HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Unity3d models in to hero  (Read 1485 times)

Azkaosa

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Unity3d models in to hero
« on: Sep 02, 16, 01:50:29 PM »

Hey guys, I'm new around here and just got hero engine, I've been working in unity3d for about a year now and wanted to switch over to try a differnt engine with some buddy's for awhile but we have thousands of models that we have made on uninty3d will be be able to transfer them over or we going to have to do it one model at a time or can I just click and drag and drop it in, thank you guys for your time

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Unity3d models in to hero
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 16, 04:56:31 PM »

I'm afraid you'll have to convert them one at a time. You have to use 3DS Max or Maya, and install the HE Art Pipeline for one of them, and export each file to the HE format, which uses the Granny .HGM file format for models and .DDS for textures.

Start off with http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Art_Depot which explains why, then move along to http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Art_Pipeline

You will have to convert any textures to the .DDS format using Photoshop or GIMP, both have a DDS converter plugin (the Photoshop one comes from NVidia)

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 16, 07:19:04 PM »

As a programmer, I have been able to make some character models and add them to unity. That part is kind of easy. The hero engine is a lot more involved with the models. I have been given a reason, but not sure if I understand it. I heard it has to do with client / server?

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 16, 09:00:17 PM »

Well for the most part it's a simple problem of file format. You HAVE to use Max or Maya to use the HE scripts to be able to export in HE format. That's all there is to it. :)

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 16, 11:21:18 PM »

Once they have been exported to the proper format, you will be able to drag-n-drop them to upload to your game via a program called Repository Browser. That will allow you to upload groups of files at-a-time.

I have not worked with the export process much, either with Max or Maya. Does anyone know if there is a way to set up a macro or some sort of batch processing to speed up conversion?
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 16, 09:05:03 AM »

The export tools do have some Batch Export options, so you can do several at a time. You still have to import them into Max or Maya though, and I think Importing is 1 model/file at a time.

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 16, 01:57:38 PM »

For animation you will want to look into http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Animation_Agent_Script

For models if you will need to export each raw maya file you have. That file might have multiple models in it you can batch export how ever if every source file is a single model you will have to export them one by one.

You can probably script this but I dont think it would be worth the time. Just bring in what you need as you need it.
As well I don't know what changes are coming to the export functionality since we are getting a render update so I wouldn't waste time scripting anything, specially if you dont have the skill set to specifically do something like that.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 16, 04:25:37 PM »

Unity assets can be great for prototyping or placeholder. But they are cookie cutter and you will eventually want to replace them with your own where possible when you get to release anyway.

This is because if a thousand other games have the same assets as yours...it will be bad for your appearance.