HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Trying to get back into it but I don't think it is working out.  (Read 1240 times)

Archwind

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

/begin rant

I stopped working on KoW a couple years ago. I was using Bigworlds engine and had some nice stuff going but the engine maker sold out and the indie got the shaft. I discontinued my website and started working with UE4 as hobby. I put up some videos of things I got done and was more or less just tinkering around with the engine.

Back in November of last year my wife had a stroke. It left her needing 24/7 nursing care. I was and still am deeply depressed and trying to get out of it. A couple months ago I though maybe working on KoW again would help me beat the depression so I decided to come back to HE.

I spent a couple nights looking at the engine and haven't touched it since. I just can't bring myself to work on it anymore. I honestly am so confused now. Going back a couple years I was able to get into HEscript and had somewhat understanding of the databases but now I am so confused and distracted by other things I don't think I will accomplish anything so the engine sits.

I think I am just to stressed out anymore.

How does one beat this nightmare?

/end rant

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to get back into it but I don't think it is working out.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 16, 08:34:10 PM »

Welcome back Arch!
    I am sorry to hear about your difficulties.  As you know, I fully understand much of what you said. I am glad you are well though and my best wishes go out to you and your family.

Aye, getting back into something that you have put aside for a while can be a bit difficult. A lot of my own frustrations when i face this is "I remember doing this but how??" SO trying to get the brain to remember some of that older knowledge can be a bit daunting at first.

Feel free to ask any questions you have, i am sure the community will be more than happy to help out in any way we can. And remember, there is nothing you can "break" that cannot get fixed.

Sarrene'

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 16, 12:41:10 AM »

Hey Archwind,

My suggestion would be to take a step back from your game and decide what exactly it is you want to work on. What feature do you think will be crucial to making your game feel how you want it to feel?

There is so much to do and so much to see! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anS1gd6_qXs

My other suggestion would be stop your current project, find a project that shares similar interest as yours and then offer to help on a feature in that game. Focus on 1-3 major skill sets within HE and polish those skills. You might find more reward working with other people and completing something together rather than struggling by yourself. Later you can take those skills and apply it to your game.

Hope this helps.

Building an MMO is incredibly overwhelming. This will be my 5th year with HE and I am barely starting to get alpha. That is with all the helpful systems copied from the HJREF by hand as well!

There is also the Discord channel for easy chat: https://discord.gg/0151gfyM2xwEIkUL1

Archwind

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 16, 05:56:43 AM »

@Sarrene

I would probably feel better if she were home as it has been nine months now. She never coming back! She is going to assisted living. Makes it tough on emotions if you know what I mean and yesterday was just one of those days.

@nocake,

Yeah I know exactly how daunting building a MMO is. If I ever get even started my plan was to build some systems and share them. As for my game, it is just a hobby. The team dispersed a couple years ago when the financial support was pulled. If I get settled down and can concentrate that is.

@everyone

Over the next couple weeks I hope to get my shit together and start something.