HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Importing repository/characters/models  (Read 2372 times)

Ignatios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Importing repository/characters/models
« on: Apr 14, 16, 02:32:40 PM »

I am having an issue using the repository and the wiki seems to be a little confusing...

I am having a great deal of trouble importing the character Sunok..I downloaded the repository and what not, and have yet to implement the art pipelines as well...Basically, the whole method of importing models and what not is very confusing to me. Anyone have any advice or able to help?

Ignatios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Importing repository/characters/models
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 16, 05:33:38 PM »

So, since I have several questions that I seem to have trouble with comprehending I will just use this thread to post my questions so I am not making a million threads, haha....

I just learned how the whole seamless linking of areas work..awesome...now, this leads me to my next question of regions.
So, you know how in a game, (we'll use WoW as an example) how you would enter Stormwind and it would say Stormwind...Well, how do I do that? Is it already coded to where I can easily change this? Or do I have to code this on my own by arbitrarily assigning region ID's and making a thing called region, etc?

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 16, 09:19:31 PM »

to display a name, you would for example on the client side, in the E_BaseClient script (for one place) in the method which is run on area change, add an animated or "floating" text with the name of your area, or room... or .. whatever you want.. this can also be used to bring up text when entering a trigger as well.

Also a note, "regions" in HE are not what one might think, they are by default, a region of space inside an which is designated by drawing a region of heightmaps.   Where some might consider a region , a group of areas etc.

ask away, and dont get discouraged.

in fact, here is the exact method I use for the same thing:

E_BaseClientClassMethods script on the client side:

method HE_Area_load( areaID as ID, instanceID as ID, areaName as String ) as Boolean

this is called when the area has loaded on the client. from here you could call text to appear.

in script editor do a search for floating text for examples.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 16, 09:22:47 PM by ToY-Krun »

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 16, 05:12:08 PM »

actually i misled you ...

To trigger a floating text when crossing seamless area boundaries, the way to go would be to call the client from
the following method in the E_AreaClassMEthods script on the SERVER:

method _RootNodesEnteredAreaSeamlessly( theNodes as List of NodeRef, sourceArea as ID, sourceInstance as ID)

foreach n in theNodes
    $CHAT.ChatArea( "Area", n + " Has Entered The Area")
    where n is kindof E_PlayerAccount
       call client n ScriptName:RemoteFunctionName(areaName as string)

RemoteFunctionName above would be a remote function which would create a floating text using
the areaName passed in.  Search the Client side scripts for FloatingText for examples on how to do that.