HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: (resolved)HeroBlade performance problem  (Read 2604 times)

GlorianLanTarini

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
(resolved)HeroBlade performance problem
« on: Jan 30, 17, 06:39:12 AM »

**********************************************************************************

I've renamed the thread, because found out that the DOM editor is not the cause of the problem.

**********************************************************************************

Hello all.

It started recently, and greatly disturb with work. I started to notice that opening and working with the DOM editor causes a hard drop of fps. And the force of the fall was growing with each passing day. Straight to 1 fps with the open editor. Meanwhile the editor is also more and more slow down with each passing day.
When working become impossible, I reinstalled the client. It didn't help. Then I made a clean reinstallation of the client, with the previous complete removal of everything linked. It helped, everything worked as before.
But, after a few days, the slowdown began again. A little in the beginning, then more and more. But, this time, after few days of growing slowdown, the editor starts simply to crash HEclient after any attempt to work with him.

What could cause this problem?

Someone else encountered it?

What can be done to avoid this?
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 17, 07:13:12 AM by GlorianLanTarini »

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
Re: DOM Editor problem
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 17, 10:23:43 AM »

Open your FPS graph, see if there is hundreds of server calls being generated every second.

GlorianLanTarini

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 17, 10:51:06 AM »

Open your FPS graph, see if there is hundreds of server calls being generated every second.

What color line should I looking? If the green - it appears only occasionally (every 10-15 seconds) but very high peaks. Btw, i find that my FPS graph looks strange - incomplete, without ping and horizontal lines. Before the problem it was normal.

And when I try to work with the DOM editor, the FPS graph stops at all, and begins to change only when the editor is hidden/closed.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 17, 10:53:48 AM by GlorianLanTarini »

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 17, 12:22:50 PM »

The DOM editor is sadly one of the few places that is not really backed up. Those working in DOM, can makes changes to nearly anything else in the DOM. The scripts made by HE (Hero Engine) devs are labeled at the bottom with messages that say they should not be changed. The reason is they make changes in the file they have and when a download comes, it resets any changes made by the devs in the individual groups. The classes and fields the HE devs set up also should not be changed, but they are not labeled as such.  Instead a new class should be made using the HE class as a parent for the new class, and changes made to the new class.

I have found our system slow way down at times, this was due to printing some values from the server on screen. They printed so fast as the function was called often, that they slowed down the frame rate. Its possible something like this might be happening.

The client prints info to the Console window, the server prints info to the Chat window.

GlorianLanTarini

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 17, 09:55:35 PM »

I've started a serious study of the problem. Try different options to understand what's causing the drop in FPS and the failure of the DOM editor.
And while, I can show the client crash report when I try to work with the editor.
HeroBlade Version: 2.6.7.33263:70

Problem:
(.NET) Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stack Trace:

DOMEditorPanel.filter(DOMEditorTab tabContext, String text, Boolean bName, Boolean bDesc, Boolean bType, Boolean bForceFilter)
   DOMEditorPanel.updateSortAndFilter(DOMEditorTab tabContext, Boolean bNameChange, Boolean bDescChange, Boolean bPackageChange, Boolean bTypeChange, Boolean bRehomeSelection)
   DOMEditorPanel.definitionFilterDelayTimer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Also, found the following line in the client log.
ObjectMgr:Object Leaks:97

Is this normal? Or this may be one of the reasons?

HE-CHRISTOPHER

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 17, 10:04:23 AM »

Hello GlorianLanTarini,

I logged into your world and did not notice any performance impact from having the DOM Editor open (both Server and Client).  As has been mentioned, the most common severe framerate drop in HeroBlade is when massive amounts of data/lines are being printed out to the Chat, Console, Error or HeroScript Errors panels.  I did not observe this happening during the time I was logged in, but such a thing could be area specific.

Another option might be incredibly large amounts of data being replicated to the client, or high frequency introduction/removal of replication groups to/from the client (which in turn may trigger significant amounts of script logic to be invoked).

Do you have a concrete set of steps we could follow to observe the framerate drop?

Best Regards,
Christopher
Christopher Larsen
CTO
HeroEngine

GlorianLanTarini

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 17, 06:47:06 PM »

Hello Christopher,

Do you have a concrete set of steps we could follow to observe the framerate drop?

Over the past day, I worked on finding concrete situation at which the drop of FPS begins. And here's what I found.

The DOM editor is not the cause but an indicator, as it starts to react first. The drop is not due to worktime or number of restarts of HBlade. But because sleeping-awaking of the world.

That is, the sequence for my machine is:

1) clean install - everything works perfectly, any time, any number of runs of the client, all still well.
2) the first sleep of the world, then awaken,
3) fps drops sharply.

Helps only a full uninstall and reinstall of the client. And only delete data in the folders in users\my_user\appdata\... is not enough. As well as just to uninstall the client. Need to do both.

Here is screenshots. I did a lot of them, but the most significant - these three:

After clean install, before problem
After world's sleeping-awaking, problem begins
With open DOM editor

It is particularly interesting how changes the graph. It is not just lower - it becomes very different.

Maybe all this will help in resolving the problem?

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 17, 07:00:11 PM »

Does anything show on the console or chat panels? Something that might look like its spamming?

GlorianLanTarini

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 17, 08:05:24 PM »

Does anything show on the console or chat panels? Something that might look like its spamming?

No, nothing excessive. And I really do all possible to avoid any kind of spamming or performance hit.

This problem really surprise me. Because it had started when I worked on new spec system. And it was not a special spec system, just another one. I mean, I didn't do anything special or extreme. Not created experimental program patterns, or something like that. Just usual stuff.

And as I said before, after fresh clean install - all work as it must. It's all about world's sleep. It's wierd. What is it can be?

Edit:
Btw, during observation I detect strange event:

https://yadi.sk/i/5cslM3fc3CABJv

It was as it look on graph. Suddenly, all become fast, and after 5-10 seconds FPS drop down again. It was several times, and every time there was green peak on graph before "good times".
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 17, 08:46:17 PM by GlorianLanTarini »

GlorianLanTarini

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: HeroBlade performance problem
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 17, 06:48:07 AM »

Additional info:

This problem not area-specific. If FPS drop begins - it will be low in all areas of my game world, include example areas and clean test area. Only one area is not affected - ID 1 - Starting area (CSS), but it content only GUIs. But DOM editor work slower in this area too.

And as I see, it's not world-specific. My HBlade show very low FPS in ref worlds too.

It's look like something happens with client. But what? And why always after my world sleep?
Unfortunately, I can't test it on another machine right now. Anyway, I need to do something to resolve this problem.

GlorianLanTarini

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: HeroBlade performance problem
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 17, 07:12:25 AM »

Well, look like problem was in my OS.
Because I was not able to reproduce this bug on another machine. And it disappeared after a full reinstallation of the OS and software.