HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Understanding Texture Formats?  (Read 714 times)

Merrie

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Understanding Texture Formats?
« on: Dec 13, 16, 09:16:02 AM »

DDS format textures? I did some searching here and on the wiki, does Hero engine support something other then DDS? I saw some mention of png, I have a fairly large texture library and you can imagine how long it would take to convert the materials I use often to another format.

Thanks for the help on this one.

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
Re: Understanding Texture Formats?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 16, 10:03:11 AM »

It supports DDS and PNG. Im sure there are reasons to use one over the other but you could use either for models or GUI if you really had to. Ive used JPG on some static assets and GUI.

Never tried targa or tif but i suppose they would work.

HE-SARRENE

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 16, 10:49:45 AM »

Hello,
    DDS is an optimized format that is standard in the game industry, as it is a compressed optimized format. HeroEngine uses dds as well to help make sure that your game is as optimized as possible. It is not difficult to work with at all.
    For all assets in the game it is recommended to use dds as that will help optimize your game and you can use mip maps that helps improve visual and performance as well.

Here is one link for nvidia dds tools: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

- Sarrene

Merrie

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 16, 03:40:55 PM »

Thank you for the answers, I don't have Photoshop but I do have Paint.net installed  I can use as a converter as it has .dds export format in it.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 16, 03:50:47 PM »

Yes, I believe DDS is the (only?) format to support mipmaps which allow 3D assets to use smaller textures when rendered smaller.  For gui images which are rendered strictly in 2D we use PNGs since they don't need the extra overhead associated with mipmaps. But you can use DDS for GUI as well, and for all images if you choose.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.