HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Terrain Tool Error - Action effects everything [solved]  (Read 3033 times)

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO

There is an error that occurs when using the terrain tool for any of the terrain brushes.
It has to do with the mouse detection and what the brush shows its going to alter.

It would appear that sometimes the cursor and precursor brush go off screen and suddenly your action is applied to the entire world. It can be extremely easy to miss but when it happens it can have dire consequences on your world.  I am not entirely sure even when this event is occurring but it seems to be happening A LOT more when I am doing broad world changes rather than small ones.

It is extremely obvious when paint terrain however it is extremely easy to miss when using the "push/pull" tool or other tools until you have dropped your player into the world.

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 16, 08:10:58 PM by nocake »

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Terrain Tool Error - Action effects everything
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 16, 05:46:27 PM »

Hello,
There is an error that occurs when using the terrain tool for any of the terrain brushes.
Can you post that error up please? That will help us a lot find out what it is and where it is coming from.
Thank you,
Sarrene'

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 16, 07:32:13 PM »

This isnt an error that is in a console or anything. It is just a problem that occurs with the brush. You can be painting or moving terrain and during that one click it applies your brush to the entire active world. Maybe it occurs when the user clicks back into HE. I am not sure, all I know is you can some how apply the brush to the entire world with a single click sometimes!

"brush go off screen and suddenly your action is applied to the entire world."

I have seen this happen on multiple clients.

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 16, 08:05:42 PM »

I am not 100% sure what you mean by "off screen"
I have tried bring the brush off screen and over to the side, off the terrain, etc. I have not had this apply to the whole world. I have two areas linked, and depending on what i am doing, I can paint lines, squiggly roads, splotches, etc.

Now, if I slip with my mouse, I can make a line go across the terrain. Also if I am down too far or close to the ground and move my mouse in a broad stroke, I can make a line go across as well.

Is this what you mean?

Here is an area i did in about 10 minutes. I tried to test out different techniques, methods, tools, etc. But unless one of the two things I mentioned, everything is clean.

I am not able to reproduce this "entire world".  Same with click off and back into the view port (I presume that is what you meant?) Now if i click on the view point and on the terrain with an active brush, I do  make a spot where ever i clicked at.

Sample of a quick 10-15 minute terrain sculpt and paint.
https://gyazo.com/283da72bb7abe566fe74bcb493078b4d

Perhaps I am missing something. Looking forward to your assistance.
Sarrene'

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 16, 08:23:23 PM »

I am hoping someone else will provide further information.

I will try streaming and see if I can catch it.

BTW by offscreen I dont mean you move the cursor off screen I mean you see your mouse but where your mouse is there is no brush or area of brush to be seen on the screen.

Also note you can catch this problem if you are working in a larger area and client lags for a little while it calculates the brush applied to it (if it is a terrain altering brush)

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 16, 12:04:24 AM »

If you can narrow down a "repro" with steps to cause it , it would help alot.

Haven't seen anything such as this before, however there are "some" Blade functionalities that are similar to this,
such as using the "alt" key when performing any action with the terrain editor (applies to "all" in area).
An example would be the seam/stitch tool, any click while holding the alt key, seams/stitches all height maps in an entire area(so long as they're comparable in height/width/resolution).  Same for the height tool, and so on.

That said, see if perhaps its happening during a time when you're possibly pressing a key which the blade uses as a hotkey.

Also, you may have already noticed this, but there are numerous functionalities for each terrain tool depending on whether you have the "shift", "control", or "alt" keys held, or a combination of them.

Just some possible things to consider while trying to reproduce this.

Ratchet_Dev

• General Accounts
  • Ummm... yes?
    • View Profile
    • Omnivoid Site
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 16, 04:25:37 AM »

I think I know what he means. If you paint/edit your terrain and then move your brush from the terrain to the black area or skybox it freaks out and does some pretty weird things.
IF YOU NEED ANY HELP PLEASE PRIVATE MESSAGE ME!

Lead Programmer for OmniVoid & CEO of Shattered Studios.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 16, 04:59:21 AM »

Take a look at this short clip I made and see if what you see in the clip, is what you see on your blade, as far as the mouse, while using the tools.

https://youtu.be/C0578ADXJ4w

not sure what happened to the audio... but what i was explaining is, whether you're holding the mouse button down, when you drag off of the map, or not, it doesnt matter, you should get either a stack of blue rings (with no white) or the orange circles, which mean there is nothing there to paint. if you hold the alt key down and click everything in the area is painted or raised or whatever the brush you're using.

If you're not seeing the brush change to either of those two examples, then there may be an issue with driver versions or hardware that no one was aware of.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 16, 05:03:09 AM by ToY-Krun »

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 16, 02:13:50 PM »

Well this is not an error then it is just a bad shortcut mapping and no brush indication precursor!!!!

http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Terrain_panel#Apply_All

ALT+mouse wheel is also used for altering the brush size.
ALT+left click does not have any special brush indicator.

Can you please remap this shortcut (maybe ctrl+shift) and add a brush indicator for when the brush will be applied to the entire active world.

This way there is no way to accidentally click while mouse scrolling while changing brush sizes.
This would also allow the user to see that they have made their brush affect the entire world.

It is only noticeable if you do it accidentally when you have a large seamless stitched world as the client locks up computing everything for a few seconds (completely understandable).

Just to be clear, I am not the only one to have his problem. It has been brought to my attention through out the years but no one knew why they were doing it or how it was happening.

Also am I correct in understanding you cant ctrl+z an apply all action you have to SHIFT+ALT+Left Click?
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 16, 02:18:00 PM by nocake »

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 16, 06:02:17 PM »

ALT+mouse wheel is also used for altering the brush size.
I may be missing it, however  all you have to do is scroll the mouse wheel up and down to change the brush size. You should not have to use ALT+mouse wheel scroll. See:
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Terrain_panel#Brush_Size

Also am I correct in understanding you cant ctrl+z an apply all action you have to SHIFT+ALT+Left Click?
Ctrl+Z works just fine for me with any terrain tool application. Including the apply all.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 16, 06:26:13 PM »

it depends on the tool really, i agree that the number of functions/brush uses involved makes it a bit confusing at times.  I've been using it enough that im used to most of the uses, but i still end up hitting a button/key now and then and think... now what did i do..

This in conjunction with the "camera" controls such as holding the Ctrl key to move slower etc.

When i'm doing an "undo", i try to make sure im in Select or Translate mode and not terrain , to prevent taking an action I don't want, by accident.

I'm not sure if it can be made more "friendly" with as many tools/functions.  many of the hotkeys can be changed in the .ini, and some of the functionality can be changed in hsl. 

Maybe down the line we'll see a GUI for reconfiguring these to our personal tastes, that might help out.

It is only noticeable if you do it accidentally when you have a large seamless stitched world as the client locks up computing everything for a few seconds (completely understandable).

yeah this happens at times with very many Hmaps or assets, and as you pointed out, its expected, but yep, during that its easy to "think" its done and accidentally move/take action on something.

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 16, 08:10:36 PM »

A simple solution is changing the macro to ctrl+shift+left click (i dont think there is anything mapped to that) and also create a brush indication cursor for when you have that brush effect applied.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
Re: Terrain Tool Error - Action effects everything [solved]
« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 16, 05:03:34 PM »

Could not replicate this issue no matter how hard i tried.

Maybe a video showing the steps you do to invoke the error would be handy.