HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: HeroEngine Collaboration Video  (Read 6572 times)

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
HeroEngine Collaboration Video
« on: Oct 14, 16, 06:08:08 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgKY9fe4Djk

Hero Engine is amazing collaboration engine but I am deeply confused why in the middle of re-writing the render code you would release this video?

How far are you from the render update that you needed to push this out after 3 years of video silence.
You should have saved that radio silence for the render update, the one thing we are all waiting for and the 1 thing you are advertising on your front page.

Now people will see this ad and like the engine but come to the site and see the render update. That will discourage them. It has discourage the few I have talked to that looked in HE in the past year.

You are killing confidence in your engine!

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
Re: HeroEngine Collaboration Video
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 16, 01:47:57 AM »

this was done for a specific purpose by community members , to help... and it was decided to share the video with the community...

We're sorry im sure if it offended in any way.

Posts like this "kill confidence" if there were more that felt that way.

We as world owners have what we paid for, what we agreed to, at the time we purchased our worlds.
The upcoming upgrades is a bonus I for one didn't expect.  What I do now, will be done when the upgrade does arrive.  If i had purchased my world today, it would have been with nothing more than a promise that in the future, the engine is getting a massive upgrade(s).  If you think about it I'm sure you'll find you purchased it with much the same attitude that I did.  Awesome engine (even as is), amazing platform, at a price I could afford.

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 16, 06:11:18 PM »

Hello Nocake.
    I am not sure what offended you, however our intention is to just show a more updated version of the engine and the collaboration abilities of HeroEngine.

Could you explain what you mean by "Now people will see this ad and like the engine but come to the site and see the render update. That will discourage them."?

Sarrene'

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 16, 07:27:02 PM »

(probably a little off topic)

It would be nice if more teams/groups collaborated in making these games. Adding in a base system and making a few changes can be faster than each group making their own system from scratch. Sharing speeds up production.

(oh well, wishful thinking)
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 16, 09:27:04 PM »

Reply to Thazager:
I know what you're saying! The best thing to do is ask people to join your team. I ended up joining Anvil of Honor because I know I can't make my own game by myself. This means my own game will be delayed, but it is worth it to me because I am part of a team who will help me when they/we have time. :)

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 16, 11:23:52 PM »

Reply to Thazager:
I know what you're saying! The best thing to do is ask people to join your team. I ended up joining Anvil of Honor because I know I can't make my own game by myself. This means my own game will be delayed, but it is worth it to me because I am part of a team who will help me when they/we have time. :)

how did you get out of the box??  Moar Morphs! :P

problem with collaborating on individual systems is that each coder/designer may have their own methods of handling things, but as games progress, and more teams find time, I'm sure basic systems will begin to find their way to the community, if not included in HE itself down the road, and we'll all learn from each other in doing so.

Theres even work going on that would allow sharing entire systems with easy setup.

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 16, 12:49:32 PM »

Hello Nocake.
    I am not sure what offended you, however our intention is to just show a more updated version of the engine and the collaboration abilities of HeroEngine.

Could you explain what you mean by "Now people will see this ad and like the engine but come to the site and see the render update. That will discourage them."?

Sarrene'

I am not offended, just baffled at business decisions is all.

This video was linked to me from someone else who is interested in this engine. His first thought was exactly the same as mine: "Why release this video before the render update?"

It raises doubt in the mind of the users as to your true progress in this render update and how much longer it will take.

If you were a month or 2 out then it would have been wise to wait to make this video with the new render engine and advertise it side by side.

Instead now I am assuming despite the progress bar page that the render update is still extremely far out.

Again, I am not the only one that had this as the first impression upon seeing this youtube video.

There are also forum posts that discuss this update may break things even though you are doing your hardest for that not to be the case you will still most likely need to export all your assets again through what I assume will be an new export method.

You keep creating uncertainty that leads to discouragement.

I would like to back HeroEngine but my current statement on the engine is:

"HeroEngine is by far the best collaborative game engine out there, a must for building an MMO. However the render engine is still extremely out dated and the health of the company is not clear. There are no known employees or a face to the CEO. Wait and see how they launch their render update and then decide after that. For now go with Unity or Unreal as they have massive communities to support this. However if you are going for a large scale MMO, HE is the only engine I know of that will help you obtain that environment."

« Last Edit: Oct 16, 16, 12:51:28 PM by nocake »

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 16, 03:53:11 PM »

The video was released because there was a deadline for a specific purpose/project. That's all. :)

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 16, 07:47:40 PM »

I don't understand the confusion here.  The video is clearly labeled Collaboration, so that is the focus of it and nothing else should be concluded from it, certainly not the rendering.  I'm guessing the assets used in the video are likely placeholders, so how they look doesn't really matter; they could have just as easily been simple whiteboxes; only with textures they look a little more interesting than that.

I also don't know why anyone would expect there to be incremental improvements in graphics while the work is ongoing. When the update is officially put out, at that point there would be an improvement. Until that happens, it is naturally not going to look any different.  In other words, how things looks in a video is no indication at all of how close the work is to being done.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 16, 10:53:19 AM »

Wow...brilliant video!!

More please :)

Archwind

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 16, 05:09:09 PM »

I don't see an issue here. In fact I am kind of relieved that the developer is making efforts to promote the product.

The engine has been around now for what? like 5 years? In this time frame I haven't seen any released project that would be generating revenue to support the developer so my BIGGEST concern is longevity of the product.

I have been involved in a number of other engine projects that have closed due to lack of revenue. In one case I had over 2 years of code. I could not see moving forward with it since the needed updates would never come so I stopped all development.

Right now I sit on the fence and watch what is going to happen over this subscription period and work on my own methodology to build the project. After Feb I can put more time in since I am retiring.

At that point in time I will make a decision weather or not I want the project MMO or just MP.

Akam_InfallibleDEV

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 16, 09:31:59 PM »

Hello all,

First and foremost, I realize my words won't carry a lot of weight as it is in fact my first time posting on the forums (long time lurker though ^_^) but I wanted to chime in anyways and offer an opinion on the subject. I've taken a couple days to compose my thoughts and this is what I've arrived at:

I'm pleased at the apparent renewed developer (and let's not forget community) motivation to promote the engine. If nothing else, it shows that the developers are serious about supporting their product. That being said, my initial, albeit brief first impression of the new video was simply this: After watching the 2 new videos, if I was completely and utterly ignorant of the fact that things like playlists existed, I never would of found the previous videos showing off the same thing. But I'm not completely and utterly ignorant. I'm aware of the 2 sets of videos that virtually show the same thing. Things like updated engine capabilities don't change that. In the end, they are both videos of Real-time collaboration and doesn't dissuade me from what I'm 100% aware of and already like.

But then I got to thinking that maybe the video isn't for me, or any one of the already established, dedicated community members. Perhaps it's for new clientele and if that's the case, then showing off "new" videos of improved capabilities is the way to attract potential developers who may of been sitting on the fence after watching the old videos and thinking to themselves "Maybe i'll wait until the video quality doesn't look like its from 2010?" Presentation is huge in this market and even though it's a new video showing off old, updated tech, one has to think it's not just about satisfying the current user base.

That being said, It's not all white knighting here. I understand a few people are frustrated. Long silence followed by the same song and dance can be heart breaking. The road map being what it is, I'm sure we will get new videos showcasing improvements to the engine and then we can go to other developers and show off what all the cool stuff we're getting. Better yet, we can see and use it for our selves. And then brag about all the cool new stuff we're using.

One final note before I ramble on for too long. New video content being at the heart of the conversation here, I for one would like to see more advanced, complete tutorials. Don't get me wrong. The wiki is helpful and the example worlds are great but it's one thing to be shown something that is done for you and then  having to reverse engineer everything to see how it all works together...it's another thing entirely to do the work with step by step video instructions. Maybe it's just the way I'm wired to learn but I feel like I and others could benefit from more advanced, complete tutorials. The basics no longer satisfy this hunger

Anyways thank you for reading. I look forward to posting more when I have something to post =)

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 16, 05:05:03 AM »

Just a few quick comments as pretty much everything has already been covered.

first of all, good comments and thoughts by all.

Now, as to this video...
It wasn't created for the community, nor for general publication... however , as was mentioned, it was decided to share it with the community.  It had a purpose.

Don't expect to see alot of "upgraded" assets (graphics yes, but assets not so much) as HE demonstrations are about showing what you can do with the Tools provided, not about fancy assets which you the builder must provide.
If we show an area full of beautiful models, then its more likely that people would expect to see those models as part of their package.  This is not the case.  The designers/modelers will show of that sort of thing for the assets they wish to sell.

Kind of hard to make a wireframe / checkerboard heightmap etc , look much better than it does already :)

Its true there have been videos in the past of a similar nature, however McIndus has been producing a new and updated set of tutorials which continue to go more in depth with each one, and this video was also a "replacement" so to speak also edited/compiled by him, for a specific reason, which had very specific requirements, and it was done.  He did an awesome job putting it together and we appreciate it.

Remember HE isnt about models / artwork etc, its an engine and a framework (the cloud) in which to put your models and artwork.   Will it get a "new look" ?  Yes, but this couldn't wait, and neither should any of us :P 

If this engine were not suitable, as is, as it has been, for our project, I would most definitely choose another.
If however it is the best choice for my project (and it is and has been) i would most definitely make use of it, and we are.  With or without updates, the Hero Engine was good enough to complete our project on 3 years ago, and that hasn't changed.  We are excited about the prospects for the future, however we have every tool we need currently.  (just as we decided when we purchased it).

Surely this can be let rest, unless anyone further intends to insist that those responsible for the video remove it and leave off sharing such with the community further.  This type of thread disuades those who CAN help from doing just that.

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 16, 06:20:11 PM »

Long silence followed by the same song and dance can be heart breaking.

We need more lurkers to come out.
So many stay silent.

https://discord.gg/0151gfyM2xwEIkUL1

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 16, 09:33:53 AM »

Agreed, lurkers need to come out of the woodwork and join us in the light of day.