HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Tips For Everyone =]  (Read 1400 times)

Ineedcash12

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Dead End Games Inc.
Tips For Everyone =]
« on: Jan 02, 12, 11:35:30 PM »

Tips List.

1. Floor plans for buildings, etc, for modern themed games can be made on The Sims, Floorplanner.com, or any other simple cad program.

This may help some teams that would like to see there creations on a digital copy first, before spending days creating objects in Maya or Max.

2. Take your time. Start on paper before spending days coding/designing only to find out your idea doesnt work.

Games don't generaly happen overnight, chances are you will change your game several times, as I have  ( For the better).

3. The players - Most important tip

Think of the players with every game desion.  Ask friends or even random gamers there thoughts. LISTEN TO FEEDBACK!

If anyone else has any tips for other developers, please post below and I will add them. These should be general tips like above.
Vortex Online - www.play-vortex.com
Dead End Games Inc. - www.dead-end-games.com

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Tips For Everyone =]
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 12, 07:24:02 AM »

Reaction to some tips + additional tips of mine

1) Thanks for the tip, I think going with a cad program would be better as you can probably export to max / maya and ease up your work.

2) There is never enough paper, but doesn't only work for game design, it's needed for concepts of area, cities and buildings too. I have also changed my game design several times over last 4-5 years. Mostly trying to remove stuff that isn't really needed ... stats that are there simply to be used to calculate more stats from them. My game idea was very complex and later I discovered I can do it in an easier way while still maintaining whatever I need.

3) You need to know your target audience. And I'd suggest asking random people, as friends might have a slightly more optimistic opinion since it's your game.

4) Study other MMO games. Discuss them! Try them ... free trial at least. So you can see what they did wrong, see what you don't like. Chances are that some game already has part of the design you want to use, so see if it actually works as intended. If you don't like something in other games, chances are that you won't like it in your own game either.

5) Ask yourself ... if I was looking for a game to play ... would I give my own game a try? Would I want to play my own game?

6) Don't assume you know all about games. There is always room for improvement.

7) Don't make another WoW copy or a copy of any other game, try to be original and think outside the box.

Ineedcash12

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Dead End Games Inc.
Re: Tips For Everyone =]
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 12, 06:07:16 PM »

That is a good idea to ask random people, I know of forums accross the net that may help with that. Ill post later. =]

My game is outside the box, then jumps in a box, well, box's that is. :P 

Vortex Online - www.play-vortex.com
Dead End Games Inc. - www.dead-end-games.com