HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: CAT Rig Joint Limits problem  (Read 2040 times)

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
CAT Rig Joint Limits problem
« on: Feb 07, 16, 10:21:03 PM »

I was setting up joint limits in 3DS Max 2016 on a CAT rig. Instead of working as expected, it simply locks the joints in place, or rotates then in the wrong direction. Apparently this has been a bug with this system since 2010. Does anyone know of an easy workaround?

Below is the original thread, and this is still a problem. I have found a post as new as 3 weeks ago with the exact same issues.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-cat/bug-error-on-joint-limits-rotation-at-cat-3-3-and-later/td-p/4159759

Edit: I am seriously thinking about going back to using Biped at this point. I don't see how else to do proper animations if I can't even prevent the knee from rotating sideways on the CAT rig. While I can lock the rotation when using FK, it doesn't work when using IK, and IK is much better for animating when it comes to keeping the feet on the ground and such.

Anyone have any suggestions?
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 16, 10:42:35 PM by Amarak »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: CAT Rig Joint Limits problem
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 16, 10:58:31 AM »

Unfortunately, I haven't really worked with the CAT rig much at all.  I thought there was another thread on here where someone had the same issue...  Hmmm...

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 16, 12:18:54 PM »

That's fine, I learned biped in college and am comfortable with it. I was just making the attempt to use CAT because of the different animation tools. If you look at the posts in this forum, I have posted at least 3 times about problems with the CAT rig, and have finally decided it may be for the best to stick with biped for this project. 🎭

My only real concern with biped is that Autodesk is no longer really supporting it from what I have read. Thanks for the reply!

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 16, 10:06:32 PM »

My only real concern with biped is that Autodesk is no longer really supporting it from what I have read. Thanks for the reply!

its possible... but with AutoDesks launch of the Character Generator in the cloud, I'd guess they'll continue supporting it to a degree.  Granted, there is no guarantee, and I'm not sure how successful the generator has been/will be.  I've used it a great deal for "mean" models.

Haven't worked with CAT's at all.