HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Overwhelming?  (Read 1267 times)

Ignatios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Overwhelming?
« on: Apr 14, 16, 09:05:31 PM »

A lot of the capabilities with Hero Engine seem exceedingly overwhelming. I searched everywhere for a play-through guide of making a game using simple mechanics of the engine...I am a visual hands-on learner and there seems to be very little to zero guides for the majority of using Hero Engine...Struggling with importing character models/data, trouble with figuring out how zones work, the true capabilities of HSL, how to approach creating a seamless world of an MMO, aside from just linking areas as well as importing data in general...how to make a custom character creation screen....

Is there any videos out there that people may know about where I can learn step by step on how to use each function in detail of Hero Engine or am I going to spend a year just trying to figure things out and decipher it?

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
Re: Overwhelming?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 16, 09:50:49 PM »

Many here have also spent a good deal of time learning what the engine can do. I have also added a few plug and play type tutorials. Here is a list, as they are mixed among other good tutorials.

I am still learning as there are many parts to making a game, and being an MMO it is the biggest type of game with many more parts than a single player or simple multiplayer (on same comp). The Wiki is filled with pages made by many devs that have spent time working on different aspects of the game. Some of them have made videos. Scan through the Hero Engine dev posts. Some on World building. Some on Art.

Ignatios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 16, 08:01:37 PM »

I saw these tutorials...the issue is they aren't very beginner friendly...I don't know the differences barely of client and server side...I don't know where to locate everything necessary to make a new script, etc, would you happen to know of any videos?

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 16, 12:56:37 AM »

Here is the tutorial I started with, it might be a little more user friendly. It has more details in it of how to.

Ratchet_Dev

• General Accounts
  • Ummm... yes?
    • View Profile
    • Omnivoid Site
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 16, 01:31:20 AM »

Ignatios I completely understand where your coming from, Hero's... everything? confuses the hell out of you for a while and no one but Raven has done a video tutorial. I recommend if you haven't yet, sit down and go through the wiki (it needs an update) and read up on client<>server networking and the DOM and GOM and all of that.

I think the best place to read up about Client and Server is, and as ridiculous as this may sound, the Unreal 4 Docs and forums. I got a much better understanding of how to use Client <> server with Unreal 4 than anything else, certainly helped with understanding why things in Hero are set to do what they do.
IF YOU NEED ANY HELP PLEASE PRIVATE MESSAGE ME!

Lead Programmer for OmniVoid & CEO of Shattered Studios.