HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ok I had to share this!  (Read 4526 times)

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Ok I had to share this!
« on: Aug 10, 11, 12:50:26 AM »

So ya, I am 34 years old... with 2 younger sisters who both have been to college and are both teachers and all I have had to show is certifications from technology schools. However, that just changed! Today I was accepted into Full Sail University for my Bachelors in Game Art Design. So while I am working on the game project, I am furthering my knowledge through school :)  ... Like I said, just wanted to share the acceptance news!

Unorthaparadox

• General Accounts
  • TIM Nutfair
    • View Profile
Re: Ok I had to share this!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 11, 08:46:40 AM »

Congratulations, man!

As soon as I get a GED I'll be right behind you! Lmao!
TIM Nutfair Studios

Embrace the movement
Special thanks to Max Duncan for the great artwork.

Bear

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 11, 08:52:13 AM »

So ya, I am 34 years old... with 2 younger sisters who both have been to college and are both teachers and all I have had to show is certifications from technology schools. However, that just changed! Today I was accepted into Full Sail University for my Bachelors in Game Art Design. So while I am working on the game project, I am furthering my knowledge through school :)  ... Like I said, just wanted to share the acceptance news!

Grats.  Full Sail sounds like a lot of actual fun while you're getting your learn on. :o

Merries

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 11, 09:04:21 AM »

Thats fantastic, the school is well recommended, hard I hear but worth it!
Game Asset Artist | I am available for static art asset creation and world building, please message.

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Aerendel-GDD @ Wordpress
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 11, 09:59:52 AM »

Hey, cool! & if the U.S. gets too crazy there are a bunch of colleges/universities up here with game design courses/curriculae Vancouver and Torranna (You prob'ly know it as Toronto)  Montreal, and even Ottawa are hot spots.

~~~~~Jim (U.S. born Expatriate)
Head Tyrant In Charge of the Aerendel Project  ((http://aerendelgdd.wordpress.com/)) (mailto:shantivarta.dreamcat@gmail.com)  Egalitarian Partner in TaleRocker~DreamCat Creations Ltd. (Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth... Don't know the parellel universe designation...)

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 11, 12:06:41 PM »

Thanks for the comments. I'm pretty excited about this. Full Sail and I have been talking on and off for awhile now and I finally took the steps to do something about it.

And about the whole canada thing, I'm pretty much as close to canada as I'm gonna get lol. I can see Victoria from the house!

WoE-Byron

• World Owner
  • WoE Online Project Manager
    • View Profile
    • Carbon Studios
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 11, 12:22:16 PM »

We also have some really good colleges and universities here in Calgary & Edmonton Alberta, Canada.

NAIT ( http://www.nait.ca/ )
SAIT ( http://www.sait.ca/ )
UofC ( http://www.ucalgary.ca/ )
UofA ( http://www.ualberta.ca/ )

whyroc

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 11, 12:45:35 PM »

That sounds fun Big Dog,

I've been looking around for some time for a good course in the Toronto Area. I have inquired at several I found but they seem to be graduate programs designed for kids coming out of school rather than us old-folks hobbyists turned semi-pros. (they are not cheap either!!!)

Ideally I would be interested a continuing education style course on 3ds max or general game design, if anyone maybe has heard of such a course available I would be really happy if you could forward me the info.

thanks!

-w

smassa

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Evolve
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 11, 01:01:23 PM »

I'm an alumni! Its a great school! Congratulations and enjoy man!

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 11, 01:02:39 PM »

Ideally I would be interested a continuing education style course on 3ds max or general game design, if anyone maybe has heard of such a course available I would be really happy if you could forward me the info.

This is what I am talking about. Let me explain what full sail has to offer:

They are an accredited college therefore government grants work. They offer a lot of courses online, such as the game art one I am taking. When you get approved, you will recieve: A new laptop, Tablet PC, some other hardware including a scanner, and the full suite of Autodesk tools including max and maya.

The people have been really great in helping me get started and I am actually looking forward to school for the first time in my life lol.

RealityX

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Vaporware Studios
« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 11, 01:20:07 PM »

Very cool man!

Be prepared to work your fingers to the bone. I looked into DigiPen (full sail's competition on the west coast) and the amount of work the instructors put their students through is crazy. Its all worth it at the end though.

Have fun and good luck!

Jim_Wellington

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Aerendel-GDD @ Wordpress
« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 11, 04:50:12 PM »

Whyroc,

Algonquin College in the Ottawa Area might be cheaper? & I think I remember a couple matchbook cover schools with dedicated programs. (see if I can get my lead artist to answer...) (She's taking a corespondence/through the net program from Athabaska (sp?) out west...)

Yay--- keep on learnin ("when the student is ready the teacher appears"?)

-----Jim
Head Tyrant In Charge of the Aerendel Project  ((http://aerendelgdd.wordpress.com/)) (mailto:shantivarta.dreamcat@gmail.com)  Egalitarian Partner in TaleRocker~DreamCat Creations Ltd. (Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth... Don't know the parellel universe designation...)

whyroc

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 11, 06:04:28 PM »

Thanks guys, I did look at Algonquin already and it seemed interesting...  also one at Trios college in that was pricey but looked very complete. 

-w

Merries

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 11, 10:23:45 AM »

That sounds fun Big Dog,

I've been looking around for some time for a good course in the Toronto Area. I have inquired at several I found but they seem to be graduate programs designed for kids coming out of school rather than us old-folks hobbyists turned semi-pros. (they are not cheap either!!!)

thanks!

-w

I got my education for 3ds Max, Maya from 3DTi Institute online: http://www.3dtraining.com/
I recommend them!

Merrie S
Game Asset Artist | I am available for static art asset creation and world building, please message.

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 12, 11, 12:06:06 PM »

I agree with Merries, I went through a 3DTI seminar and they are a pretty good institution too!
Pages: [1] 2