HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: A few questions before buying  (Read 3283 times)

Skeeter135

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
A few questions before buying
« on: Nov 05, 16, 12:59:25 AM »

• Can you create different genres with this? ex. FPS, RPG, Action, etc
  • Can I build the game for multiple systems? ex. PC, Mac, Xbox, etc
  • Does this come with an account management?
  • Are there a lot of updated tutorials on how to use and set it up?
  • How hard is this to learn?
  • Does it come with a way of creating a dynamic character? ex. changing the head size, feet size etc
  • When a player equips an item, say a helmet, will the character be wearing the helmet?
  • Can I create a way of changing the players class in game by an item (Like equipping a dagger turns the player into a thief if the player knows how to be a thief) or an NPC? ex. FFXIV or FFXI

Ratchet_Dev

• General Accounts
  • Ummm... yes?
    • View Profile
    • Omnivoid Site
Re: A few questions before buying
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 16, 06:41:03 AM »

Can you create different genres with this?
 - Yes.

Can I build the game for multiple systems?
 - No.

Does this come with an account management?
 - Yes, that's half of what your paying for.

Are there a lot of updated tutorials on how to use and set it up?
 - No. You don't set it up, that's what your also paying for. The lovely engineers at IF set it up for you.

How hard is this to learn?
 - Depends on your programming and art skill. I find it hard but other community members have no issues.

Does it come with a way of creating a dynamic character?
 -  Yes, but this will be done with your code and art. It's not entirely built into the engine.

When a player equips an item, say a helmet, will the character be wearing the helmet?
 - Again, your code and art will do this. You will need to create an inventory system and a model of the helmet to then attach to the players head when they click the helmet in the inventory.

Can I create a way of changing the players class in game by an item (Like equipping a dagger turns the player into a thief if the player knows how to be a thief) or an NPC?
 - Yep, again your code. This is an Engine not an MMO Kit so you will have to program that all in yourself.
IF YOU NEED ANY HELP PLEASE PRIVATE MESSAGE ME!

Lead Programmer for OmniVoid & CEO of Shattered Studios.

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 16, 01:10:16 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/user/heroenginecompany/videos

I agree with all of Ratchets comments.

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 16, 02:12:00 PM »

Hello and welcome to the HeroEngine forums Skeeter135
Let me add a bit more to the answers already given by Ratchet_Dev:

Can you create different genres with this? ex. FPS, RPG, Action, etc
- Yes you can. If you can imagine it and it is an mmo, you can make it. We have a few samples that were created. Hero's Journey Reference, Space Reference, Social Reference,

Can I build the game for multiple systems? ex. PC, Mac, Xbox, etc
- Currently only PC (Desktop/Laptop) is supported. We may be looking at other options in the future that might include console.

Does this come with an account management?
- Yes it does. Account management is already built into the engine. There are also ways of expanding this via programming if a team so wishes. Account management handles everything from in game to billing.

Are there a lot of updated tutorials on how to use and set it up?
- There is no need to set up HeroEngine of you are using the HeroCloud platform. This is included in your yearly cost. If you wish to purchase source at any time, there is a minimal cost for staging and migration that you can opt in for if you do not want to do it yourself.

How hard is this to learn?
- As with any new programme, there is a learning curve. Most of the art is typical for standard game development, and improvements will be coming over the next year. For HSL (heroScript Language) it depends on each person. As Ratchet-Dev said, some pick it up really fast while others have taken a while to get used to it.

Does it come with a way of creating a dynamic character? ex. changing the head size, feet size etc
- A basic dynamic character is already provided with the license. So you can see how it is set up, what art and scripts are used and so on. SO you can use this as a template.
The ability is also there to create your own character system, dynamic and static alike. We also have additional art downloads to help you get started as sample art when you subscribe to HeroEngine.

When a player equips an item, say a helmet, will the character be wearing the helmet?
- Yes, as stated above, there is the sample character that you can see the changing of armour, clothing, hair and even face and body morphing capabilities. Any customization would be up to you or your team and does require both art and scripting.

Can I create a way of changing the players class in game by an item (Like equipping a dagger  turns the player into a thief if the player knows how to be a thief) or an NPC? ex. FFXIV or FFXI
- Yes you can. You can create almost anything you can think of using HeroEngine. However it is impossible forus to create "templates" for each and every possible style of game play, game genre and machanics. So we do provide the most basic in the engine and through the Reference worlds, it is up to each team to build their game the way they want it.

To add in a bit more, I would like to note that I have seen some amazing things done with HeroEngine. Some of these I never even thought of.

We also have a great community that I am very proud of. So there are plenty of ways of getting assistance, ideas, suggestions or just looking for someone to point you in the right direction.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. And once more, welcome to the HeroEngine community.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 16, 06:51:47 PM »

Regarding mmo's, I would add that really the game only needs to be an "o", so to speak (online). The engine cannot make an offline game. Although the engine does have extensive infrastructure in place to support massively-multiplayer games, the game does not need to be multiplayer at all, much less massively-multiplayer.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 16, 06:01:45 PM »

What they said.

You can make pretty much any type of game you want. Even single player games, but they would still have the online aspect for extra goodies you could think of making in a single player (multiplayer etc)

Skeeter135

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 16, 09:11:47 AM »

Ok, i just have been skeptical ever since I got something that said they did all of this but it ended up being a skin of the game that the company made. So far this sounds a lot better. I read through some of wikis that you have the site and started to get a basic idea on how to use it. My last question is on the difference between the licencing options. The number of users, is that the number of people that can connect to the game at once? If so is there a way to purchase more users when I am at that step?

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 16, 12:15:54 PM »

The number of users, is the amount of people you can have in your group working on the game as Devs. You can also set up what parts they can access through the management system. During the construction of the game, you really don't want actual players in there checking things out, unless they are also devs working on it. Once the game goes live, the amount of players can be a lot higher, and that amount is not set by the number of users.
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685