HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Simple textured object as PC/NPC  (Read 857 times)

ChatniAeon

• General Accounts
  • Xenion
    • View Profile
    • Xenion Development Blog
Simple textured object as PC/NPC
« on: Jan 04, 17, 07:37:15 PM »

Greetings.

I have a question regarding character creation.

For my new project I want to create characters (both players and NPCs), that are simple cubes or spheres, with textures applied programmatically to them.

What I want to achieve, is something along the lines of using some default character (like female or something simple imported) in character creation area, hidding its geometry, and applying some basic object somewhere around the chest or head area, than giving it one of my textures. After that, player will be send to specific starting area, where they will get some informations (popups or clickable objects perhaps), and then when ready they move through one of "portals" that will give them their faction and apply relevant object and texture, and set some initial values (hitpoints, energy, basic damage, etc), then move them to proper faction starting areas with unique geometry.

Also NPCs will have something like this (except set by spawner script/objects), and some custom made AI (that is main focus of my game), with behaviors and dialogs.

I intend to have my game looks and feel similar to old Tron film, or Black Ice game, but simplier.

Any pointers, how to achieve this? I have read wiki and forum, but feeling bit lost currently. Also sheer ammount of interlinked scripts...

Thanks for any advice or pointers  :)
"Any technology advanced enough, is indistinguishable from magic." (A.C.Clarke)

Multiversum & Virtualis Vita Grid & Xenion owner/developer

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
Re: Simple textured object as PC/NPC
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 17, 10:06:58 PM »

Hide the player model with something like character["render"] = false
Then use the FX system to create your characters

You will need to look into the fx system a lot in order to accomplish this but it can be done.

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 17, 08:52:53 AM »

NoCake has an interesting idea, and it might work out for what you want. I personally would use the dynamic character parts system and dynamic texture banks. You can hide the character mesh and turn other parts, such as cubes, on and off as needed. You would just need to skin the objects to the player skeleton (which you could create and animate if the default doesn't work for you). The dynamic texture banks are probably the easiest method of swapping out materials on a player object, once you figure out how they work.
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Dynamic

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 17, 05:01:03 PM »

Importing and hiding a humanoid character seems overly complicated - wouldn't it be simpler just to import the basic object, as making  animations for it would be much easier as it would only use a single bone?
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

ChatniAeon

• General Accounts
  • Xenion
    • View Profile
    • Xenion Development Blog
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 17, 06:40:56 PM »

Thanks for replies :-)

nocake:
This seems perfect. :D Looking now into FX system (that I avoided until now, for no specific reason), and getting more and more hooked to its possibilities - not only for uses stated in this topic...  ;)

Amarak:
Dynamic character parts system and dynamic texture banks looks good, I would try it. Unfortunately my 3DS licence expired, so for now, I am stuck with what is already in repository. Hoping to get new soon...

Amanda_Brooks:
Maybe. But currently not possible (see above)...
"Any technology advanced enough, is indistinguishable from magic." (A.C.Clarke)

Multiversum & Virtualis Vita Grid & Xenion owner/developer