an account to be able to join and play my game? Obviously a player isn't going to have an account of Hero Engine necessarily, but do I need my own website to achieve this? Is there a plugin built in? What are the exact details for this?

5): Abilities...I do not understand how spells are necessarily created...From their animations to their icon, to how they are used and different core mechanics that go into an ability...

I am really interested in learning this program and using it to make an MMO, however I am a little confused at what is really inclusive and what I need to learn and code on my own. My knowledge is limited to RPG Maker (ACE-MV), GameGuru, AGK(App Game Kit).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: Questions Regarding Hero Engine
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 16, 06:53:32 PM »

You can use any 3D modeling program to make assets, but you will need either Max or Maya to import them into the engine. An FBX import option is being worked on, but there's no date yet for when it'll be available.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 16, 10:43:24 PM »

The character creation screen is something that you design, how it looks (the artwork), how it works (the coding for making things happen - scripting) using buttons, pull down menus, and text box for Name and bio. It can be a simple 2d picture with buttons and menus on it, or a full 3d landscape where you click on objects in the scene. Races, classes, appearances, are all made by your group, coding and artists. The current art work in game is there as an example.

When it comes time to add in players, the game should really be near finished about alpha or beta stage. Though if its someone there in the same room as you, they could check things out through your personal account. So, when thinking about the amount of users, its the amount of people you want in there working on the game with you. Players would be more of just seeing things until its more of an actual game they can play. The group leader is able to set which parts the workers/users in the engine have access to, things like art section and coding.

Abilities represent something the character can do. For example a character could cast a spell like "fireball" (1 of the examples in game). It could be something like picking up another object, using maybe Strength. It could also be using a jetpack.

Knowledge of C++ and/or java can be useful, though the coding is done through use of HSL script. There are tutorials on this here .
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

Ignatios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 16, 05:51:22 AM »

Alright, so I need to learn either 3DS or MAYA, any recommendation for a first time 3d modeler user? Also, are there at least some assets already included that I can use as a placeholder for some basic areas? Also, HSL..Is this language pretty easy to learn? Can I learn it in say, maybe a few months or weeks? I learned Java a little bit but forgot most of it, I learned AGK in a few weeks...I guess what I am asking is what Tier of language is HSL. For abilities, is it also coded? How are the animations done for the abilities?

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 16, 06:18:32 AM »

1- You get a basic character creation screen and area. This allows you to make a character using the base model that comes with HE so you can explore your world. You then customise this to your own needs and art etc.

2 - Those are developer seats. Or you can set up an account for anyone if you want a couple of friends to come in and test your game. Example you have 25 seats, this basically means you can set up 25 accounts for access to your world. General public player access is something that is handled later once you are in the prime development stage and need to actually be able to let people make accounts themselves.

3 - The default models included are of old fantasy design and wouldnt be used in your game as it is far better to make your own assets. You can buy assets from various places to use in your game as long as you have the correct licence permissions for any assets you buy.

HE also has world building and shaping tools that let you build terrain like hills, rivers, mountains etc etc.

4 - For developers, you will make their accounts. Later on when you need players to make their own accounts, it will be handled via  website integrated API etc as most games.

5 - HE does come with a base skill system, but it is rather generic and not suited for most tasks unless heavily extended. It is much better to create your own from scratch either using scripts etc or using the integrated SPEC system (basically a system to easily create and handle lists of information).

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 16, 12:40:52 PM »

Hello and good afternoon. Welcome to the site Ignatios!

I see that some of the community has beaten me to the answers, but lets see if i can help extend upon them a bit more for you. Warning- a wee bit long!

1) Character Creation Screen: You do have a very basic one to start. However it is basic so that you can customize it any way you want. I have seen some very original and great Character Selection screens from many developers. How you want to set it up, what info you want- it is all up to you!

2) HeroEngine Seats: This, as was stated, is per developer. However, you can add additional people to your world as Developers, QA, Testers, etc. The more seats you have the more people you can bring on board. We do provide you up front with a Generic Client that your testers can download and install any time you have a vertical slice (my recommendation, but you can add testers any time).

Once you are in a testing phase, you can reach out to us and request Alpha/Beta and we can extend your number of seats. However, that is done via email or call, not on the forums themselves. (most teams like to keep that information private anyways for early testing).

3) Models and Region Creation: This is actually a two part-er.
Models: You can create almost anything you can imagine, or import anything you like for your game. However, as pointed out, you will need Maya or Max to do so. Please note that Maya LT is not supported due to how they are handling plugins.

Though all models are created using a 3d programme like 3ds max or Maya, there is a nice but basic interface that allows you to set up weapons system, armour, etc. Though most teams once they learn how it can be done, end up creating their own systems, expanding upon what is in HE currently.
Please explain a bit more what you mean by "Inclusive models" please?

Region Creation: We actually have a very easy to learn and intuitive Area system that will help you set up regions, and a really easy to use Heightmap/Terrain system. You can even import terrain from other programmes, but that is a bit more technical to go into than I think most want to read here. Once oyu have your areas, you can chose to connect them in different ways, Open world using the Seamless2.0, semi open world using Seamless 1.0 (s curves, or the likes), or via portals. You really have a lot of options and tools to make your game what you want.

4) Account Creation/Game accounts: Once you are ready and in a public Alpha or Beta phase, we will work with you to see how you want to do this.  Users will have a Hero account, but it will not be related to HeroEngine or HeroCloud directly. Most typical is using a Product Key system where they download your game client, input their key and register there for your game. We can work with you on alternate ways to distribute the game, but the most easy is directly through our system. But again, with very high customization and what you want to put into it.

There are no exact details for this, as each HeroEngine client has their own needs and wants. However, the easiest is going through Hero Games. Especially for Alpha/Beta.

5) Abilities: As Prometheus pointed out, we do have a very basic system. However, you are able to combine almost any element you want to build your own system. It does take a bit of work and has a wee bit of learning curve. However, once you get the hang of it, it becomes really powerful.

OVERALL:
Over all, I will be honest and say it is not a game builder. It is better! HeroEngine is a game engine, which means a lot more work, but also allows you to make what ever you can imagine and willing to put the work into. So though some elements may be similar to RPG Maker or others, it is more complex and much much more customizable.

I have seen some wonderful modders from other game communities come in and after a bit of time come up with some amazing things. I have also seen some whom had no scripting or programming or game development experience become some of our best helpers and amazing designers/developers.

With you having some basic experience already, I think once you get past the learning curve, you will be amazed at what you can do. The community here is great! We offer a few options to help new people get over that hump and start making some great things.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Myself or others are sure to answer! Again, Welcome to HeroEngine!

- Sarrene'

Ignatios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 16, 03:20:55 PM »

Wow, thank you everyone that has already responded as the information provided has been extremely helpful.

Hello and good afternoon. Welcome to the site Ignatios!

Please explain a bit more what you mean by "Inclusive models" please?

- Sarrene'

What I mean by this, is if there are models already in the game that I can temporarily use as enemies, npcs, playable characters, etc...Which this has already been answered to me as far as creating your initial character on log in.

My knowledge of a 3d modeler is very very very limited as the only games I have ever created or worked on have been 2D...Which system is best for someone of my skill level; maya or max?

You state that you provide a generic client that I can allow testers...Now, say I have maybe 4 friends who I have test my games in their prototype phases, do I need to pay for their seats as developer seats to allow them on? Or can I create a basic account that allows player allowed controls(as a normal player would see if playing the game if it were finished)?

Now, I understand there is a terrain editing tool with heightmaps and etc and I can join these areas using a seamless2.0 to create that open world aspect that WoW has, or ESO, or many other games, however, textures. Are there textures that would be required for making these terrains included as well? Grass, mountains, trees, wood, stone, etc all of those basic components utilized in creating an immersive environment; or will I have to make my own textures?

This is a side question that goes in part with textures, but textures for my 3d models that I create using maya or max, how would I apply those textures to them? I imagine it wouldn't be inclusive in Hero Engine, but rather compiled or purchased from somewhere else? Perhaps somebody could provide a little more insight.

Also, I imagine my self utilizing HSL for every aspect of the game; that being said, what tier of language is it? Is it as difficult as c++? Or, will I be able to learn it easily similar to a language like Java?

I have searched around for some guides on maybe creating boss fight mechanics via scripting HSL, I did not find any..This goes into my ability to create these, creating quests or missions, creating achievements, creating all of those little nice things..Are those achievable using HSL?

I understand my questions and thoughts may seem all over the place, I am just gathering some information as I plan to buy this engine with multiple seats in the next day or two and am trying to gather all the information I can from everywhere so all help is vastly appreciated!!

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 16, 03:40:57 PM »

HSL can take some time getting used to, and it is very powerful in what it can do. I started with Basic programming back in 1970s, in high school and moved to Assembly in college in 1980s. I also took a few other languages, which made it a little easier for me to start in with HSL, even though I am still learning some of the concepts. I would compare it mostly with C++, as the main engine runs using that. It flows kind of easy with the script.

There are some scripting tutorials here that show how HSL works, and there are some tutorials made by other devs (from the games being made), to show as how something might be done.

The Spec system will help in creating quests or missions, creating achievements, as they have some nice tutorials on those also.
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 16, 03:55:56 PM »

Hello again,
    Yes, there area few assets that can be used as placeholders. There is the default character, some npc's, environment art, even some buildings. We also have a nice "white box" set in as well for prototyping and white boxing an area or ten out.

For modeling, I personally prefer Max. But I am more environment and primitive modeling. Maya is really good with their tools for characters and animations. Though Max can handle and do that as well.

It is really up to the artist and what their main focus is at. Since I do mostly environment (rocks,plants, trees, clutter items) and architecture, my preference is Max. I also prefer Max's UV Mapping tools over all.
    However, get the thoughts of others as well. And try out the student versions of each and find the one you like the most. Each person may have their own preference based on what they first learned on however.

For world building, there are some basic assets already included. Terrain uses dds diffuse and normal maps, as does most assets. You can add in what ever you like to "paint" the terrain to get it how you want it to look with your own special flare or vision of your world.

We do have some basic dynamic detail included as well- grass, rocks, etc. The same with trees. We do have a few default trees in the engine so you can play around with.
    With your subscription for HE, you also gain access to SpeedTree tools as well, so you can even create your own trees!

For the models, you apply the textures in Maya or Max to your models. We provide easy to use plugins for both that help optimize them for in engine. It is required to get the DDS plugin tool for Maxa/Max and photoshop, that is free as well.

HSL is not too difficult really. It is different though so there is a bit of a learning curve. HSL has its roots in C++ and C#, however we have had many many people come on that have never programmed before and pick it up by going through the tutorials and the Reference worlds. Then there are some that are experienced that do not like it.
    I find myself in the middle honestly. It is easy to pick up but it is a scripting language and not a programme language.
    However, along with the tutorials and the Reference worlds that are included (HJ Ref, Space Ref, Social Ref, FPS Ref) we also have a great community that has impressed me with their knowledge and helpfulness.

Most aspects are done via HSL for core systems. However, they do not have to remain that way. You can create tools for your developers to use that are mostly visual. We have one client that is a pro at making those and many different types. It does take some work, but it is not difficult no matter which route you wish to take.

Regarding the seats, until you reach a working vertical slice, it is recommended to add testers or even friends via added seats. It is a bit in cost, but we do not double bill you if you choose to add more later on. You just pay the difference. Once you do go to an open/public alpha/beta then that changes and those do not cost you.
    A working vertical slice means that a player can log into the client and begin to interact with the world. Generally most developers consider this to be when most base systems are in.

You can chose to go to an open alpha/beta any time you like, however, we do ask that is handled back end off the forums. Every person, every game and every team has their own needs and requirements- so we try to keep that as customizable as possible. 99% of our clients do prefer to have the confidentiality, so we ask everyone to contact us via email so we can move forward with your needs. We work with you to help you be as successful as possible. However, in the end the choice is yours- it is your game.

The most common subscription I see is between 10 and 25. However, the choice is up to you on what you think you will want to have to start. Remember, you can upgrade any time. I hope this answered both of your questions?

No worries about the questions. I think these are good ones! And ones that both experienced and new developers-to-be should be asking.

Ignatios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 16, 04:47:25 PM »

Thank you, I believe that is all my questions for now. I will begin learning HSL and playing around on any available resources I can find once I am connected...Will be buying it as soon as I get paid here in the next day or so. :D Thank you everyone for all of your information! It was incredibly helpful and made me feel incredibly better about delving into this program.