HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DOM error  (Read 7139 times)

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
DOM error
« on: May 02, 16, 11:36:05 AM »

Adding a field to a class I got an error: when I hit the Save button.

"Bad DOM Command - can't describe  %I, %I"
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
Re: DOM error
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 16, 07:10:28 PM »

Hey Thaz,  I added an existing field, to a class, tabbed 3 times, clicked save, and it added it okay.

what steps are you using when adding field.. ive a hunch it might be due to a glitch that came along in earlier patches where if you type out the full name of a field, and not select it from the drop down box, it can cause an error.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 16, 12:09:19 PM »

This happens when I use the gui DOM editor, rather than the command line feature. The CLI works good, but at times it can be more organized for me to use the DOM editor.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 16, 03:29:18 PM »

Okay i've not noticed this happening when adding fields, however it does happen when adding a parent class via the DoM Editor.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 16, 03:45:46 PM »

Added this to the bug list to be looked into Thaz.

Thanks for posting it, I hadn't even used the new DoM other than check out the speed
at which it loads now :)

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 16, 05:11:51 PM »

This error seems to be sporadic...

I was able to finally add a parent class after refreshing.
Then went to remove it to test again, and same error on trying to remove it.
so, still no specific repro, but working on it.

you might try refreshing and see if that allows you to add fields/classes.
possibly cancel a time or two as well if that doesnt work.

once a definite repro is established we can pass that on.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 16, 05:19:06 PM »

Thaz, to clarify, you are getting this error when adding a field?  or when adding  a parent class?

for the class, i found a repro, you can add the class, click save, get error, then double click the class name in the parent list, and it will add AND save it right then.   Not sure how you might accomplish that for a field since clicking it would take you to the fields list.

Still working on it.  If you are having issues with adding Fields, lets see if we can get a definite repro as we may be doing it two different ways.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 16, 10:26:51 PM »

It was when adding a field to class. Perhaps it was a newly made field?

Does not seem to happen "all the time" anymore. Though now, when I am typing in the name of the field in the dropdown list, and select it using enter key, it will disappear leaving nothing there.

HSL Video tutorials:

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 16, 10:30:52 PM »

hrm yeah i think that is carried over from a previous issue.. worth mentioning separately though, so its known that its still around.

If you type in the full name, or simply not select it from the drop down, it doesnt populate the info for the field.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 16, 12:10:24 AM »

update:

This error happens when I try to add a field that was already in the DOM (to a class), example SpecKey add to class tmp_buff creates the error.

When I make any of the fields, it does not happen. Example tmp_speckey add to class tmp_buff does not give the error.
HSL Video tutorials:

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 16, 05:52:20 PM »

ive noticed this error on several occasions for no apparent reason... both when adding parent classes, fields, or simply saving a class after removing a field. usually, clicking cancel (on the class) then trying again works.  it might be a case of the dom not getting or receiving updates (or delayed updates), or the list not refreshing quickly.
Its still in the to be looked at list.

Mr_Conflicts

• General Accounts
  • HSL Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Daniel J. Burkhart
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 16, 01:16:50 PM »

This error is very aggravating! I tried adding a field to a class and every time I tried to add the field it spat out the error "Bad DOM Command - can't describe %I %I". I just wanted to post about this to show that this is not an isolated occurrence.

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 16, 04:39:05 PM »

Can you give a specific example of the steps you go through that cause this error?  Please include whether or what keyboard, mouse, or other input

Cheers

herb marselas
graphics guy

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 16, 04:41:33 PM »

Herb, for myself, when I get the error its after creating a new class, new fields, and attempt to add those fields to the new class.  Once, it happened when trying to add a parent class to a new class.  It seems like its an issue of the DoM not getting refreshed sometimes or something.  If i click through the tabs (enum/fields/class/ etc) refreshing them, and then go back and try, it usually works then.

Mr_Conflicts

• General Accounts
  • HSL Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Daniel J. Burkhart
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 16, 07:11:04 PM »

Can you give a specific example of the steps you go through that cause this error?  Please include whether or what keyboard, mouse, or other input

Cheers

Here are the steps I took to get this error:

• I created a new id field (guildID)
  • I then went to add it to a existing class (Combatant)
  • Then I clicked save and the error appeared and prevented the DOM from saving the update to the class  (Combatant).

I will say that Krun is correct and that either exiting the application or refreshing the DOM seems to fix the problem. I would also like to point out that it can happen when trying to add fields to any class new or old as the class (Combatant) is an older class that Krun created a while back.

Hopefully this will help you solve this bug, thanks Herb!
Pages: [1] 2